Ren'Py Starting a New Project. Torn between three options. Need help deciding

Which Game would you be most interested in seeing?

• Total voters

Echox2

Oct 6, 2017
Hello Everyone.

I want to start making a small Ren'py game with some edited AI art based in a fantasy world. I am equally interested in three different projects, but would like to know if there are any preferences on which I should put more effort into. After a long time away, I decided to start small with a manageable project that can be released relatively quickly.

That said, I make no guarantees of it ever being finished, or even released, but if I want to start for real, I need to make SOMETHING at least. And I am curious as to whether there is an audience for these things.

I have three choices I would like to get into.
  • One Piece Trainer: This is a trainer game set in the One Piece Universe with gameplay in the same line as AKABUR's Witch Trainer and Princess Trainer. Basically you are a pirate captain to gets the "Ero Ero No Mi" which gives you a UI similiar to a dating game. You can see different stats and information for people around you. And you use this to amass followers and companions to corrupt and affect.
  • Hyrule Harem: Trainer / Dating Sim Isekai set in Legend of Zelda Universe. You are a Zelda otaku who is trying to hack an 'Anniversary Edition Game" that allows you to play all the Zelda games in a row with the same characters and items. Something happens and you are in Hyrule, looking just like Link. You are supposed to gather the sages together without changing the world, but you have other plans. Closer to Mity's "Four Elements Trainer" in that you go through different chapters and interact with the characters in that Universe, then hop to a new universe/game and fuck around there
  • Rune Factory Dating SIm: You play as amnesiac on a giant flying turtle and have to solve the mystery of why you are here. Any of the heroines from previous Rune Factory games could be here, as well as some guests from Harvest Moon. You can date/"befriend" anyone and everyone and amass people to help you in your quest to enjoy life with beautiful girls!
The choices are all "pie in the sky" ideas, so what I'd be working on will be much more grounded.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I will probably do a version of all three of these eventually. At least that is what I WANT to do.

Echox2

Oct 6, 2017
I personaly dont like parody games but i do like corruption.
So my vote is one piece trainer purely because more corruption games is good.
I feel like all of these ideas will be corrupting the girls in some sense... But I feel you. Parody games have a hard time of getting interesting characters because of the need to cater to the pre-established characters. So stories can be stunted in a sense. Thanks for the input!

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
If it is indeed going to be small and it is your first project, choose the most simple one (for you) to create. Your best chance to succeed in the future is by completing projects, earning trust and respect from potential patrons, learning your lessons and improving.

Echox2

Oct 6, 2017
If it is indeed going to be small and it is your first project, choose the most simple one (for you) to create. Your best chance to succeed in the future is by completing projects, earning trust and respect from potential patrons, learning your lessons and improving.
Thank you for your input. They are all similar in main idea and game play aspects. basically just story and characters and stuff are different. They are all equally simple at this stage. Basically just to know what franchise to start with.

Thanks again for the advice.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
HI.
my favorite category is Harem.
I really like the concept behind it and I think it's really great to be able to sleep with more than one partner.
of course a lot will also depend on the story you'll be able to write, because games without a bit of story, they have no sense of existing as far as I'm concerned.
The choice of models is essential
not excessively beautiful to seem fake, but not ugly of course, let's say I'm a bit complicated if you think you can please a person like me
nice game though, I would definitely help with donations.
I haven't found any here yet, I hope for you and I wish you lots of luck with your project. (y)

Reactions: Echox2

Echox2

Oct 6, 2017
Hello Everyone.
Thank you to everyone who voted. It seems like "Rune Factory Harem" is the winner! We will start working on this project right away.

A few things we will be looking to get a handle on before the first release, in order of difficulty.
1: Custom UI.
- As we will be working in Ren'Py, the UI is very important to getting the feel of the experience.​
- A Lot of Ren'Py games do not change the UI (main menu, choices, buttons, textboxes, etc) and it can sometimes take a person out of the game / experience​
2: Music
- Not much of a musician, so we will not likely be doing the music in house. That means at this stage looking for some royalty-free music that isn't very ubiquitous.​
3: Art
- Getting art was the nail in the coffin for the last projects. So this time we are prepared and looking towards AI with editing and/or hiring out a character designer / background designer.​
- We want to have at least 2-3 characters with a solid art foundation and several poses / expressions with outfits before ANY kind of release​
4: Gameplay Elements
- We want to be able to show off at least the basics of important gameplay elements.​
- As a Rune Factory inspired game, we want to have several things that are present so people can understand the feel of the game.​
- Planting, Watering, Tending, Harvesting crops​
- Buying and selling things (economy)​
- Moving townsfolk with set schedules (and area-specific interactions)​
- Exploring dungeons​
-There are several things you will NOT be seeing in gameplay in the beginning​
- Combat​
- Taming monsters to fight with or help on the farm​
- Finalized pathing or full schedules for every hour of every day of the week​
- Festivals and events​
- Seasonal crops and fair economy.​
We thank you once again for your attention and for voting in the first place. We hope you can continue to support us as we proceed with the opening steps of this adventure!

If there is call for it, we will open up another post with a full announcement and for people to join and interact with us during the dev process.

We hope you look forward to more news!