Ren'Py Strange problem in translation

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Hi people,

I have a curious problem when I have reviewed the English translation of my game.

I have a character named Charlene, and it's defined as "ch."
Code:
define ch = Character("Charlene",color="#D5F5E3",image="charlenespeak")
In the original code, whose text is in Spanish, I can use it without problems, both "ch" and "chch" which is the variable I use when the character thinks something.

On the other hand, when running the game in English, I have the problem that does not show me the name of the character on screen, but the dialog shows.

It doesn't appear if I use "ch" or "chch", but if I try to change the translated line so that another character says it, for example the protagonist that would be "t", the name is shown.

It's very strange... I thought that maybe the letters "ch" could be used as a diminutive of "character" in renpy and that could cause the problem, but if so I suppose I would also have the same problem with the Spanish text, and that's not so.

Do you know why?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In the original code, whose text is in Spanish, I can use it without problems, both "ch" and "chch" which is the variable I use when the character thinks something.

On the other hand, when running the game in English, I have the problem that does not show me the name of the character on screen, but the dialog shows.

It doesn't appear if I use "ch" or "chch", but if I try to change the translated line so that another character says it, for example the protagonist that would be "t", the name is shown.
It's strange.
Is it still happening if, instead of using ch to store the Character object, you use CH ?
Is it still happening if you change the name of the said ch character ?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
It's strange.
Is it still happening if, instead of using ch to store the Character object, you use CH ?
Is it still happening if you change the name of the said ch character ?
Do you want to know something?... now it works well o_Oo_Oo_O

I don't understand what happened, I loaded the game several times and had the same problem... Well, I'll keep testing to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thank you very much for your assistance ;)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Well, I'll keep testing to make sure it doesn't happen again.
If it happen again, immediately try this in the console :
  • type( ch ) ;
    It should return <class 'renpy.character.ADVCharacter'>. It will tell it the object have been overwrote or not.
  • repr( ch ) ;
    It should return "<Character: u'Charlene'>". It will tell it the name have been deleted/replaced or not.
  • say( ch, "validation" ) ;
    It should send you temporarily out of the console, displaying the dialog box ("say" screen). And like it's from the console and a direct call to the function, it should shortcut the translation part ; anyway "validation" shouldn't be part of the translated text. So, it should eliminate (or not) the translation feature as part of the bug.
    [/code]
    Perhaps that one of these will help understand what happen, or at least eliminate possibilities.

Reactions: Porcus Dev