Storyboarder: Does anyone use it?

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I've recently embarked on the journey of creating my first game,
Currently, I had the dialogue laid out in word and all renders (final and placeholders) laid out in a folders. It was working ok, but decided to look for some software to help.

I came across that seems to fit what I'm looking for to help outline my scenes.
Storyboard.PNG

Does anyone else use this tool? Just been giving it a quick play around and it seems to be pretty helpful.

A few notes from an hour of experimenting:

The good:
  • Easily add images and move them about
  • Can export the full scene (as above) for better comparison
  • Can add script to each scene
  • Can mark images if changes need to be made
  • Ability to export all images in a single directory, that are kindly named and numbered. This could help a lot for scene generation in Ren'py as each is numbered and in order
The not so good:
  • I haven't found a easy way to add text to images. It has a lot of powerful tools for temp characters etc, but seems to be missing this basic feature (unless I'm blind). Having to rely on cutting and pasting from paint for any placeholders
  • Could get tedious with multiple branches/choices. I imagine this could be done with multiple projects/scenes with each route having a new project
What's everyone's thoughts? Are there better tools out there than this? Searching the forums, I haven't found one that stands out as the go-to tool for this type of planning.

ScroxDieded

Nov 6, 2017
I'm on the planning phases of my first game as well. I'd like to know if there's tools like these used, or better/different ones.

hardwire666

Apr 12, 2018
I did some searching recently and I came across a ton of different recommendations. My goto is to just make a spreadsheet. I tend to skip the traditional storyboard stage for comic/vn types of projects because I am lazy. More often than not I'm more concerned with figuring out how many scenes I need over the specifics of the scenes themselves. I tend to organize the logistical stuff and then "on the fly" the creative stuff.

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
I'd recommend Microsoft's OneNote
What my 3D binder looks like (I use it for everything, from journaling/emotional processing to when I had to write my undergrad thesis and didn't want to use physical note cards! #SoMuchBetter)
Screenshot 2021-02-16 23.47.45.png
Brief summary that I'm happy to expand on further if you're interested:

• It's a visual way to organize multimedia pages
    • This is a page - it can hold text, drawn art, images etc; I believe these notes were from a game maker's toolkit video
    • It's within a tab - one I've called Game Mechanics
    • Which is within a book - I've called this book 3D Animation
  • The page (I think) is infinitely big
    • When I was an instructor,
      • I'd write an outline at the left;
      • dump in copy-pasted online dictionary defintions to the right of that;
      • then dump example images to the right of that;
      • then write all over this stuff with my Surface stylus pen;
      • rinse and repeat
  • I'm pretty sure you can share a page all the way up to a book with anyone, so, if you ended up working on a team, having common work spaces/information deposits are totally doable
Were it me, I'd dump images in (literally click-drag) and then write notes etc around each (Oh - even the text is held in moveable boxes and you can select + pull out any piece you want into a new box ... that's how I've labeled the diagrams, here)

Give it a try - it's SUPER flexible

Family Fun

Nov 9, 2020
I have used Storyboards for a couple of games I have in mind. Looking at the images it looks as though you have already created the images you want to use in your game so I'm not sure how useful a storyboard would be for you at this point.

I first wrote up what the story would be then used a storyboard to set a location and characters. That helps me to know what to create in DAZ Studio.

I used . it's not as nice as some of the other stuff show here but it's free and works for me.