Stereo (Manga) Viewer Web Prototype

MLocke

Feb 3, 2021
This is an alpha, so beware of heavy memory usage. Don't try it if you are worried about that because it loads all images at once, and I haven't created optimizations yet.

It's a stereoscopic depth viewer of sorts similar to Depth Player, assuming you've heard of that. The advantage of my app is that it loads a whole webcomic strip and supports VR. There's a 2D visualization and VR mode with WebXR. It loads an empty (black) scene by default. When you upload a zip with the appropriate 2D images + depth data, it loads all the images into memory.

I tried it on the Oculus Browser of the Quest 2. In VR, you can use the thumbstick to scroll and the grip to pull yourself around a bit. You should be able to see what it's all about with just the 2D part in Chrome using the mouse scroll wheel, mouse look, and WASD.

The displacement is high by default, so the depth may be exaggerated. You can lower the value by changing the url param to something like 0.9-0.12.

Site:
Sample Media:

The depth is obviously autogenerated by monocular estimation algorithms, so it's not going to be that noticeable oftentimes. Let me know if you think this close to being good enough and usable by some of you out there. I may move to rendering with WebXR layers and a different stereoscopic method. Feel free to let me know if there are better ways to view this kind of 3D still image content.

EDIT: I recommend trying Sextagram Image 008 from the zip file in to see that the effect can get a lot stronger. I went with something subtler and simpler for now. Use the L as Reference Image and the R as Depth Image.

Last edited: