Ren'Py [Solved]double vision

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I have download Let's Code Season 4 - This Time It's Personal code to play around with when I was testing it...
When I click start then go into the save menu then click on Main Menu then click on start it show double of everything like character/location_buttons/action_buttons.
on his patreon page he ask not to share the code.
there is no errors only when it show double..

like so in the image maybe you might have a idea why it showing double vision?

well here is the script file only not the assets

Link Removed

his patreon page if you want to download you need to be a patreon $7

or you can just watch the videos

he hasn't responded back it's been 3 days now

I just want to use the action buttons and character code he has made but they show double vision as well after removing the other codes
I have looked through the hole code but I don't see what's wrong and why it's showing double vision it looks like there is something is missing or something

screenshot0005.png

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When I click start then go into the save menu then click on Main Menu then click on start it show double of everything like character/location_buttons/action_buttons.
Ok, I don't really have the time to look at the code, but:
Code:
init python:
    myList = []

label start:
    $ myList.append( "ABC" )
    "[myList]"
    "Go to main menu and restart... It's magic "
Boom, I reproduced the problem.

It's perhaps not directly this way that it happen for him, but it's the same reason.

So, my first advice would be to stop giving $7 to someone who expect to teach while not having the most basis knowledge regarding Ren'Py.

I mean, it's in the documentation. I don't remember precisely where and how it's said, but globally it's this:
The init phase is performed once and only once, before the game starts (what here mean "before the main menu appear for the first time"). And the define statement follow the same rules than the init phase.
And obviously, like it regard variables creation and behavior, it's really the first thing you need to understand if you want to teach ; and it should be the first thing you teach...

To solve the issue, declare correctly all the variables with default, and you shouldn't see double anymore.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Ok, I don't really have the time to look at the code, but:
Code:
init python:
    myList = []

label start:
    $ myList.append( "ABC" )
    "[myList]"
    "Go to main menu and restart... It's magic "
Boom, I reproduced the problem.

It's perhaps not directly this way that it happen for him, but it's the same reason.

So, my first advice would be to stop giving $7 to someone who expect to teach while not having the most basis knowledge regarding Ren'Py.

I mean, it's in the documentation. I don't remember precisely where and how it's said, but globally it's this:
The init phase is performed once and only once, before the game starts (what here mean "before the main menu appear for the first time"). And the define statement follow the same rules than the init phase.
And obviously, like it regard variables creation and behavior, it's really the first thing you need to understand if you want to teach ; and it should be the first thing you teach...

To solve the issue, declare correctly all the variables with default, and you shouldn't see double anymore.
thanks