Sorry for posting this, but I just kinda need to vent my frustration of the adult gaming industry as a whole...

Escalon

Nov 11, 2017
First, I should apologize for 3 things.

1, My first post being a semi-rant
2, My grammar as English is my 4th Language I learned.
3, The vent is kinda long.

Next, I do NOT want to offend any game dev. who might to read this, I fully respect your work since I know how much work goes into making a game.!

As about the frustration I really need to went. The gist of it is, we have literally thousands of adult games, and yet, mostly they fall into 3 categories.

First being a "fancier animations player"
Second being a "run of the mill A/RPG"
And third being "VN"

I know there are games that "break out" of this and I'm very happy about those.
But...
Most of the games I played are really either a slideshow of adult pictures or just an fancier animation player. And most of them feel the same, use the same tropes, there are recently 2 or 3 games that look that they will brake out of this, but everything else ?

I do fully understand that developing a game is not a joke (I'm good friends with a couple of non-Adult and Adult game developers and seen plenty of times how hard is it to create a game. And I'm not kidding myself that I have the talent nor the skills to develop a game of my own, also I fully do understand that breaking out of the line most of the time means that the profit is at risk, and most of developers, especially adult ones, want some money from the work they are doing. Rightfully so.

But still, I'm just amazed how little of unique ideas or gameplay elements (if you can call them as such) make it into a game, sure, we have games with Pregnancy, Corruption, Survival needs, etc. (I need to state, I'm not against those, more like the more the better!) To give an example, lets take corruption, sure, the name means that you will get corrupted into something that you were not in the beginning. But could it not be done in a better way instead of the typical the more sex you have, the more you will be a maniac?

Example :

Post Apocalyptical word : Hero gets defeated and r*ped by something really disgusting, Hero is now traumatized and needs a suppressant to function normally, over time, trauma will disappear, but the more the hero takes given suppressant, the more his mentality is gonna change towards being corrupted. And the more you will fight while in the traumatized state, the more suppressant you will need, thus not really forcing you, to actually win the battles, but giving you a option to not become corrupted.
(I just pulled this example out of my ass, not really thinking about it, of course one could come out with different ideas how to make it better)

So my overall grape is, that even though there are plenty of ways to make the games more interesting, a LOT of people opt not to, due them risking their time not being properly rewarded.

And that is why I am soo frustrated about this, I cannot blame anyone for not doing anything "special" with the games. Especially, since its THEIR games, not mine and I have no right to tell people what to do and what not do. And yet, I know adult games could be soo much more.

Sure there is always a option to mod THOSE 2-4 Games (we all know about what I'm talking about) but that is still just modifying a normal game, thus the proper working and integration of those mods is quite affected and noticeable.

Again I apologize for this vent, but I just wanted to get this out of my system, for whom ever reads this, I really hope you have a great day/night and have fun!.

DizzyGame

Jul 7, 2020
Developing these games/novels is usually a side hassle for most. Usually its one or two people working on it. Figuring out how to animate/create, code, and write can be a bit of a pain and is very time consuming. Trying to break out of a mold that is well established will only add to the challenge. Keep in mind that most of the people who are putting out these games are first timers. There are very few adult game/novel developers who are working on their second or third game. Being that they are first timers they are still figuring things out and learning. I think in a few years there will be a few who will break out, create bigger teams and will start producing what you are looking for.

Reactions: JuiceShooters

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I agree with you. Most games are the same thing, not original and not innovative. There is little uniqueness to them. I'd personally not chawk that down to the Dev's bad story telling and not wanting to be different. I think the main reason things are the same is because Dev's know they make money. Let me give you an analogy: take the condiments "industry" the main one you got is ketchup.
Now, ketchup's main producer is the company Heinz, however, there are loads of other spin off ketchups, bats, tescos etc. The one thing they all have in common is they don't innovate, they may have 25.3892% less fat, but they're all the same. Why try to reinvent ketchup if you already have a product that's shown to turn a profit. Sometimes you will see a company that innovates, they make the sauce more natural, Italian grown tomatoes, 89.9% tomatoes, tastes lovely, but some don't like it. Dev's will choose the format that is most likely to pay them well because they need it. Some games that go outside the norm absolutely fail, which is why I think devs are less happy to venture outside the norm. This mainly applies to starting out dev's who have never done this type of creation before.
It's easier to make something similar than it is to be original.

Etheric

May 30, 2017
But VN is basically that, a story that you have control... they are not "Games"
RPGM I can understand the rant since the engine is supposed to a game but people use it as a VN.
Is not possible to create innovative gameplay using Patreon because people will keep demanding sex scenes each update making you spending less time working in something new...

LadyLilith-3D

Dec 16, 2020
First off, I agree with your post but I just want to point out, this isn't a (adult game) issue. It's an over arching game dev issue in general. Just look at steam, I feel like 80% of the games are quick copy pastes of each other.

Now add in that most of these adult games are done by one or two people, using the same engine(s) and artwork (daz or honey select), your bound to get very simular games. Some will break the mold but for the most part, that's your reason.