VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Stimulation [v0.2] [RIK Productions]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.1...

This is a very creative and interesting visual novel/game... It sorta has the overused Family Sex stuff, but it try's to work around it by everything just being a simulation...

The visuals are 2D hand drawn, and look creative and unique... They are not cartoony and look almost like graphic novel style characters, which I find to be very creative and like the concept... The backdrops are the same way, all looking creative and unique, with the exception of the computerized backdrops which are reminiscent of The Matrix...

The script is pretty spot on, as I really don't remember running into any spelling/grammar errors... The plot revolves around a male protagonist military member who is partaking in a government experiment to better understand the human mind by placing over a thousand people into a virtual simulation... There they will play out a simulated universe... But something goes wrong with the A.I. and from there the protagonist takes control of himself completely within the simulated world... And of course, he starts to get his kink on...

The game mechanics involve all types of stuff, from influencing characters, to peeping, to viewing prior activities of characters, to hacking their influence, and the list goes on...

The one caveat that I'm not a huge fan of, is that this visual novel/game is full of mini-games... All sorts of them... Most of them are ok, but the one I found the most annoying was the first one with having to remember what Pod number you were in and having an actual timer count down, otherwise you fail... I really truly think the timer bit was way too much... That is player punishment at its worst... The other one I'm not a real fan of is the rock-scissors-paper game to hack the influence... Get used to a lot of save/load game if you hate it as much as I did... The other mini-games were picture puzzles and word guessing, all of which I recommend using save/load game in case you fail too much... I am not a fan of the over use of mini-games... It may be something the eastern players are into, but most western players don't like when it's this prevalent... These mini-games could be what makes or breaks this VN/game depending on how the players/readers take it...

Overall, I loved the story concept as it was unique and creative, and although it becomes a bit more like a game then a full on visual novel, I still enjoyed it (regardless of the mini-games)... It shows a lot of promise, and I can't wait to see how it develops, as it is very early in production... I will definitely check back after a couple content updates come out, to see how it fairs... As it teased a lot at some dating sim stuff with some characters, as they go on outings with the protagonist, which is where the story could actually shine if it's handled right...