Daz [SOLVED] Keeping the Render settings after closing DAZ studio

Aug 20, 2018
Hi, today before I went to work, I have had the render queue set up.

manFriday's render queue

29 images to render,

texture compression
4000 8000
max samples
max time
other settings, default...

I came back after 8h and it was rendering the first picture on 26%, (i thought max render time means, how much time is spent on render)

the picture was of course super clean, beautiful...

What could have been wrong?

Thanx

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
8h and 26%... it's very strange, your scene probably won't fit in the GPU's VRAM and has rendered through the CPU, which is much slower.
Maybe it has something to do with the values you modified in "texture compression", try leaving the default ones.

Another strange thing is that you've set 3600 at "max time", and apparently it hasn't listened to you, lol

Aug 20, 2018
8h and 26%... it's very strange, your scene probably won't fit in the GPU's VRAM and has rendered through the CPU, which is much slower.
Maybe it has something to do with the values you modified in "texture compression", try leaving the default ones.

Another strange thing is that you've set 3600 at "max time", and apparently it hasn't listened to you, lol
so it's not normal, ok... I'll fix it hopefully

thanks!

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Two things

One - never ever assume the renders in the render queue are all good to go. If you have say 5 renders in once setup/scene you should always render the first one for a few minutes and see how fast it is rendering so you can estimate the total time.

Two Untick the rendering quality enabled, as far as I know, if that is ticked it will ignore what is above it and render it until it thinks it is ready (unsure on this). Try unticking it and render one out (I never tick it)

You should be playing with and getting the render settings right before you hit the button and go to work :p

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Two Untick the rendering quality enabled, as far as I know, if that is ticked it will ignore what is above it and render it until it thinks it is ready (unsure on this). Try unticking it and render one out (I never tick it)
As far as I know (I may be wrong), when using "Rendering Quality Enable", rendering will stop when it reaches this value, or "Max Samples", or "Max Time"; however, if it is off, rendering will only stop when it reaches the value set in "Max Samples" or "Max Time".
Personally I always leave the "Max Time" at 0 (infinite), because why limit the rendering to a certain time? :p

If you are not going to use the "Render Quality Enable" at 95% (max time=0, max samples=5.000) which will give good results in 95% of the cases, better disable the "Render Quality Enable", set the "Max Time" to 0, set the "Max Samples" very high (10.000 maybe) and do a test render to see in how many iterations it looks good, then you will have the correct value of "Max Samples" for the rest of the renders of the same scene (same light, stage, characters).

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
As far as I know (I may be wrong), when using "Rendering Quality Enable", rendering will stop when it reaches this value, or "Max Samples", or "Max Time"; however, if it is off, rendering will only stop when it reaches the value set in "Max Samples" or "Max Time".
Personally I always leave the "Max Time" at 0 (infinite), because why limit the rendering to a certain time? :p

If you are not going to use the "Render Quality Enable" at 95% (max time=0, max samples=5.000) which will give good results in 95% of the cases, better disable the "Render Quality Enable", set the "Max Time" to 0, set the "Max Samples" very high (10.000 maybe) and do a test render to see in how many iterations it looks good, then you will have the correct value of "Max Samples" for the rest of the renders of the same scene (same light, stage, characters).
I have seen tuts that agree with me and others that agree with you lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Porcus Dev
Aug 20, 2018
So I found something,

progressive rendering
max time always jumps back to default when using man Fridays render queue, however, in parameter settings I am unable to set the default max time. Immediately after running the render queue, defaults are set back to default defaults... max time, max samples, rendering quality enable... The plugin completely ignores the preset stats and set them back to default by DAZ...

Aug 20, 2018
So I found something,

progressive rendering
max time always jumps back to default when using man Fridays render queue, however, in parameter settings I am unable to set the default max time. Immediately after running the render queue, defaults are set back to default defaults... max time, max samples, rendering quality enable... The plugin completely ignores the preset stats and set them back to default by DAZ...
the same thing happens with Render A Lot

Aug 20, 2018
The only solution so far is the Render A Lot, while in preferences under render settings the Ignore when opening a scene file is selected... The pre-set render settings remain the same. Because Render a Lot do not close the DAZ after each finished render, so the settings would remain the same...

Capture.PNG

Anyway, I would like to hear some advice on, how to set the setting defaults, without DAZ resetting them after each startup.

Thanks!

Reactions: ShamanLab

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
:unsure:

Sounds like you're using the latest version of Daz, which after testing, I have to say...WTF! It didn't take me two days to go back to the previous version, lol :mad::ROFLMAO:

I'm talking about 4.12.1.116 and 4.12.1.117... they had several problems when saving scenes and reopening them, like not saving some frames in animations, not saving some parameters in environment AND, not saving some rendering settings (max sample, time, etc)
Apart from the well-known problem of not being able to open multiple instances of the program (although there's a solution for this).

In the last updates they had made great progress, especially in terms of creating animations, but the latest versions are very bad... better to wait for a good one that fixes these bugs (if you want to know more about the subject, in the Daz forums there were several users complaining that the latest updates had more problems than they solved, lol).

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
The only solution so far is the Render A Lot, while in preferences under render settings the Ignore when opening a scene file is selected... The pre-set render settings remain the same. Because Render a Lot do not close the DAZ after each finished render, so the settings would remain the same...

View attachment 687255

Anyway, I would like to hear some advice on, how to set the setting defaults, without DAZ resetting them after each startup.

Thanks!
But that shouldn't be like that, the rendering parameters are saved in the scene file, and should be loaded when you open it... if this isn't the case, as I mentioned above, I think you're using one of the latest versions that has that problem, that doesn't save certain parameters.

If it helps, I'm using v4.12.0.86

Reactions: asnaz
Aug 20, 2018
Aha! You got the information i was looking for! :D

So it means every saved scene has the render settings saved,
that would make sense, why it jumps back to default, if i had them on default when i was saving them! Let's change them scene after scene and let's see what happens.

I believe we found a solution, i will test it now! :LOL:

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Porcus Dev
Aug 20, 2018
No it's not working... every scene is 7200, whatever I do...

But that shouldn't be like that, the rendering parameters are saved in the scene file, and should be loaded when you open it... if this isn't the case, as I mentioned above, I think you're using one of the latest versions that has that problem, that doesn't save certain parameters.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
No it's not working... every scene is 7200, whatever I do...
I don't know which version you're using, but bear in mind what I've told you about the problems with the latest versions...

...other than that, make sure you have all the "ignore..." options unchecked and all the "record..." checked.
Open a scene, modify some rendering parameter and save the scene... when you open it again the parameter changed should be retained.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
OK, so it's solved.

The elder version has no issue with saving render settings in the scene.

Works with Man Fridays render queue.

All praise belongs to @mgomez0077

Thanks
Good! :D
You're welcome.

It's not always good to install the latest version too soon, lol... at least it's advisable to keep the old one and try the new one, but to have both versions in case you need to go back to the old one :p

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018

Thanks a lot! It's a bit outdated but solved my problem like a charm! Didn't know that each scene carries the render settings for the next render.