Sponsorship/Donations for Game Builders.

Cornfield

Donor
Oct 30, 2017
I have sponsored many Hentai and Anime translations over the years and they have all been one-off donations.
Why is it that all of the Game builders want a monthly subscription, some as low as $1, and do not offer the facility to make a one-off donation.
I am reluctant to set up some sort of monthly direct debit, or anything similar.
It seems they are missing a fund raising opportunity.

wep

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 16, 2016
I have sponsored many Hentai and Anime translations over the years and they have all been one-off donations.
Why is it that all of the Game builders want a monthly subscription, some as low as $1, and do not offer the facility to make a one-off donation.
I am reluctant to set up some sort of monthly direct debit, or anything similar.
It seems they are missing a fund raising opportunity.
Most of the game are on patreon. Patreon has been created to support the authors for a long time. However you can easily support a game for one month and delete the pledge before the start of the second month.

Reactions: maisbordeldemerde

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
I think what the OP is driving at is making a one off donation of say $50 for example and getting updates for say 5 -6 months,which in truth would work for me as well as some months i'm short of cash enough for the basics , Others i have a good flow.so a system where i could pledge a reasonable amount as a one off and get updates for a period of time would work better than committing to a monthly debit.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
so a system where i could pledge a reasonable amount as a one off and get updates for a period of time would work better than committing to a monthly debit.
Absolutely not.
I think that there's a misunderstanding here. Doing a translation and making a game are too different works implying really different process and you don't pledge one for the same reason you pledge the other.

Doing a translation is difficult, but mostly you just need to do that. Plus, if for a reason or another you miss the dead line, almost no one will care. So, not only translator just need some free time, but also you give them some money as a thanks for what they do/have done.
But creating a game mean spending hours thinking about the story and write, then rewrite and rewriting again, every single line of dialog. It also mean that you need to do all the visual, and redo them because there's something which don't feel right. To this you need to add all the coding, all the testing and debugging, and some assistance to the guys who give you some money. And obviously, if you miss the dead line for an update, people will start to complain, same if the update isn't consequent enough.
Because of this, most game creators working alone do this as a full time job ; because it is a full time job ! And those who don't works alone need to pay the guys/girls who works for them. Hey, nobody wake up a morning saying, "I can earn a lot with my drawing, but I'll do it for free because fuck money !".

Of course, whatever they works alone or not, they don't create AAA games, it's just some indie games with or without some qualities. But don't forget that an AAA games not only need years of works, but also need around a thousand people, when not more. So, here we talk about people who do what ? A game with 50 time less quality, and do it with 500 time less people...
When you give them money, it's not to thanks them, but to pay them, because they've earned it.

And it's because of this that there's an big difference between one-off pledges and monthly pledges. With the monthly pledges, you know by advance how much you'll earn each month, so you can plan your update, command X pictures and know that you'll be able to pay them, and so on.
At the opposite, with one-off pledges, you know nothing and so can plan nothing. Plus you always have a terrible fate above your head. If one month you don't earn a single dollar, you'll have to do a "real" job to pay your bills (if your works alone) or you'll not be able to pay the people working for you. This mean no update for this month, and like there's no update, why someone should give you some money ? It's just the end of the game, because everyone had a low month at the same time.

DaScoot

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
Pretty much as said above, but also, I'm one of those people who works without really doing it for the money (I've spent several hundred more than my project brings in). My goal for the funding is just to try and get the game to pay for itself, and the Patreon also helps by giving me a way to get feedback from supporters, find out what they want, etc. If everyone just plopped down $20 at the start and didn't come back for a year, I'd have two big problems:

1. I'd have no idea what my actual game budget is as an on-going thing, so trying to adjust my monthly spending to vaguely match my income would be impossible. I'd either have to work only until I maxed out that initial amount then stop, or keep working and hope that six months later a new wave might come in.
2. I'd have no visible difference between people silently getting their updates, and me actually working on releases for nobody because it turned out everyone got bored and left 6 months ago. When people have to resub monthly, I know that they're still interested in the project and I'm actually doing all this for somebody.

Reactions: Cirro84

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
I think a good chunk of it is logistics. You can get away with certain content on Patreon that the common credit card processors like PayPal, Stripe or Square would balk at. Likewise there's an existing market on Patreon for this content.

Setting up a digital store with an adult card processor brings up an entire other can of worms. Already there's a couple games with crazies following the devs around, hacking their attempts at stepping out beyond Patreon.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Subscribestar will let you do one-offs. Patreon for some reason won't.