Steam Deck load from SFTP

KimbukNox

Jun 20, 2021
So I have amassed quite the library from here. Obviously I could fill a dozen microSDs and switch between them. I've even tried doing this with an A2 class microSD card from PNY, but I then killed it, so that seems even less ideal. But if I'm only playing these games while on my home LAN, and have a perfectly functional file server with NFS and SFTP, where all those games currently are anyways, I feel like there should be a way to just "stream" them over the network. Note: I do not mean the typical game streaming where video and inputs are what's streamed; I mean the files themselves as the Deck is plenty powerful enough to run the games, and RPGM and Ren'Py games wouldn't be fun to remotely run anyways.

So my question is, has anyone done something like this before? Made the Deck, or another WiFi Linux computer, just stream the files over SFTP, Samba, or NFS from a file server over AC WiFi? If so, any recommendations to make the setup streamlined? I know that I can launch games from the Ren'Py SDK, but I'm not yet certain on how it would behave with a non-local machine file store.