Ren'Py [Solved] Can you detect if someone is playing on a web browser? (Yes, you can!)

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
There are websites like Gamecore that have taken my game (and just about everyone else's) and made them playable on their website. I am ok with this, since my VN is free anyways. The problem is it doesn't seem to play perfectly. Depending on your setup, it looks like it may not play webm's.

I'm wondering if it's possible to display a screen that pops up only if someone is playing it through a web client? If it's possible, I'll add a screen that says something to the effect of, "Hey, I see that you're playing on the web. You'll get a better experience if you download the game here."

Thanks.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
There are websites like Gamecore that have taken my game (and just about everyone else's) and made them playable on their website. I am ok with this, since my VN is free anyways. The problem is it doesn't seem to play perfectly. Depending on your setup, it looks like it may not play webm's.

I'm wondering if it's possible to display a screen that pops up only if someone is playing it through a web client? If it's possible, I'll add a screen that says something to the effect of, "Hey, I see that you're playing on the web. You'll get a better experience if you download the game here."

Thanks.
They are using which does not support videos, including webm unfortunately.
My game just wouldn't run at all, so I am actually surprised that they can make it run, I'd feel lucky as it's extra visibility.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I do feel lucky. It's great. I got a ton of new patrons from it. But those people aren't getting the full experience of my VN and I'd love them to know that. Of course I can just toss up a message in the intro to let everyone know, but if I could just reach those who play through a web client, that would be ideal.