Ren'Py [Solved]Functions and variables

GoldenD

Sep 30, 2018
Hi guys,
another trouble with the following code.
The first idea was to use a variable to display one picture : that's allright.
But now I have to resize the picture because container or displayable does'nt respect the original size. And there, the scale function doesn't understand my variable ?

Code:
    .../...
    define idSpeaker = "myPicture"
    .../...

vbox:
        yalign 1.0

window:
            style "vbox_window"
            text what id "what"

# THIS CODE IS OK, ADD READ VARIABLE idSpeaker

# add "images/characters/[idSpeaker].jpg" xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

# BAD : FactorScale doesn't translate variable

add im.FactorScale("images/characters/[idSpeaker].jpg",87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
            # Couldn't find file 'images/characters/[idSpeaker].jpg'
Of course, with FactorScale, if i replace [idSpeaker] by myPicture, everything works fine .

An idea, a dream, a cup of tea ?

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I'm not sure, but you can try that:

Python:
    .../...
    .../...

vbox:
        yalign 1.0

window:
            style "vbox_window"
            text what id "what"

add im.FactorScale("images/characters/%d.jpg" %idSpeaker,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
or this:
Python:
    .../...
    .../...

vbox:
        yalign 1.0

window:
            style "vbox_window"
            text what id "what"

add im.FactorScale("images/characters/%d.jpg" % (idSpeaker) ,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And there, the scale function doesn't understand my variable ?
It's normal, text interpolation is a feature of Ren'py, and can only works with Ren'py statements (and yet not all of them). It will never works with anything else, especially not with the parameters past to a function, like in this particular case.

You can define you image otherwise, then use the created displayable in place of the full path to the image :
Code:
image speaker = "images/characters/[idSpeaker].jpg"

screen whatever():
[...]
            # add speaker xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
[...]
            add im.FactorScale( speaker ,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
Or you can use Python's text interpolation, like showed by mgomez0077 (Er... shouldn't it be %s instead of %d ?) , or like this :
Code:
            add im.FactorScale("images/characters/{}.jpg".format( idSpeaker ) ,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

All this said, you'll then discover that is absolutely not what you thought it was ; well, unless you effectively wanted your image to be 87 times wider and 113 times higher that the original, but I doubt of that.
What you need to use is , coupled to an add with a defined size :
Code:
            add Frame("images/characters/{}.jpg".format( idSpeaker ) ) size( 87, 113 ) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

GoldenD

Sep 30, 2018
It's normal, text interpolation is a feature of Ren'py, and can only works with Ren'py statements (and yet not all of them). It will never works with anything else, especially not with the parameters past to a function, like in this particular case.

You can define you image otherwise, then use the created displayable in place of the full path to the image :
Code:
image speaker = "images/characters/[idSpeaker].jpg"

screen whatever():
[...]
            # add speaker xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
[...]
            add im.FactorScale( speaker ,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5
Or you can use Python's text interpolation, like showed by mgomez0077 (Er... shouldn't it be %s instead of %d ?) , or like this :
Code:
            add im.FactorScale("images/characters/{}.jpg".format( idSpeaker ) ,87,113) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

All this said, you'll then discover that is absolutely not what you thought it was ; well, unless you effectively wanted your image to be 87 times wider and 113 times higher that the original, but I doubt of that.
What you need to use is , coupled to an add with a defined size :
Code:
            add Frame("images/characters/{}.jpg".format( idSpeaker ) ) size( 87, 113 ) xalign 0.0 yalign 0.5

Hey guys,
what a team !
Ok for the last soluce with frame. The others using Python's text interpolation crash with "out of memory" but i notice the syntax which is different of what i tried and find on the net.

See you soon guys, and the subject will be : adding a key action...

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
By the way, now that you've mentioned it, what's the difference between using %d or %s ? :unsure:
Thanks!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
By the way, now that you've mentioned it, what's the difference between using %d or %s ? :unsure:
Thanks!
Promise me to not hit your head too hard, because when you'll see it, it will become obvious : %s is for strings, while %d is for decimal values.

• Haha
Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Ugh... I can't promise, lol :eek::ROFLMAO:

Well, now it makes sense, in my game I once used %d when dealing with numbers, now I understand.

Thanks ;)

Reactions: anne O'nymous