oldstrong

Aug 2, 2018
part of your statement is true as it is 99,9% just an excuse in those situations,

but PCs "break" all the time if you work with them alot. i buy a new pc and laptop every 3-4 years and every single one had one component that "broke" during its lifetime. Since im an IT guy it is absolutely no problem to fix it but not everyone is...
Components breaking are kinda normal really, but HD breaking aren't common since early 2000's, SSD breaking is almost impossible.

rest of components would at max delay work for 15 days max.

Qalx

Sep 29, 2022
Components breaking are kinda normal really, but HD breaking aren't common since early 2000's, SSD breaking is almost impossible.

rest of components would at max delay work for 15 days max.
clearly you have a lot of experience in nothing! unfortunately "HD's" still break often, even SSD's can wear out because even though they have no moving parts they have limited cycle times, even if they are quite long now compared to the past...
the only thing you're right about is that the excuse of malfunctions for so long is not justified...

• Thinking Face
Reactions: oldstrong

oldstrong

Aug 2, 2018
clearly you have a lot of experience in nothing! unfortunately "HD's" still break often, even SSD's can wear out because even though they have no moving parts they have limited cycle times, even if they are quite long now compared to the past...
the only thing you're right about is that the excuse of malfunctions for so long is not justified...
No experience, just 14 years working on bank IT, for each 100 MB's i had to change, i would barely count 1 HD, for SSD the only 1 ever had to change was because of power surge PSU couldnt hold.

Most of problems on HD were because of user, not the hardware.

Qalx

Sep 29, 2022
No experience, just 14 years working on bank IT, for each 100 MB's i had to change, i would barely count 1 HD, for SSD the only 1 ever had to change was because of power surge PSU couldnt hold.

Most of problems on HD were because of user, not the hardware.
so you worked with ”professional” HDs and didn't encountered any problems...
btw I recently had a SSD that became less stable after 2 years of daily use...

JackMiejov

May 20, 2021
but HD breaking aren't common since early 2000's, SSD breaking is almost impossible.
HD's" still break often, even SSD's can wear out because even though they have no moving parts they have limited cycle times
Qalx is correct. I worked for a company that manufactured SSDs from 2019 to 2023. It is actually very easy to wear out an SSD with modern QLC NAND flash, which is almost every SSD made since 2021. You can do it in only a few days of constant writing. A common real-life case that will kill an SSD in a few months is to use an SSD that is >95% full as your OS/boot drive. SSDs will also fail if you don't use them at all. If you take your SSD out of your computer and set it on a shelf for 5 years, then plug it in and try to use it, there's a good chance that not only will your data be gone but the drive will be bricked.

3.20 star(s) 62 Votes