Daz [SOLVED] The Hair Has Gone Wonky

Dabigoh

Mar 1, 2020
I've been poking at Daz for the last couple of weeks. Grabbing files from the Asset Releases forum to test different characters, poses, etc.

Anyway, I rendered an image and everything looked okay, but after making some changes and rendering it again I found that the hair had gone all wonky.

Specifically, her head is surrounded by strands of black hair. The lighting in the images should be the same. If I remember correctly, I made the first render, then came back a couple days later and started playing with dForce on the vest to make it fit better. I'm using these images because they are the only ones I have that show a good before/after. This is happening on a few other hairs as well.

I'm not above uninstalling everything and starting back from scratch to see where things went wrong, but I thought I'd ask you experts before I took such drastic measures.

Any ideas?

(the images are "snips" from Photoshop and zoomed in to about 200%)

HairGood.png HairBad.png

Last edited:

Dabigoh

Mar 1, 2020
After some time searching through the Daz forums, I figured out that the issue was the update to 4.15. (See I told you it was some update or package install that did it)

The Daz forums suggested that the issue was related to 4.15 having trouble rendering to a transparent background. There were two solutions in the post.

1. Go to the Surfaces tab and select all the hair components. Set the Opacity to 99% (instead of 100%) or .99.
2. Go to the Surfaces tab and select all the hair components. Set the SSS Amount to 0 (instead of 1.0)

I couldn't find an opacity setting for the Monica hair, so I set the SSS Amount to 0. The image is rendering right now and it looks like the issue is resolved.