Unreal Engine Some thoughts on Unreal Engine after playing the game Vampyr

LOWERCASE GUY

Jul 19, 2023
So I have played so many adult and non adult indie games powered byUnreal Engine. They are usually badly optimized, buggy and feels off and got that unreal engine vibe you know?

I had been pretty much stuck up and pessimistic about Unreal. I enjoy things it does well, some games look like they've potential and all that. Latest Hellblade got UE 5. It looked okay but felt kinda spammy and what can I say empty. My pessimism lets just say increased and I tend to launch an unreal engine made game with least amount of expectation whenever I do...

...Until Vampyr happened. Developed by Don't nod and saber interactive this game is brilliant. Gameplay wise, graphics wise and you know what? Optimization.

The level of optimization in this game is a triple A title level. On my RTX 3060 its kick ass and on my laptop which got a GTX 1050 Ti, still shoots up FPS crazy, BUT the gpu is reaching 80 degrees sometimes on Ultra settings.

IDK how they managed but one thing for sure they really invested their time right way. This game is Unreal 4 btw.

Now Vampyr as a game had mixed reviews when it came, but I usually approach any game with null feelings so I be the judge. It could have had more sexy sex scenes like CDPR would do, I mean, there are some dialogues that are borderline pushing it so why not?

We just get a kiss but yeah.

It's not the engine, it's the dev. Tis written in books ya see. These are just tools. If you can't make something work as intended it's on you. I understand reason why Unreal games made by small devs usually lag behind like that but it's not really a bad engine.

Where are perverted devs with mega skills? Where they at?

Hire the nearest fanfiction writer or use chatgpt for ideas, a small town, some sexy biatch NPCs, giga chad MC, dark twisted lighting, good ai generated voices, sexy ass moans, few animations but proper with full control and feelz, there ya go, some sex game. Now optimize the heck out of it, ya don't need a too high poly brickwall but high poly tits, dawg. Shit ya don't need to render, decrease the FOV or go half life 2 source style. When we talking about sexy sex game, we don't need 8k sofa, we need 2k-4k skin, realistic nipples, pussy all that. When I know the reason why this biatch is lagging is cuz that high poly perma rendered skibidi toilet, is painful. ;D

Now I am yappin' so imma shut up lol

AlternateDreams

I'm tired, boss.
Game Developer
Apr 6, 2021
Vampyr was released in 2018, 6 years ago. It's not surprising that it runs better on a small config compared to a game like Hellblade 2 released in 2024. Besides, Vampyr runs on UE4 as you said, not UE5.

It seems a bit unrealistic to ask games released in 2024 to run well on a 7-8 year old entry-level gamer card (1050ti), even more so if it's a laptop. This card has only 4GB of VRAM and doesn't support ray tracing.

That said, I agree about the optimization. A lot of games aren't optimized because it takes time and indie developers already have a ton of things to do to finish their game.
And even the big studios sometimes don't optimize enough because they don't want to spend their budget on it, which gives UE games a bad reputation.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: LOWERCASE GUY

LOWERCASE GUY

Jul 19, 2023
Vampyr was released in 2018, 6 years ago. It's not surprising that it runs better on a small config compared to a game like Hellblade 2 released in 2024. Besides, Vampyr runs on UE4 as you said, not UE5.

It seems a bit unrealistic to ask games released in 2024 to run well on a 7-8 year old entry-level gamer card (1050ti), even more so if it's a laptop. This card has only 4GB of VRAM and doesn't support ray tracing.

That said, I agree about the optimization. A lot of games aren't optimized because it takes time and indie developers already have a ton of things to do to finish their game.
And even the big studios sometimes don't optimize enough because they don't want to spend their budget on it, which gives UE games a bad reputation.
Yup. Thanks for commenting man! Was kinda high when I wrote.

I am pretty much old school, we used to milk hardware till it's maxed and just won't cut it back then.

That card struggles to run Unreal 4 games even, if it's an unoptimized release. So it was a surprise how beautiful it looked and ran, but the temps were crazy!! Kinda like when I first played Witcher 3 on an GTX 750ti!!! xD Lets backwards further, Crysis games. Think can it run crysis thing died down with crysis 2 or 3 lol then they released a stupid remaster with parody graphics option to mess with your gpu.

Realistically speaking, pascal's just gone. For PL I bought an RTX.
It's beast for it's time, for small builds, power saving etc is still ok.

A GTX 1080ti can run Cyberpunk 2077 smoothly without RTX which is brilliant, but when Cyberpunk 2 comes nah. I have to see it to believe it... a truly overly detailed full city map rendered in unreal 5 with no loading screens. Shit. Being just a gamer, these things are almost witchcraft to me, how they even make things like this possible. They promised two or three games even.

Indie devs might not have access to all shorts of different rigs to test their game as well. In this case, the player feedback helps them.

Now for bigger team of developers in future, if they think everyone will just have superior cards, they might stop giving optimization priority altogether. An extreme scenario. Might push card sells but continue to disappoint many.

See no matter how powerful your card is, zero optimization can and will bring it down to it's knees. Not just that say some short of coding error that is messing with CPU to the point when you move your crosshair there's lag and stutter.

To decrease loading time it's loading full map in good detail, but slight difference in memory (example: 8gb card compared to 12 gb card) causing micro stutters etc(paranoid by madmind). Failure to render textures in medium, high settings, only ultra having best outcome(S.T.A.R.W.E.I.L.D).

I like these funks in a way, cuz it reminds me how it's possible for anyone with enough heart(and balls ;) to actually release a game in 2024. Maybe at some point, it'll be so easier we'd have more games in short time that are just kick ass.

Reactions: AlternateDreams