VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Bird's actions

The characters are very well written, and come off as actual people that you get to know through a formative period of their (and the MC) lives.
    The story is engaging and IMO, you really get to know the characters by the end, and become invested in their lives.
    The renders are not the best, faces tend to be a little stiff, but overall they are very well done.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

m0us3r

Con:
    The sex scenes are relatively short and simple, there could be more fantasy and visual stimuli (not mentioning that the dick skin looks very distorted).

Pro:
    But otherwise it's a lot of fun. The story is captivating. The characters are endearing, so I fell in love with every one of the girls. It's a shame there's no real harem though. The renders are good, and most models are very cute. Even those who are just normal, you get charmed with their characters and find them very attractive anyway.

I hope to play more games from these developers.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

il4400

I enjoyed the game because of the story and the different endings, the graphics are nice, the scenes are dynamic, no audio. The game has a few hot scenes but I liked the existing mods that help you in the game and with the gallery. I like the different endings, 6 or 7 I don't remember.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

_Alexandru_

While the banner of the game do not look great but the game is amazing for sure.

Girls
    As I said I believe that the banner of the game from the first page does not justice to the game. The differece in hight between girls, the washed background made me skip this game for a while...such a lose for me.
    The girls are lovely and chosing one was not quite easy. They are not dry, dumb, cock lovers creature which make them likeble. Chris is created as a asiatic-european type without bringing any of the asian stereotypes. Kimbelry and Lyndie have mesmerizing eyes and Aoife has a goddess body.
    I found refreshing a difference is haircuts and a evolution of the haircut as the game unfolds.

Story
    The creator really put an effort in the story and try to gave each and every girl the chance to shine in its own way. The way it approach a meltdown
    of the MC is not something really new, but the approach is convincing. Presenting a girl with mental trauma is quite new and I apreciate it.

Renders/animation
    City and background renders is something that on some scenes could be worked out better. Animation was not a point where the creator invested a lot and can understand that. In the future a more diversified sex scenes and animation will for sure be apreciated
  5. 5.00 star(s)

pougie

Absolutely amazing in every way - the writing is excellent, the characters completely realistic and the artwork is incredible – and I would challenge anyone playing this not to be at least a bit impressed at how hot the female characters are – Dru in particular is the kind of girl you'd die for :).
  6. 5.00 star(s)

DuckDairyDip

This was a ride. This entire story was very gripping as it dealt with very serious subject matter with dignity and showed great progression for all the characters. With that being said, there are depictions of trauma, suicidal tendencies, and mental illness so if that isn't your thing, you have been warned. All the love interests present are great. Chris, our tomboyish childhood friend who shows just how much she really knows the MC. Very well executed, and their banter is great. Kimberly, our new assistant with a troubled past, yet trying to move forward. She is great as she really helps motivate the MC along the way. Then we have the trio of Aoife, Lyndie and B. Their history together is complex and complicated in ways, but it shows how much they care about each other even when it comes to loving the MC. There is also Dru who is the last introduced love interest and is deeply tied to the MC's past. She is my personal favorite as due to her connection with the MC, it brings into questions of who we really are as people in the grand scheme of things and how to not let obstacles mean we can never achieve something great or find friends along the way to support us. Her character really embodies everything this story seemed to set out to do and the thematic ties to everything well. My only gripe is due to Dru's late introduction, it feels like there is not enough time to get to know her more or interact with her compared to the other girls and would've liked at least one more update before the final update to do this. But, all the different endings are satisfying and I very much look forward to the future planned releases that seem to be set in this same universe.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

tmathis

Very solid content and some spectacular models. If we got a bit more modern sex scene situation I would have given this 5 stars. Even so, it was a close run thing. Definitely recommend a run through, very much appreciated the walkthrough mod.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

murishani

What a great novel! the character development was superb! The models are gorgeous. To me, the greatest part of the story was around the discovery and growth. Stories of redemption always get me. LOVED this.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Warscared

loved the game and the range of people and types of personality!

this game handles sensitive and difficult subjects such as depression disability or the worst of it all writers block and nihilism but the story is excellent if you can handle such medium to hard topics!

loved the story and thats all it takes for me, the renders and animations are always secondary for me, just like tits on a woman, nice to have but does not remove from the overall experience!
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Faps

This a beautiful story that handles problems of mental health with class and nuance. It actually made me consider not sleeping with every female character available. Just for that alone, this deserves 5 stars.

The only real gripe I had was that the sex scenes were too short, but when everything else was fantastic, it ends up feeling like a minor nitpick. If the dev reads this, I hope they keep making heartwarming and well-written stories like this in the future.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

IamPeterGriffen

Great VN because writer makes you give a damn about the characters. Animation is good but not great. Characters are diverse and different, and each have their own challenges. No real antagonist to fight against so not a high drama story, just a light happy ending type story. If your looking for the darkest themes on F95, keep looking.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

youngethan

10/10 good shit. Also learned a surprising amount of Irish words, so that's cool too. Huge props to the author for being the one to finally have a black MC in a VN (and no gross racist fetishizing, either), it felt so much more natural to play through that way. I enjoy the characters and the dynamics between them. They're all imperfect, and that makes them feel more real. I liked what I read, and hope the author continues to write more content.
  13. 4.00 star(s)

cl0ckw3rk

(Complete - Ch. 7.1) - No spoilers

First off, congratulations are in order for STWAdev for actually completing this story. I was hesitating between rating this 3 or 4 stars, but that alone tipped the scales in his favour.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read and a decent balance of sex and storytelling. For once in my life, I wasn't fucking every single girl possible, and instead tried to make "realistic" choices reflecting how I would behave in real life. I was fairly pleased with the route I ended up on, but when I thought that I'd have certain options presented to me down the line, I was surprised to see them missing from my list of choices. I won't get into specifics to keep this spoiler-free, but I have to wonder if the dev just didn't want to spend time weaving different routes in, out, and between each other at different points in the story. It's understandable since I'm sure it would be complicated and far too time-consuming. My point is, there is rail-roading to some degree, but I think most chapters allow you to experiment with different routes upon their beginnings. I only played through the story once with consistent choices, so I can't confirm this.

The visuals were pretty good overall. A lot of character close-ups were unflattering and strange to look at, with the camera being shoved right up against their face, but they didn't detract from the story. Major Ecchi Sensei vibes with pointless close-ups of the MC's chin, but whatever.

The sex scenes were decent. For as much as the characters talk about sex, it would have been nice for them to indulge in it a bit more. The scenes were fairly short and not always engaging, but I did have one particular favourite. Maybe this is where different choices would have yielded better results.

Once again, congrats to STWAdev, and thanks for delivering a solid product. While there were parts of the story where the characters behaved in unbelievable or overly immature ways, I thought that the ultra rich setting was presenting in a refreshing way, and I enjoyed it immensely. 3 stars for the experience, 5 stars for your effort. Thank you!
  14. 5.00 star(s)

SerHawkes

Something to Write About: The Author is certainly a once in a while game that has both a great story that is funny and emotional, as well as a great set of characters that are both unique in the model (how truly original) as well as character as well.

While my only true grief about this game is the somewhat lacking of sexual content to a degree (Threesoming with Aofie and Lyndie and we don't see it?! This is a crime!), overall I can overlook this slight issue with how well done the story was done.

All in all, for a "Prequel" to the next two games expected, 5/5 for me.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

ben_sylar

This a perfect example for a slice-of-life story. Characters are likeable and story progresses nicely towards a heartwarming ending. If you're into that kinda thing this is the game for you.

Not much to say for the technical side of things. The VN looks great, although probably not in the absolute top tier of games.

Easily one of the few games I would actually rate 5/5 and that means something since I tend to be overly critical.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

jdwag68

Others have said similar, but the characters are easily what make this VN shine. I found myself getting invested in nearly every LI, and almost all of the endings were great culminations to the story. The author's writing, particularly their use of language, was pretty consistently good throughout the story. The MC's model was also refreshingly distinct from most of the other VNs around.

There were a few loose ends left unresolved in this installment, and I feel the game could have been served by branching the story a bit earlier/ more completely, but overall 5/5 great game.
  17. 4.00 star(s)

felicemastronzo

really a great game, well made and well thought out. but i don't feel like giving it full marks because i found it weak from a graphical point of view, both for the level of the animations (really limited) and for the general quality of the renders, where often the expressions of the characters were repeated and rather exaggerated.

but on the other hand, in terms of involvement and story it deserves top marks, each of the characters described is interesting and engaging, every time you spend time on one of the Lis you discover something about them

maybe not all the endings are equally successful (especially Kimberly's, who is the best character, and Lyndie's, who aesthetically was my favourite)

definitely recommended
  18. 5.00 star(s)

jesusraul007

The story was not too long. But the plot and the character development was very good. Each character was unique and well fleshed out. I throughly enjoyed this game. The renders were not bad either. The choices in the game were significant and did have impact on the outcome of the game. I also appreciate the many possible endings that we were allowed to choose from. I look forward to playing the author's next game.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

scooterb852

This one came highly recommended from many folks and I concur with their assessment. The completion of The Author is satisfying on many fronts. From a story perspective certainly folks will have their favorites given the amount of different endings...myself included (Aofie and Lyndie #1)...but enjoyed playing them all since the writing for each created different feelings and connection; no rinse and repeat here.

It was also nice to see the evolving of the visuals, animations and "atmosphere" as the chapters progressed. STWADev continues to advance and the next project I'm sure will continue that advancement.

As a story first guy, I like to see the scenes enhance the story and not just thrown out there just because and that definitely was the case here. STWADev placement of the scenes and the scenes themselves were excellent IMO and helped increase the story's impact.

Hopefully you will enjoy The Author as much as I did.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Alfius

Nice one!

I have to admit, I initially did not get into the story that much. I did not really connect with the MC. Even halfway through, I kinda thought," The writing is good, but it does not do it for me." I think I will give it 4 stars at the most.

Even the erotic content was not doing it for me, It's definitely there, but from the start, you could feel that it's not a core focus of the game. For instance, the girls would talk a bout a second round of sex, and then the screen would just go to black.

But towards the end, The writing in my view was just so good. The ending and the closure of all the characters were awesomely done. Although the game had a harem feel to it, it never felt like a fuck festival. The girls although they liked each other as friends were never "happy" to share you. They kind of just avoided that topic.

That all contributed to a very realistic setting and dynamic between the characters. And like life, good times never last forever, and your group had to break up at some stage. I literally loved the last part of the game and the last part actually lifted the first part of the game as well.

The MC is still not my favourite MC of games I have played.

I would not rate this a normal Adult Game, but it's a damn good Visual novel with some adult parts in it.

So
    Character model : 8/10
    Story: 10/10
    Sex scenes: 9/10
    Renders: 8/10

Definitely reccomended