VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Staycation [v0.3.0] [Beanie]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs...

(01/20/2018 - Original Review - v0.01)

This feels more like a proof of concept game, as there is little to no content at all... And of course, this game is yet another in a long long line of overused Family Sex themed games...

The visuals are 2D hand drawn, and the characters are not bad looking... The backdrops are also hand drawn, and look spot on, very good quality... There is a bit of a cartoony feel to the visuals, which sort of hints at a possible humor theme, but hard to tell... The navigation works really well, and the user interface looks really good...

The script is excellent with no spelling/grammar errors that I saw, although there really isn't much text at the moment... This is definitely going to be a more grind based game, with the game days broken down into hourly increments... The plot currently revolves around a male protagonist who lives with his mother and 2 sisters, after their father left them with all their lottery winnings... And the protagonist needs to help the family income as well as build relationships with different characters... There is not much to this game right now, as it is pretty much a shell with the game mechanics in place and that is about it... You get a very brief character introduction of the family members, and the protagonist gets a job, but after that all there is to do is work and sleep... I spent an entire in-game week checking everything out each hour to see if there was anything else, and nada...

The biggest qualm I have with this game is that it is another one of those bazillion games that has one sister who likes the protagonist, and other that either treats him like crap or talks down to him... What the hell is up with that? Can't there ever be a moment when the family all gets along from the git-go? Why is there always one of those mean sister personalities? It is beginning to become annoying that so many of these visual novel/games use that personality dynamic when including more than one sister...

Overall, the visuals are pretty darn good, and the mechanics work smoothly, but there isn't much to this game right now... Not even sure there is any main plot, or if it is going a corruption route, or domination route, or a love/romance route, a mix, etc... The description says it will be sort of like a dating sim, but nothing indicates that in the game right now, since the content isn't really started yet... This game is SUPER early into it's development, and it does show a lot of promise, as the basic mechanics all seem to work smoothly... But for now there is no indication in the current content, as to how things will actually play out (regardless of the description)... We'll have to wait and see how the development goes... I do look forward to trying out this game again, once it has some meat on it's bones...

(01/25/2018 - Review Update - v0.2.0)

Not much content added with this update... There are some more characters added, all of which look good... There are some lead in for activities to perform, such as helping the younger sister with homework in her room, the mean sister just being more mean in her room, helping the mother with chores (she sits on the living room couch), the need to buy a gym membership to partake in yoga classes with the protagonists mom and sister, and a possible different job at the dinner... None of those activities actually work yet, but there was story lead in for them when talking to characters... Beyond the gym and dinner opening up, those are the only new locations that you can go into...

Some of those activities seem very familiar from lots of other VN/games of this game play style... Such as the younger sister with her homework, yoga, the older sister being a meanie, and mom needing help with money and chores...

We'll have to wait for future content updates to see how this one actually plays out... I still look forward to seeing what the future holds for it...