Ren'Py Spaces in directory

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I have completed the alpha build of my game and am trying to build the distributions, but Ren'py is kicking me an error, stating that the "build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon, or semicolon characters." When I look this error up online, it says there is supposed to be a line at the end of my options.rpy file where the build.directory_name is supposed to be, but it's not there. I am stuck and can't build my distros. Anyone have any experience with this or know what I should do from here? Any help would be appreciated.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I have completed the alpha build of my game and am trying to build the distributions, but Ren'py is kicking me an error, stating that the "build.directory_name variable may not include the space, colon, or semicolon characters." When I look this error up online, it says there is supposed to be a line at the end of my options.rpy file where the build.directory_name is supposed to be, but it's not there. I am stuck and can't build my distros. Anyone have any experience with this or know what I should do from here? Any help would be appreciated.
Ok, working from gut instinct, I found the code that was used to fix this problem in other player's games. The code that is supposed to be at the end of the options.rpy file (but is not) is this:

Code:
    ## The name that's used for directories and archive files. For example, if
    ## this is 'mygame-1.0', the windows distribution will be in the
    ## directory 'mygame-1.0-win', in the 'mygame-1.0-win.zip' file.
    build.directory_name = "tutorial-1.0"
Ok, really just the last line, but without that line in my file, it wouldn't build. The crazy thing is that I already built the game in an earlier project just fine with the same Ren'py installation, so I can't figure out why it suddenly "broke." I have completed the Mac and PC builds, and am working through a funky error in Android to be able to complete that build.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
What error do you get when building the Android distribution?

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
It's a permissions error. I just need to drill into the directory spawning that error and make sure that my user has sufficient permissions. Even though I used that user to install the SDKs, evidently Windows borked it anyway.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Yes, I know this error, isn't related to your user permissions, try this...

- Download
- After installation, open it and keep it open (welcome screen, not nedded to make nothing else)
- Open Renpy with administration privilegues (right click, open as administrator)
- Make your android distribution

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Thank you very much for your response. I just "fixed" the errors and got the same result, so I am leaning in your direction. I will try your suggestion then get back to you. Thank you for staying on this, it is much appreciated.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
You're welcome.

I went crazy for hours with "Error 5: Access denied" until I tried this and it has always worked for me.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah, you got the exact error. I am glad I posted this here, actually. I have the Android Studio downloading at the moment, and am hoping that by the time I am ready to post that I can push builds for all three platforms up (PC, Mac, and Android) at the same time. If the Android side isn't done, I can do that as an update, but it would be nice to have all three posted coming out of the gate.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
When Ren'py built the Android build, it produced 2 files, one a "v7a" release, and the other a "x86_64" release. Which do I need to upload to F95zone ... one or both together?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
When Ren'py built the Android build, it produced 2 files, one a "v7a" release, and the other a "x86_64" release. Which do I need to upload to F95zone ... one or both together?
What?

I have only produced two files when, when configuring the distribution, I have selected an option that speaks of 2GB (the one below), when you have to select the option of 100MB (the one above) ... will this be? what extensions have these two files? one must be .apk and the other do not remember which was.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Both of them have .apk extension. Other games (like Parental Love) upload the v7a version. I think I will upload links to both and let the mods sort it out. The two are within a few megs of each other, one is 138.9 mb and the x86 one is 139.9 mb.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I didn't look at Ren'py after the build was completed. It says that the v7a version works on most phones and tablets, while the x86_64 version works in the simulator and on Chromebooks.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Now I just have to go back and rebuild the videos because mine are WEBM and Android wants MP4.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I don't know v7a version, perhaps is a feature of a new version of Renpy :unsure:
My renpy only generate one apk file, but works well.

Yes, videos is a problem :p... you will also have to check the menus and buttons, in android there are variations.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Well it's throwing off an error, so I am working on troubleshooting it right now. I had an early call using the Movie class and it doesn't like it. AFAIK, I can get rid of the call anyway, as later code made it redundant. Oh the joy of being a software developer on multiple platforms.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
LOL. I got my first like for the game and it's in game requests. I guess that's because there are upload links so anyone trolling there will find them and can download the game.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Well it's throwing off an error, so I am working on troubleshooting it right now. I had an early call using the Movie class and it doesn't like it. AFAIK, I can get rid of the call anyway, as later code made it redundant. Oh the joy of being a software developer on multiple platforms.
Hummm... I remember having problems with movies too, please, put here what error says, maybe I remember how I solved it, I think I had to change something in the code.

Yes, adapting the game to android is... a lot of fun.
sarcasm.jpg

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
This is just stinking killing me. I swapped in the MP4 videos, changed my script, and now both my main game and Android build aren't seeing the videos at all, and so they won't play. This has happened to me multiple times during this build. Just for fun, the code is here:

Code:
define wildride_slow =  "CDWR_15fps.mp4"
define wildride_fast = "CDWR_30fps.mp4"

scene bg_cum1
with fade

label slower:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene(wildride_slow, delay=None, loops=-1)

menu:

"Continue":
        jump slower

"Go faster":
        jump faster

"Cum":
        jump cumming
The first time I tested and built this using webm for the video, it worked just fine both in testing and after the PC build was built. However, once I put the mp4 version in, it won't work on either PC or Android. Outside of the game, the MP4 videos are perfectly viewable. Android does not throw off an error -- it just doesn't play the video where it should. I had exactly the same thing happen on the PC side, and the only thing that fixed it was to create a completely new project and port everything over. After 4 times doing this, this is getting a bit old.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I've used to convert my webm videos to mp4, if you want to try it, it's free.