VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Stop The Earth, I'm Getting Off: Crystal City [Enjoy Games]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Bob Jared

This is a visual NOVEL in it's purist form. By which I mean that after one short point&click adventure section near the beginning; it is completely on rails from that point on. (absolutely no gameplay or choices of any kind)

That means this is the type of "game" that lives and dies based only on visuals and storytelling. Thankfully the visuals are excellent. As is the story up to a point.

However, around the tail end of the prison sequence, the pacing suddenly picks up so drastically that everything feels extremely rushed from that point forward.

Furthermore, while it could use some work in the first half due to various typos and strange word choices (such as the use of double-ganger instead of doppelganger); the translation quality takes a nose-dive immediately after the prison sequence and gets progressively worse from there. Toward the end I could barely follow the dialogue and there was even a completely untranslated part.

Finally, the ending was extremely disappointing. To abruptly decide to return to his old world where he had nothing after making multiple real connections in the new one is just utterly stupid for the MC and cruel to the characters he made connections with. The "to be continued" is the only reason I'm holding out hope but I may need to edit this depending on how the sequel ends.