Strange alien signs on the forehead, of my lovely female??

ViccieBros

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2021
Strange alien signs on the forehead, of my lovely female??

I was helped with a problem earlier. Maybe this is easy to fix also?
This is not occuring everytime , that is was making it a riddle for me.

strange signs.png

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
Those are artifacts from the hair.
You need to increase the hairline (HeadTop / Head Forward) settings to get rid of it.

Reactions: ViccieBros

macintosh76

May 20, 2021
Yes, artifacts from the hair, if you do a render without the hair it should disappear. There are couple of ways to make it disappear (as mentionned in that thread), if the hair are dforce, you can also remove the visibility of the scalp or add a push parameter. Sorry cannot screenshot for you today, as my DAZ is rendering.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
From what I remember (I don't do Daz), the general advice with hair is to add the character to the origin point of the scene (0,0,0) and then add the hair and arrange it. Only once you are happy with everything, THEN move the character to their final position within the scene.

I believe there are some math problems with having a character at the edge of a scene and then adding the hair afterward.
That might not be the issue here - but since it's advice I've seen before and nobody mentioned it... I figure it can't do any harm.

ViccieBros

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2021
Thnx again. I am tackling an prior problem. But tomorrow i will fix this with your tips. (y)

dynamix911

Dec 24, 2018
The absolute easiest way to fix this issue, IMO, is Photoshop. Here is your image after about 30 seconds with the spot healing brush tool:

1334872_strange_signs-fixed.png

Other renders will take a little more work, as the healing brush only works particularly well when the problem is isolated to an otherwise undetailed area. For the trickier spots, I'll use the method others mentioned, adjusting the forehead depth parameter on the hair. But I've found that changing this will often simply result in moving the problem area around, rather than eliminating it. What I'll do is a complete render of the whole scene, then make like a 4% adjustment to the forehead depth, then spot-render just the problem area. Then I'll use that as a layer mask in Photoshop to paint out only the bad spots in the original image. This has been a 100% effective method for me and definitely faster than trying to fiddle with the parameters until I find a setting that looks good enough.

ViccieBros

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2021
Well, it looks great. No alien signs anymore. So what you are suggesting, is (besides the 4 % adjustment) to correct the image with a "good looking" layer. Maybe i can choose the scene and place my character in the right position. Uncheck the apartment, and then make a separate render for a layer. Thanx, for the tip. (y)

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Maybe i can choose the scene and place my character in the right position. Uncheck the apartment, and then make a separate render for a layer.

My advice wasn't quite that.
Just make sure that you place the hair (and arrange it), while the character is in the central point (0,0,0). After that, you can move it.

Although a better way is to leave the "main" character at 0,0,0 and assemble the rest of the room around them.
Though, perhaps only aim to do that in future scenes - no point moving things in existing scenes that work okay.

You can add as many elements as you like (up to the VRAM limits of your graphics card). It's only hair that's usually a problem, due to it's tendency for hair that is usually hidden within the shape of the head, to stick out of the forehead a little because of the very high precision math needed to keep it in the right place.

Last edited:

dynamix911

Dec 24, 2018
Well, it looks great. No alien signs anymore. So what you are suggesting, is (besides the 4 % adjustment) to correct the image with a "good looking" layer. Maybe i can choose the scene and place my character in the right position. Uncheck the apartment, and then make a separate render for a layer. Thanx, for the tip. (y)
Sort-of. More like taking two flawed layers and combining the good parts of each to make 1 perfect layer. Layer masks make this really easy, as they allow you to paint in or erase specific parts of the layer in the same way you would paint with a solid color over a transparency. For this to work I don't need to move my character at-all, or change any of my scenery, just the forehead adjustment and a spot render, then a little photoshopping.