[SOLVED ] an Help for a question about the skin render in DAZ

Dag Robertson

2D Artist
Game Developer
Jun 20, 2017
Hi,

I want to apologize for my question right away, but I just installed DAZ and everything about 3D is new to me.

I would like to modify some things about the skin of the models and would like to use photoshop to make these changes.

Are the skin renders images or are they internal structure files of the functioning of the 3D software? Are these files that can be managed as an image and therefore also with photoshop?

If the manipulation of the skin render should only be done with the DAZ software (or Blender or others like it) then my question ends here.

If on the other hand it was possible to treat these objects with Photoshop, is there anyone who knows where to find these files on my PC and possibly how they should be treated before being opened in photoshop?

Thank you very much

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I assume you're talking about Iray, correct me if I'm wrong.
Any "object" you render use Iray shader, who works with multiple layers of textures.
You can look at any textures (including where they are stocked) of any surfaces in the surface pane (Window>Pane>Surface) and yes you can modify them in PS.

Some textures of a face :

DAZStudio_0QaOkJbfrl.png

Dag Robertson

2D Artist
Game Developer
Jun 20, 2017
I assume you're talking about Iray, correct me if I'm wrong.
Any "object" you render use Iray shader, who works with multiple layers of textures.
You can look at any textures (including where they are stocked) of any surfaces in the surface pane (Window>Pane>Surface) and yes you can modify them in PS.

Some textures of a face :

View attachment 534505
Thanks
tomorrow I will see and try to search the files and if I will find what I need I will do some test

have a nice day

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks
tomorrow I will see and try to search the files and if I will find what I need I will do some test

have a nice day
no__name pointed you to the correct place. A few additions to the information:
  1. If you click on the little image icon (the face) you'll get a BIG popup. But if you select "Browse", you'll get an "Open File" dialog that will be located in the directory that the file lives in. That can help you locate things. Then all you have to do is figure out the file name.
  2. This should be obvious, but I strongly recommend that you do NOT modify the original textures. Edit a copy.
  3. Depending on what you're trying to do, the Layered Image Editor (LIE) is another option. This allows you to create a second (or third or fourth) image and "stack" it (them) on top of the base image without altering the base image. This is used in many Daz add-ons to do make-up, add scars, etc.
Also, one caveat - Daz really likes the images that you apply to figures to be located under the "data" or "Runtime" folders in your content directory. Most commonly, if you're going to create new ones, you'd want to put them in <your content directory>/Runtime/Textures/<folder with your name>. This has to do with how Daz stores information inside the scene files. You can put the files elsewhere, but if you put them in the wrong place, you end up with hard-coded paths (rather than relative paths) that can bite you if you later move your Daz installed content to a different location.

Dag Robertson

2D Artist
Game Developer
Jun 20, 2017
no__name pointed you to the correct place. A few additions to the information:
  1. If you click on the little image icon (the face) you'll get a BIG popup. But if you select "Browse", you'll get an "Open File" dialog that will be located in the directory that the file lives in. That can help you locate things. Then all you have to do is figure out the file name.
  2. This should be obvious, but I strongly recommend that you do NOT modify the original textures. Edit a copy.
  3. Depending on what you're trying to do, the Layered Image Editor (LIE) is another option. This allows you to create a second (or third or fourth) image and "stack" it (them) on top of the base image without altering the base image. This is used in many Daz add-ons to do make-up, add scars, etc.
Also, one caveat - Daz really likes the images that you apply to figures to be located under the "data" or "Runtime" folders in your content directory. Most commonly, if you're going to create new ones, you'd want to put them in <your content directory>/Runtime/Textures/<folder with your name>. This has to do with how Daz stores information inside the scene files. You can put the files elsewhere, but if you put them in the wrong place, you end up with hard-coded paths (rather than relative paths) that can bite you if you later move your Daz installed content to a different location.
Really clear thanks for this implementation of informations.

see you