Software for 2dweg animation

hecom

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,im making a /weg/ and i wonder wich software should i use to animate 2d games.
for reference ; umichan games,meet and fuck games and Wildside Comix games.
thanks for help !

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I use it's got a lot of good engine integrations, and the tools are good. A lot of people are using

Which one you prefer is largely your workflow; I think Live2D may be slightly better adapted for still characters, while Spine's got a stronger realtime toolset (for things like IK, etc).

Live2D

Spine

simslove2000

Game Developer
May 11, 2019
I use it's got a lot of good engine integrations, and the tools are good. A lot of people are using

Which one you prefer is largely your workflow; I think Live2D may be slightly better adapted for still characters, while Spine's got a stronger realtime toolset (for things like IK, etc).
I've been wondering about having a play with one of these tools, but was hoping could do something more modular, aka build some generic assets as a simple foundation for other adult games, ideally so with a bit of alteration you could change one characters hair, eyes... and the animations still largely work.

You reckon something like this would be possible/functional within spine2d?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Spine2D's more or less built for that. There's two core systems you need to look at; slots and skins. Slots are place-holders for sprites; you could have multiple slots, which are toggled on/off (or adjusted for alpha) either by animation or code.
sarah_1.gif

Sarah here is one of the antagonists in Love of Magic; she's composed of 4 slots. The first one is the base layer head (separated across two bones), and 4 partial sprites (two used for the eyes, one for the mouth). The alpha of the blink/eye/mouth are then controlled by animations.

You can also group sprites into a 'skin'. Sarah has 10 different emotional states; each one assigns a different set of sprites to the 4 slots. So by changing the skin she changes from angry to happy using the same animations .

Finally, all that can also be controlled from script. So if you had 10 eye slots, and you wanted just the Blue eyes to be visible, you could use code to hide every slot with "eye_" in it that's not "eye_blue".

Hope that makes sense, if not feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: redraw

simslove2000

Game Developer
May 11, 2019
Thanks a bunch, will have look, liked the sound and was intrigued before, but been sticking to html stuff, but just checked and it seems to have some nice options for web exports.
Any recommendations for tutorials?

simslove2000

Game Developer
May 11, 2019
One more small question, are the tools in Pro version a necessity or just nice extras for seasoned developers?