VN Ren'Py Soles of Lakeview [Development Thread & Log]

Soniram

Creating EC:A
Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
sol2.png
Soles of Lakeview:

This is the development thread for a side project tentatively called Soles of Lakeview. As you may be able to tell from the title, it will be a heavily foot-fetish themed game developed individually by myself with the Koikatsu engine. As it is a side project, it will receive less time in development compared to my current main project, Endara Chronicles: The Apothecary. Eventually, though, it will be released and get periodic updates as time allows.

Please feel free to read through the topics below. As this is in pre-alpha state, some things may change.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: lala142003
Mar 17, 2021
OK, so first of all, I've never really liked KK characters; to me they look more like paper figures. Personal preference, please don't take that personally. However, if you want to improve your feet to make them look more like actual feet, give a little more attention to the balls of the feet and the heel. You might be able to shade the insteps to give them more of a foot appearance. Also, work with the toes a little more: shorter, wider, etc. Heavier people tend to have wider feet; shorter, thinner people tend to have longer, skinnier feet. Obviously, this isn't always the case, but I believe it works in general.

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for developing a game wherein the MC actually has a foot fetish, and moreso a female MC having a female foot fetish! I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the game. I also have had an idea for a game that is lesbian foot fetish focused, except with some sensual dom content. I briefly posted about this in a different thread. Anyway, we definitely don't see enough MCs actually liking feet, and less so lesbians liking feet.

What other things are you looking for help with?

Reactions: Soniram

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
OK, so first of all, I've never really liked KK characters; to me they look more like paper figures. Personal preference, please don't take that personally. However, if you want to improve your feet to make them look more like actual feet, give a little more attention to the balls of the feet and the heel. You might be able to shade the insteps to give them more of a foot appearance. Also, work with the toes a little more: shorter, wider, etc. Heavier people tend to have wider feet; shorter, thinner people tend to have longer, skinnier feet. Obviously, this isn't always the case, but I believe it works in general.
Thank you for the input. Options for what platform to use boil down to KK and HS2. When I first started really looking into what either one can do, one of the major deciding factors was how the soles looked. HS2 base soles look... bad. Just bad. KK wasn't much better, but it is better. Now that I've learned about overlays, I'm sure there are some available in HS2, and when I get to doing HS2 in the future, I'm sure I will revisit this theme.

Using DAZ, for right now, is not an option. Hardware aside, I don't have the time to learn a complete new platform especially when my main project is being done in KK. I think if I can put in the effort and time, both my main project and this one can be look pretty damned good in the end.

Regarding the actual artwork for the overlays... my graphic ability is rudimentary, and that's generous. I'm in complete agreement to putting more into the balls and heel, and I've been fiddling around with various overlays mixing them and adjusting shades, transparency, and designs to see what I can come up with. I'm about 75% happy with what I've come up with, but there will be more tweaking before any actual content is released.

I'm not sure if you've actually worked with KK before, but I have no idea how to adjust toes other than the base adjustments in the character editor. It would make me immensely happy if I could do the graphical artwork to make them look more realistic.

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for developing a game wherein the MC actually has a foot fetish, and moreso a female MC having a female foot fetish! I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the game. I also have had an idea for a game that is lesbian foot fetish focused, except with some sensual dom content. I briefly posted about this in a different thread. Anyway, we definitely don't see enough MCs actually liking feet, and less so lesbians liking feet.
Lesbian foot fetish is near the top of my likes. I've always had thoughts about developing stories/games with it as a main theme. I'm glad there are others that are wanting a game such as this, and I'm looking forward to yours as well. While I'm not into the domination aspect of the fetish, content is content for something as under-utilized as this is.

What other things are you looking for help with?
One of the biggest things I'd like to have feedback on is the general character design. Not just the coloration/design of the soles, but faces, proportions, hairstyles, clothes, skin tones, makeup, etc. Many KK games have very similar looking characters (in my opinion), so I try to make characters a bit unique so you can look at one of the characters in my games and say, "Hey, I know that one."

Mar 17, 2021
Thank you for the input. Options for what platform to use boil down to KK and HS2. When I first started really looking into what either one can do, one of the major deciding factors was how the soles looked. HS2 base soles look... bad. Just bad. KK wasn't much better, but it is better. Now that I've learned about overlays, I'm sure there are some available in HS2, and when I get to doing HS2 in the future, I'm sure I will revisit this theme.

Using DAZ, for right now, is not an option. Hardware aside, I don't have the time to learn a complete new platform especially when my main project is being done in KK. I think if I can put in the effort and time, both my main project and this one can be look pretty damned good in the end.

Regarding the actual artwork for the overlays... my graphic ability is rudimentary, and that's generous. I'm in complete agreement to putting more into the balls and heel, and I've been fiddling around with various overlays mixing them and adjusting shades, transparency, and designs to see what I can come up with. I'm about 75% happy with what I've come up with, but there will be more tweaking before any actual content is released.

I'm not sure if you've actually worked with KK before, but I have no idea how to adjust toes other than the base adjustments in the character editor. It would make me immensely happy if I could do the graphical artwork to make them look more realistic.

Lesbian foot fetish is near the top of my likes. I've always had thoughts about developing stories/games with it as a main theme. I'm glad there are others that are wanting a game such as this, and I'm looking forward to yours as well. While I'm not into the domination aspect of the fetish, content is content for something as under-utilized as this is.

One of the biggest things I'd like to have feedback on is the general character design. Not just the coloration/design of the soles, but faces, proportions, hairstyles, clothes, skin tones, makeup, etc. Many KK games have very similar looking characters (in my opinion), so I try to make characters a bit unique so you can look at one of the characters in my games and say, "Hey, I know that one."
I haven't worked with KK before, and I'm not sure that I want to. I think IF I were to do a game, I would commission out the artwork and have it all hand drawn. I have no artistic in that way, and no time to learn it. I also do not have the time to learn the coding, either, but I have had the thoughts to try, even if it is to create a little card game system and try to get it to work. Again, I have no time for it.

I wish I could help you more on how to work with the toes. It sounds like the feet are an asset already created, so they are all the same coming directly from KK. Unfortunately, my only suggestion with this is to create overlay after overlay to block out the original asset and create the images/animations you want.

As far as your character designs, I think they are well on their way. I wouldn't change anything style-wise, but I only glanced at them a few times.

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
I haven't worked with KK before, and I'm not sure that I want to. I think IF I were to do a game, I would commission out the artwork and have it all hand drawn. I have no artistic in that way, and no time to learn it. I also do not have the time to learn the coding, either, but I have had the thoughts to try, even if it is to create a little card game system and try to get it to work. Again, I have no time for it.

I wish I could help you more on how to work with the toes. It sounds like the feet are an asset already created, so they are all the same coming directly from KK. Unfortunately, my only suggestion with this is to create overlay after overlay to block out the original asset and create the images/animations you want.

As far as your character designs, I think they are well on their way. I wouldn't change anything style-wise, but I only glanced at them a few times.
I've done the relying on others in the past, and it doesn't work. Costly, slow, and never know when the person might just up and disappear.

I am working on different overlays and mix-matching them to see what looks right. It's still in the very early testing stages and my skill is considerably below bar, but the only way to go is up.

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
While my other project is in alpha-testing and I'm waiting for reports on any bugs/typos, I've been putting in some more work on Soles of Lakeview. Still not sure I like the name.

I've edited the second post with updated images of the characters. I think the look is better, though base skin tones may darken a bit for a couple characters.

The first chapter/prologue is written and images are being made. I've never done a VN type story before so it's a little slow-going as I go through the written dialogue and blocking. There's no set date for releasing SoL. With luck, it could be first half of October, otherwise it will likely be early 2023.

Mar 17, 2021
syn01-edited.png
OK, so these are the areas that traditionally bother me about KK. I would work on these areas. For the sides of the feet, you could give them a little curve, or lighten the solid lines. At the pinky toe, you could add a little bit more shading to define the edge of the toe, and make the balls of the feet more of one unit, rather than two. Shading-wise, it looks better than standard.

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
I'm not sure what you mean by traditionally bothering you. This is an image of the same kind of pose of a standard KK sole:
There is very little, if any, definition. I've been doing a lot of mixing/matching of overlays and I've tried to do some editing beyond messing with transparency and coloration, but many of my trials have resulted in some pretty... uhm... interesting results.

Also, the area on the side where the line 'appears' is a matter of the lighting, not the overlay.
That's two images of the same character you posted above (short black hair). There is a very faint line in the second image but it is not the line you pointed out. It is more a factor of lighting, which I'm still learning.

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to make them up to your high standards. My talent for artwork is mediocre on the best of days, and I do not have the time or capital to become a master artist or hire someone to do it.

Mar 17, 2021
I'm not sure what you mean by traditionally bothering you. This is an image of the same kind of pose of a standard KK sole:
There is very little, if any, definition. I've been doing a lot of mixing/matching of overlays and I've tried to do some editing beyond messing with transparency and coloration, but many of my trials have resulted in some pretty... uhm... interesting results.

Also, the area on the side where the line 'appears' is a matter of the lighting, not the overlay.
That's two images of the same character you posted above (short black hair). There is a very faint line in the second image but it is not the line you pointed out. It is more a factor of lighting, which I'm still learning.

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to make them up to your high standards. My talent for artwork is mediocre on the best of days, and I do not have the time or capital to become a master artist or hire someone to do it.
Please do not take my suggestions so hard. I thought I was helping you. I took a lot of time when I was younger to study feet and my foot fetish to get more in-depth with it. I actually really enjoy the images you have posted here (the two above); they look good. My issue tends to be with KK itself or with devs who don't really do anything with it or some other unknown feeling I'm trying to describe. You are trying; I appreciate that, and I still look forward to seeing what you have in store.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea how KK works or how you can use it and other programs to customize content. I'm an end user who is detailed oriented and I see how things could be improved (with no time/ability to do it myself). However, I am in the business of helping people and sometimes the best way I can try to describe something is to show what I mean. It's OK that you don't have the skill to be where you want to be; you have to start somewhere.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need a blunt opinion or need help with alternatives or anything of the sort. In fact, if you like what you finish with and you like what you hear, I'd be happy to pass my idea off to you. We can talk about that later.

Reactions: Soniram

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
What I am feeling is frustration because I don't have the ability to make it perfect. Those of us with ADHD want to make things 100% perfect the first time we try. If we don't, we can get frustrated and just give up, walk away, and never try again. I lashed out a bit, and I apologize.

I won't go into trying to explain how KK works with skins and overlays. I only understand maybe a tenth of how it really works, and it's neither here nor there. There will be a point where a decision has to be made that says, "this is the best it can be." The characters are pretty much at that point now, so I think I'll be going forward with some final minor changes and start creating.

Time seems to be on my side, so there's likely going to be a demo/prologue out within a week or two.

Even though I may get snarky in comments, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the criticisms and the feedback. Please keep the suggestions and thoughts coming.

Reactions: rimarakuiscoming

Soniram

Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
Quick question is this gonna be a sandbox or something more linear?
This is going to be linear to an extent. The plan is always subject to change, but the first section is definitely linear. I have it in mind to make some things optional through decision to skip certain characters/scenes/etc., similar to how My New Family works. It's definitely not going to be that long, and there won't be that many characters.

I do plan to add other characters, mainly taking suggestions from those who enjoy the game and join the very new .

Reactions: rimarakuiscoming