Steam game and updates

godfather77

Jun 2, 2021
I have bought a few games on Steam that are also available on this site. I noticed that updates seem to appear on this site quicker than Steam. Specifically City of Broken Dreamers Book 1. If i wanted to continue to play with the new content from this site and not lose my progress from the Steam version how would go about doing that?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Broken Dreamers is Ren'Py, so the game you download from here might find the appdata save on it's own. Unless its folder is named differently. Otherwise try copying the save folder from the Steam games "game" folder to the one from here.

Reactions: scrumbles

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The reason for the uneven update cycle is the competing pressure from patreons vs steam customers. Patreons want and expect regular updates, and so they get them. Steam customers want and expect 'finished' games, which is why I only put up there when Book 1 was done.

Then, because I was used to using the Beta branch of Steam to distribute the build during development, I pushed the builds of Book 2 to the Beta Branch; in my mind the Steam players were also players, and it felt wrong that F95 players should get the build earlier than Steam users. Once Book 2 is done, I'll do a full that (similar to what CoBD is doing).

Here's why CoBD is *not* pushing the updates out to normal Steam users :)

1630593685856.png

UserNed

Mar 18, 2019
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've not been able to find the information. Is it known what percentage the developer gets when their game is sold on Steam?

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've not been able to find the information. Is it known what percentage the developer gets when their game is sold on Steam?
Do you mean this info?

"Valve takes 30 percent of revenue when a game launches, but now developers can keep an additional five percent of revenue if their games bring in over $10 million in sales through Steam. Developers can then earn an additional five percent of revenue if a game brings in over $50 million in sales"

"One source explained that although Steam only takes 30%, other fees and deductions mean they are usually collecting closer to 65% on their end, while they say console sales return much closer to the full 70% but are stingier with refunds and the like"

Reactions: UserNed

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
The reason for the uneven update cycle is the competing pressure from patreons vs steam customers. Patreons want and expect regular updates, and so they get them. Steam customers want and expect 'finished' games, which is why I only put up there when Book 1 was done.
I'm not sure that it's because Steam customers expect finished games, i think it's more that Steam users expect unfinished games to be tagged as "early access" because that's what that tag is for. Otherwise it's assumed that the dev considers the game finished.

In your specific case, i would suggest explicitly putting "Book 1" in the title. From the point of view of someone who doesn't follow you or your games, i found it confusing.

Reactions: Zoltan Redbeard