Sound designers?

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
So I'm working on a game currently. Right now I'm concerned about is music and sound design, I don't think I want to spend the extra time to learn more about it if possible but I'd like the option to create music and effects if I can't find a suitable free replacement. Should I learn this or look for someone too collaborate with when I need it? If I do work with someone what would be a good agreement for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: jezzoo

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I wouldn't hire somebody for just the music. While music is important for real games, its not really a big deal for adult games.

Besides if you would look on IndieDev sites or IndieDevs reddits you can often find a fair amount of free music and sound effects.

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
Lol at around two minutes "...knowing basic music theory or at least an instrument is going to be extremely helpful. If you do not know anything about music, this will be kind of difficult and uh, but you might not get the result you're hoping for."

Thanks tho, it does answer part of my question. I had been playing around in a sequencer online but couldn't get the sound I imagined with it, I think I'll end up learning on my own.

• Sad
Reactions: Cul

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Perhaps i'm one of the minority here but in most cases i total mute the game's soundtrack, sure in some cases like DoD back in the day and more recently CoBD i leave the sound on but even on games with voice work in like Pine Falls i just mute them.

For me in games sound is either for ambience or for feedback, if i'm playing dirt rally i want/need to hear the engine, in Xcom or w/e i like it for audio conformation of a hit but it's not necessary, if i'm playing an RPG then it's ambience. What i'm trying to get at is that sound isn't a big deal if you don't make it a big deal, using simple commons free music so that you have some sound is okay, it's not going to make or break your project.

Don't overthink it, soundtracks come into their own when everything else is on pause, think of legend of zelda, great themes/music right? well they come into their own while your walking across large swathes of map not doing much else, similarly a great theme over the credits while your not doing anything, then you can enjoy the music, a game with a lot of reading or button mashing means the player is busy, soundtracks in VN's or "busy" games like shooters are much less important. what i'm trying to say is, is your game the sort of game with lots of mindless tasks?, is it a hiking simulator?, don't need to concentrate on other stuff much? well if so then the soundtrack will make more of a difference, otherwise it's incidental and you don't need to worry about it too much, grab some commons free music that fits your genre/feel for the game and run with it.

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
I understand, my personal opinion is narrative, tone, and visuals make for a good game. Audio can immediately set the tone, making it easy to recognize for someone who is skipping dialogue, and for people paying attention to the story, music can be weaponized to evoke emotions in the narrative.

It's cheesy sounding but audio transcends thought, so it's always in a sense just background music. But because it's intuitive, combining it with a strong story that the audience will think about (even if its skimmed over) creates an experience instead of just a story.

jezzoo

May 12, 2020
I'm kind of with Synx and Volta on this one. Yes, sound and voice are useful for feedback and immersion. Yes, well voiced moans in an adult game are brilliant. Still, they are only secondary to other aspects like gameplay, graphics, writing and technical quality.

Music, I'd argue, is on an entirely different level. Yes, it can add to mood and atmosphere, but unless we're talking epic orchestral Skyrim or Final Fantasy renditions (i.e. projects with orders of magnitude larger budgets than a one man indie game), I'm likely to disable the crappy generic accompaniment and tune in my own choices in the background.

It's fine if you want to try, maybe it's fun for you, but it is my opinion that you should rather invest your effort in other aspects of the game.

TheShadowJacker

May 31, 2020
for sounds, then you can tweak them in audacity.
Regarding music, there are tons of artists out there wanting you to use their music for free as long as you credit them.
I wouldn't spend time on learning music production. It takes time to do it right.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: OsamiWorks

Steinar95

Apr 21, 2018
For me, music can be a great way to set the atmosphere of the game, although, something I do dislike, is hearing the same generic non-copyrighted songs again and again in every game. You should totally get your own sounds going, so it can resonate with the player, something unique.
Now, I do not know which kind of game you're creating, or which mood you're going for, but I do know someone that could help you in the music department, I could hook you up, if you're interested.

Anyways, what the others are saying, focus on the game more than the sound-design, as it is not what 99% of people are looking for, but it is something to add in later, when you have done the ground work.

Reactions: Cul and OsamiWorks
Jun 15, 2021
I am a professional experienced sound designer and performing artist. I have two decades of experience as a producer. You can see my work in the remake of SHUT UP AND DANCE, and UNLEASHED.

Take care.
E

"UNLEASHED" The soundtrack:

Last edited: