Daz Suddenly, all my characters are looking awfully distorted... what happened?

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
So... I was manually installing some assets, routine stuff...
And as I get back to Daz Studio to check them out, EVERY single female G8 model (the old ones, and the new) are looking terribly distorted (nose, lips, eyes, eyebrows, face, hips, waist, etc)
I ran onto a similar problem once, when not re-naming converted models (from G3 to G8)... it looks like there's hidden model being applied to them or something
Even the G8 Female base model is suffering from the same thing

example001.png
example002.png
example003.png

This is how she's supposed to look
mandyportraitb.png

How can I find out what happened?
Or which asset caused the issue? 'Cause I've just installed nearly a hundred... --"
Is there a way to check what is being applied to my G8 Female base model that's causing the distortion?

Thanks in advance guys

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
One way to find what gets loaded is to start Daz, and first thing is go to the Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File.
Once the text file opens, Ctrl+A to select all, Delete, Save and close the file.
Now load your Genesis figure, once its loaded, reopen that file the same way and look what the text says, maybe you can find the morph that is doing this.

Reactions: SummmerP

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
One way to find what gets loaded is to start Daz, and first thing is go to the Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File.
Once the text file opens, Ctrl+A to select all, Delete, Save and close the file.
Now load your Genesis figure, once its loaded, reopen that file the same way and look what the text says, maybe you can find the morph that is doing this.
Dafuc is this?
:rolleyes:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Ok first, don't panic.

Now, many of those warnings I have had as well, some are from the merchants themselves making mistakes, others are from missing products. But these do not get loaded as in, applied to the figure, they just mean "Hey, by the way, that morph XYZ, it's missing this component to work properly".

Scroll down and there should be at the end of the file the stuff that does get loaded, right?

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
Ok first, don't panic.

Now, many of those warnings I have had as well, some are from the merchants themselves making mistakes, others are from missing products. But these do not get loaded as in, applied to the figure, they just mean "Hey, by the way, that morph XYZ, it's missing this component to work properly".

Scroll down and there should be at the end of the file the stuff that does get loaded, right?
You mean "first, unpanic" right? :poop:

Well, yes.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Ok there are many morphs beeing loaded, so I should have made myself clear sorry, are you loading your character, or the base Genesis 8 Figure?
The best way to narrow down the morph(s) messing with your figure is to load the Genesis 8 Figure, not your character.
So if you did load your character, please do the same but with the base figure and post the stuff that gets loaded, if not, then holy cow ... In any case, let me know.

Edit: Aaah you beat me to it, well there you have it :

2020-09-06 00:49:16.980 Loaded file: FHMVex3DSZilphaHead.dsf
2020-09-06 00:49:17.049 Loaded file: FBMVex3DSZilphaBody.dsf
2020-09-06 00:49:17.291 Loaded file: CTRLVex3DSZilpha.dsf

These are what mess up your figure, so I would suggest your look for them in your "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/in some subfolder", probably a "Vex" or "Vex3DS" subfolder, and move them out of there to a temporary folder outside (don't delete just yet) and test, if stuff works, great, then if you want, you can try to figure out if you realy need these morphs. If you find a "Zilpha" subfolder in "Vex" then move the entire folder, that's the character that gets loaded.

I have the Ensley file EnsleyHDLv2.dsf , so it's not a problem, but those three i suspect are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cul and SummmerP

SummmerP

Disrespected User
Game Developer
Jun 26, 2017
Ok there are many morphs beeing loaded, so I should have made myself clear sorry, are you loading your character, or the base Genesis 8 Figure?
The best way to narrow down the morph(s) messing with your figure is to load the Genesis 8 Figure, not your character.
So if you did load your character, please do the same but with the base figure and post the stuff that gets loaded, if not, then holy cow ... In any case, let me know.

These are what mess up your figure, so I would suggest your look for them in your "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/in some subfolder", probably a "Vex" or "Vex3DS" subfolder, and move them out of there to a temporary folder outside (don't delete just yet) and test, if stuff works, great, then if you want, you can try to figure out if you realy need these morphs. If you find a "Zilpha" subfolder in "Vex" then move the entire folder, that's the character that gets loaded.

I have the Ensley file EnsleyHDLv2.dsf , so it's not a problem, but those three i suspect are.
You sir... are an angel
It worked
It's fixed

Thanks a lot, u saved me man
:)
I owe you

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Now as for the other warnings, it's really up to you, if you have time some day or evening, you can go through the missing files, manualy look for them in your morph folders, and move them to your figure's folder (I saw you say you have two figures, so maybe you moved some morphs but not others), they usualy come in bunches with a character, or a morph pack, but it takes some time. Also some morphs are just messed up from the merchants themselves, they ship products using unavailable morphs, or depend on morphs from other products, while others are from converted characters that use bones not available for genesis 8 (like the Heel warnings, legacy of genesis 3 characters' bad conversions).
In any case, nothing realy bad, but can be fixed with some detective work.

Edit: That's a cute character by the way!

Reactions: cbsx

MG-Gaming

Nov 11, 2018

I was wondering if you could help me as well.
I followed the first 2 steps, but i still get an absolute insane amount of errors. and i don't know what i am supposed to look for.
My character's chin is super pointy and her eyebrows are waaay too wonky.

I don't know which file i'm looking for to delete.
If you can help me, that would be great, since this character is custom made by me and i doubt i would be able to make her again.

• Sad
Nov 28, 2019
This one is probably the one causing the distorted face problems:
Expression Smoother for Genesis 8 Female and Male

You also get errors for a morph set from Zeddicus that is very widely used for boob adjustments:
Z Natural Breasts (which is superseded by the newer version Z Natural Form Breast Shape and Squishes Mega Set for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female , so makes sense to remove and replace that one anyhow.

And this character seems to collide with some stuff:
Domino HD for Genesis 3 & 8 Female

GOOD ADVICE TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE:
Some morphs and shaping tools have a tendency to get stuck in the basic load settings for more or less all characters. If you can't find any obvious issue and the not always crystal clear infos in the log don't enlighten you successfully it's a good idea to:

[A]
- Uninstall the Genesis Starter Kits that come with the basic installation of Daz Studio
- Reinstall them (in DIM: Click the clockwheel in the upper right, then choose "Defaul Install Sets...")

In some cases that's the only thing that gets rid of unwanted crap that's not going away by simply uninstalling some morph sets.

- Use the Dev Versions of the Genesis 8 or Genesis 8.1 basic female or male. It's completely naked (not even basic materials) and ment to be used by developers who wantneed a completely clean slate as basis for their character creations.

Pro: Pretty certain it doesn't have unwanted stuff attached, that causes problems.
Con: Well, it's got NOTHING attached, so you truely start from scratch.

You find them here:
\DAZ 3D\Content\People\Genesis 8 Female\Developer Kit\
\DAZ 3D\Content\People\Genesis 8 Male\Developer Kit\

Brutt_Axeman

Formerly 'Secundus67'
Dec 28, 2023
This one is probably the one causing the distorted face problems:
Expression Smoother for Genesis 8 Female and Male

You also get errors for a morph set from Zeddicus that is very widely used for boob adjustments:
Z Natural Breasts (which is superseded by the newer version Z Natural Form Breast Shape and Squishes Mega Set for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Female , so makes sense to remove and replace that one anyhow.

And this character seems to collide with some stuff:
Domino HD for Genesis 3 & 8 Female

GOOD ADVICE TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE:
Some morphs and shaping tools have a tendency to get stuck in the basic load settings for more or less all characters. If you can't find any obvious issue and the not always crystal clear infos in the log don't enlighten you successfully it's a good idea to:

[A]
- Uninstall the Genesis Starter Kits that come with the basic installation of Daz Studio
- Reinstall them (in DIM: Click the clockwheel in the upper right, then choose "Defaul Install Sets...")

In some cases that's the only thing that gets rid of unwanted crap that's not going away by simply uninstalling some morph sets.

- Use the Dev Versions of the Genesis 8 or Genesis 8.1 basic female or male. It's completely naked (not even basic materials) and ment to be used by developers who wantneed a completely clean slate as basis for their character creations.

Pro: Pretty certain it doesn't have unwanted stuff attached, that causes problems.
Con: Well, it's got NOTHING attached, so you truely start from scratch.

You find them here:
\DAZ 3D\Content\People\Genesis 8 Female\Developer Kit\
\DAZ 3D\Content\People\Genesis 8 Male\Developer Kit\
I think WP GURU's video on the use of ERC FREECE and "fit rig into shape" is the key solution...we are all eager to use shape morphing so fast that we don't count on consequences an unfitted rig and a morph that is not erc freezed can bring to our figures:)