• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py some Ren'py games do not start

FrogtheMaster

Aug 7, 2017
When I click on the exe file, the game will not open without giving an error
ı can play some other Ren'py games but when ı try to open Dreams of Desire it is'nt working

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Well the error it's giving you would be important to know... Since there could be milliones of reasons it's not working...

eike2000

May 9, 2017
with some reason
case 1 : you don't open as admin permission in your windows
case 2 : used unren with descript .rpyc in to .rpy or you still didn't delete uncry.rpyc form your game folder
case 3 : used unren 6.0 but the renpy game with higher version, then you still undelete uncry.rpyc too
case 4 : with this way you can open and play renpy game
Last post I got this problem, i got searched google over and over another 4rums but nothing but they call about antivirus program. I recomment, last day, i still played it smoothly but now. And one little point, i dont install any antivirus programs, include windows defender default on windows setting ( it was turn off ). So please NOONE tell me turn off antivirus ( sorry i feel so tire couse i has spent a night to find out solution ).

Now, This is the way : (you should view file with name file and extention and backup Red name file i write beneat)
1. Go to Folder game, Beside file [game_name].exe we got [game_name].sh or [game_name].py ( remember it and dont touch [game_name].rpy)
2. Double-CLick on [game_name].exe and watch path and name of file exe ( it still broken, it often same name with file .exe in folder \lib\windows-i686\ , but sometime it not same) ( remember it )
3. Go to folder \lib\windows-i686\ D-CLick on [game_name].exe and watch path and name of file .exe ( remember it )
4. Go to Folder game, Duplicate [game_name].sh or [game_name].py and we got [game_name_2].sh or[game_name_2].py, (you should view file with name file and extention) , Change name [game_name_2] into [game_name] in folder \lib\windows-i686\ ( View step 3 ) and change extention .py or .sh into .epy and DONOT delete file [game_name].exe,[game_name].sh or [game_name].py.
5. D-Click on [game_name].exe make sure it still broken , if it work, it will gone bad because next time you couldn't play it anymore and I ... dont find out how to solve this
6. Go to folder \lib\windows-i686\ D-CLick on [game_name].exe or create a shortcut of [game_name].exe paste anywhere you wanna play and enjoy. Now file [game_name].exe in folder game still cannot play anymore, but you play throught folder \lib\windows-i686\[game_name].exe, and dont worry, nothing missing

Reactions: FrogtheMaster

kiteares

Nov 15, 2017
case 3 : used unren 6.0 but the renpy game with higher version
My experience of this is that it throws up an error.

@Themy1t could you be a bit more specific please
What games?
When you run the exe how far is it getting, for example does it open a process you can check with task manager?
In the same folder as the exe has a log.txt file been created (it is done on the first opening of a game)?
Is there a traceback.txt file in the same place?
If you have either can you attach them or post the contents please (someone, not me, may be able to help more).
Are you using unren.bat? If so what version?
Failing all that, delete the extracted game and the relevant folder in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy
Then try extracting and running again.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Check your AV is not blocking the exe . I use bit defender and it is very hit and miss have had to whitelist many Renpy games due to the av detecting the .exe as a virus

FrogtheMaster

Aug 7, 2017
with some reason
case 1 : you don't open as admin permission in your windows
case 2 : used unren with descript .rpyc in to .rpy or you still didn't delete uncry.rpyc form your game folder
case 3 : used unren 6.0 but the renpy game with higher version, then you still undelete uncry.rpyc too
case 4 : with this way you can open and play renpy game
Last post I got this problem, i got searched google over and over another 4rums but nothing but they call about antivirus program. I recomment, last day, i still played it smoothly but now. And one little point, i dont install any antivirus programs, include windows defender default on windows setting ( it was turn off ). So please NOONE tell me turn off antivirus ( sorry i feel so tire couse i has spent a night to find out solution ).

Now, This is the way : (you should view file with name file and extention and backup Red name file i write beneat)
1. Go to Folder game, Beside file [game_name].exe we got [game_name].sh or [game_name].py ( remember it and dont touch [game_name].rpy)
2. Double-CLick on [game_name].exe and watch path and name of file exe ( it still broken, it often same name with file .exe in folder \lib\windows-i686\ , but sometime it not same) ( remember it )
3. Go to folder \lib\windows-i686\ D-CLick on [game_name].exe and watch path and name of file .exe ( remember it )
4. Go to Folder game, Duplicate [game_name].sh or [game_name].py and we got [game_name_2].sh or[game_name_2].py, (you should view file with name file and extention) , Change name [game_name_2] into [game_name] in folder \lib\windows-i686\ ( View step 3 ) and change extention .py or .sh into .epy and DONOT delete file [game_name].exe,[game_name].sh or [game_name].py.
5. D-Click on [game_name].exe make sure it still broken , if it work, it will gone bad because next time you couldn't play it anymore and I ... dont find out how to solve this
6. Go to folder \lib\windows-i686\ D-CLick on [game_name].exe or create a shortcut of [game_name].exe paste anywhere you wanna play and enjoy. Now file [game_name].exe in folder game still cannot play anymore, but you play throught folder \lib\windows-i686\[game_name].exe, and dont worry, nothing missing
I tried, but I think I screwed up. Thank you for your help and there is no [game_name].rpy) in Folder

FrogtheMaster

Aug 7, 2017
ı can play DMD or MilfyCity and tons of Renpy games but ı have this problem in only 2 games Dreams of Desire and Old Friends and Public transport

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
open Dreams of Desire folder has the .exe been removed if it has then your av has quarrentined it

FrogtheMaster

Aug 7, 2017
I found a solution but it was a little ridiculous. I copied everything in the setup file to a blank folder on the desktop and it started working.

Reactions: windman4

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I found a solution but it was a little ridiculous. I copied everything in the setup file to a blank folder on the desktop and it started working.
Maybe you had it in a folder with name was too long...or a problem with windows permissions.

xxsevooxx0099

Nov 30, 2021
My experience of this is that it throws up an error.

@Themy1t could you be a bit more specific please
What games?
When you run the exe how far is it getting, for example does it open a process you can check with task manager?
In the same folder as the exe has a log.txt file been created (it is done on the first opening of a game)?
Is there a traceback.txt file in the same place?
If you have either can you attach them or post the contents please (someone, not me, may be able to help more).
Are you using unren.bat? If so what version?
Failing all that, delete the extracted game and the relevant folder in
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy
Then try extracting and running again.

Some games doesnt open process in task manger
For example

Zilf next door
The icebreaker
We are lost

Also these games dont have game_name.exe file in lib/py3-windows/x86_x64

Any help plzzzzz

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Some games doesnt open process in task manger
For example

Zilf next door
The icebreaker
We are lost

Also these games dont have game_name.exe file in lib/py3-windows/x86_x64

Any help plzzzzz
I downloaded Zilf and ran it. Your Windows security settings may be keeping you from running these three. When I started Zilf (either normal or running as administrator), Windows popped up asking if I was sure I wanted to run this. When I said yes, I still had to then tell Windows Defender it was ok.

xxsevooxx0099

Nov 30, 2021
I downloaded Zilf and ran it. Your Windows security settings may be keeping you from running these three. When I started Zilf (either normal or running as administrator), Windows popped up asking if I was sure I wanted to run this. When I said yes, I still had to then tell Windows Defender it was ok.

I'm using windows 7 64bit
games based on py3 not launching

I really need help how to fix this problem