Starting From Scratch Using Koikatsu and/or Renpy

TNbold93

Jul 30, 2019
Hey long time lurker and finally thinking of taking a dive into making my own game. I've played HS tutor and other games that use Koikatsu for it's chracters, and a ton of Renpy games. Starting from scratch how do these two work together? Are scenes and images rendered in Koikatsu and then added as assets into a Renpy project? I have a few months of development work with Javascript and so the code isn't as intimitading and getting this all to talk to each other. Are there any resources or guides that are here or off site that can walk me through this process? Any and all help would be appreciated

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Hi, I don't know much about Koikatsu, but renpy can display image/animation files in the common/open-source formats. It cannot use other specific programs' files, since usualy those files are proprietary (not always), and even then, the support is most likely not implemented in renpy.
I suspect the renpy doc has a list of the image/animation formats it supports (I personaly use png saved from Daz Studio renders).

So if Koikatsu can save the renders in common/renpy supported formats, then you can use those with no problem.

TNbold93

Jul 30, 2019
Hi, I don't know much about Koikatsu, but renpy can display image/animation files in the common/open-source formats. It cannot use other specific programs' files, since usualy those files are proprietary (not always), and even then, the support is most likely not implemented in renpy.
I suspect the renpy doc has a list of the image/animation formats it supports (I personaly use png saved from Daz Studio renders).

So if Koikatsu can save the renders in common/renpy supported formats, then you can use those with no problem.

Hey, I finally figured out some ideas on how it works. Still having some trouble with RenPy but I think I have a solid grasp of working with koikatsu. Thank god for Mods though, some really great tools out there

hardwire666

Apr 12, 2018
I just started poking around in Ren’py my self. It can actually do a lot! Just really not user friendly if you’re not used to looking at code.

TNbold93

Jul 30, 2019
I'm used to working in Javascript, RenPy is a little jump. Images are looking to be my pain point right now. Aad trying to figure out how to do multiple branches in a story without having a GIANT main file.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
You can use multiple files, renpy can look at multiple script files, that is how many game devs do it, as long as the "last" jump gets updated to the new updated label. Or if you plan ahead, can make your old version already point to the new one.

Reactions: TNbold93

TNbold93

Jul 30, 2019
Yeah I found a good guide that explains how you can jump form file to file with labels. Also turns out my images were SUPER wide and that's why they weren't display correctly when I was using "show x at right". I finished a scene last night. The characters looks sloppy and the dialogue is ass but it works!