Daz Strand Based hair slow..... (snail slow)

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Yep, the hair seems to slow everything very much.
I wonder if i do anything wrong with the hair. I tried different ones but it seems that because it's strand based hair it will slow everything down.
Currently i am using Romane hair which looks great.
I do know that turning off preview will make everything fast again but you need to turn it on for renders because otherwise it doesn't show up or only parts of it.
And, saving a scene takes ages with the hair on. It literately takes about 3 minutes to save.

I like to keep the hair if i can but i just don't know what i am doing wrong.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Well it might be the asset so you could try another strand based hair asset. It could also help to reboot your PC or reinstall Daz if that doesn't help.
However I think the more likely reason for the slowdowns is that your PC is running out of memory. If that is the case you could try to clean up your PC make shure no unnecessary programs are running in the background. If that doesn't help maybe a RAM upgrade is an option. It made a lot of difference in my case.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well it might be the asset so you could try another strand based hair asset. It could also help to reboot your PC or reinstall Daz if that doesn't help.
However I think the more likely reason for the slowdowns is that your PC is running out of memory. If that is the case you could try to clean up your PC make shure no unnecessary programs are running in the background. If that doesn't help maybe a RAM upgrade is an option. It made a lot of difference in my case.
Thanks for taking time.

Well, i will check on that.
Though i have 32 GB of ram, the graphic card has 12GB.
It's a rather small scene (2 rooms from European Apartment) and 3 figures (gen8).
The reason i concluded that it is the strand based hair is that when i disable the preview it runs fine but yes, i agree about the ram. Since i started with DAZ, it usually was always the ram. On the other hand, if i just only load her (nothing else) and the hair is on, it's the same.
I did some tests.
Turning off or on PS or PR hair did not make a difference. PS needs to be on for the render.
But, if i check off "Visible in Viewport" hair disappears but shows up in the render. With that it is as fast as usual. So i think i will opt for that until i find some other solution. The hair itself is great. I just don't know why it slows down everything.

When i use it on my figure alone, it will occupy 1800K of GPU Ram. When rendering starts, it will jump to 5000K of GPU ram.
There isn't anything in the scene besides the figure with clothing and hair.

Thank you