Daz [SOLVED] Rendering time

Aug 20, 2018
Hey!

Just out of curiosity, rendering a picture in the final step of the tutorial in DAZ, output 4k, it takes 30min... Is that normal? i believe not... i know its a 4k image, face close up, but still, half an hour? :unsure:

I checked forums, tried few things, before changing settings it was almost an hour....

GPU CPU enabled

system specs:

i7 6core 8th gen 2.6ghz
Nvidia P2000 4gb
32gb ram

thanks

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
30 minutes is not much depending on what you do... it's not the same to do a close up render where you can see the details of the character's skin, than to do it from a distance; it's not the same that there is a lot of light to that there is little light; it's not the same that there are reflective/translucent surfaces to that there aren't. ...so it depends on several factors, but 30 minutes is not much... I have 2x1080Ti and some scenes can take hours to render (several characters, several lights (candles for example), reflection in mirrors and translucent water).

Whether it's FullHD, 2K or 4K doesn't alter the time too much.

You should also keep in mind that your GPU has 4GB, and that it's likely that many scenes you want to render will exceed that size, and when this happens, DAZ renders using only the CPU, which is much slower.
To solve this you can use "Scene Optimizer" and reduce the quality of larger textures.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
but still, half an hour?
You'll have a rough time ahead if you think that's long for a render.
But yeah, as the much more knowledgeable guy above me said, use scene optimizer, be careful with multiple light sources and dimly lit scenes in general and keep in mind that only your GPU really matters for rendering.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Is there a way to prepare more scenes for rendering and put them in the queue? Finalizing them at the end?
There's a render queue plugin. Pretty sure that's available in the downloads here too, in case you just want to let your PC run with it while doing something else.

If you just want to experiment with poses or different body shapes or some such you can also just plop the model in front of an HDRI and render that out in a few minutes. Even my old laptop gets that done pretty fast.

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Interesting, playing games in 4k on high resolution, isn't causing any issues :unsure:
That's why I'm shocked from the rendering speed of one single picture...
Yes. it's a shocker. Having just entered the fray of raytracing myself, coming from 'live' game-ish engines... All I can say is that most of what you know and expect from gaming and simulations isn't applicable to raytracing. Like others have already mentioned, there's a ton of considerations like the number of light sources, reflective surfaces, transparancy, SSS, distance to camera... etc. that will effect the number of calculations the raytracer has to do. It's a ton of work that game engines and live 3D simulators shortcut their way out of in order to provide high framerates.

Bottom line: If you come from 'fast+instant' game engine based 3D, the world of raytaced 3D is going to provide you with tear-your-hair-out levels of impossibly slow.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Yes. it's a shocker. Having just entered the fray of raytracing myself, coming from 'live' game-ish engines... All I can say is that most of what you know and expect from gaming and simulations isn't applicable to raytracing. Like others have already mentioned, there's a ton of considerations like the number of light sources, reflective surfaces, transparancy, SSS, distance to camera... etc. that will effect the number of calculations the raytracer has to do. It's a ton of work that game engines and live 3D simulators shortcut their way out of in order to provide high framerates.

Bottom line: If you come from 'fast+instant' game engine based 3D, the world of raytaced 3D is going to provide you with tear-your-hair-out levels of impossibly slow.
Most people who play games now days have their own GPU capable of realtime game rendering, such as gaming PCs, android devices, and phones... so you have to wonder why more devs aren't taking advantage of the situation, by letting the player's GPU do all the rendering. Why on earth would you pre-render images for games, when the player still has to render them to screen. I'll bet some player's PCs could even render better than the dev's hardware.
DAZ studio iray doesn't even use raytracing, it uses the same cheat-tracing (path tracing) that nVidia cards use for games.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Most people who play games now days have their own GPU capable of realtime game rendering, such as gaming PCs, android devices, and phones... so you have to wonder why more devs aren't taking advantage of the situation, by letting the player's GPU do all the rendering. Why on earth would you pre-render images for games, when the player still has to render them to screen. I'll bet some player's PCs could even render better than the dev's hardware.
DAZ studio iray doesn't even use raytracing, it uses the same cheat-tracing (path tracing) that nVidia cards use for games.
Yeah why not rendering these 3 billions tri and 8k maps real time. Eck, why people didn't even think about it?

hUfdv.gif

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You know polywog half of your brain is very very smart and helpful. The other half is on acid :p
From someone who once who's written bottom level 3d code , 3d game engines for the most part use nothing like rendering. At best they raytrace a few photos to determine brightness. And that new rtx "realtime ray tracing" yall paid for isnt, doesnt .. you got scammed. If you go look at the ue5 demo you'll be impressed.. until you look at the only thing in the scene that should have a real materials (the human) and it looks frigging awful. That's because it's not raytraced... it's a basic model with a texture map slapped on it.

Reactions: recreation