Ren'Py Suggested workflow for writing Ren'py dialogue

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
I'm interested to know if the there ways of making the process of writing dialogue for Ren'py easier. Should it start out as just a plain text document that has the various bits for how the dialogue shows in the textbox and then copy-pasted in to the code? Or is there a way that makes the process of turning regular text into code easier?

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I'm interested to know if the there ways of making the process of writing dialogue for Ren'py easier. Should it start out as just a plain text document that has the various bits for how the dialogue shows in the textbox and then copy-pasted in to the code? Or is there a way that makes the process of turning regular text into code easier?
Just write it directly as code in Atom. Python is based on how code is indented and Atom will format it for you. Trust me, you do not want to write it in a word processor and then have to fix all the formatting later. If you're worried about unfinished code interfering with your game, Atom has a hotkey to autocomment out everything you select.

Last edited:

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
I see what you mean with keeping the indents correct from WordPad to the code editor. When I tried to do that it was a mess. That's why I am trying to work out a system that would keep the indents and other necessities from text editor to code editor.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I see what you mean with keeping the indents correct from WordPad to the code editor. When I tried to do that it was a mess. That's why I am trying to work out a system that would keep the indents and other necessities from text editor to code editor.
Just use the code editor. If you don't want the code to run select it and hit the key to toggle comments on and off. It's the simplest way, trust me.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Personally I don't like writing it directly as code. I write a text document in pseudo code that I later copy-paste into Atom and then reformat etc. I write this before rendering but code it after. It might look something like:

scene mc on phone, mc grinning
mc "Hey, Girl, how YOU doin'"

scene girl on phone smiling
girl "Hey, [mc]! I'm great, I'm so happy you called."

scene view outside MC house, rocket about to impact
mc "I'm great too, thanks for asking! I have a feeling this will be an awesome day."

The texts after scene are later replaced with image names.

In the end, all that matters is what works for you. Mine is probably definitely not the best way but it works for me.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I too would tend to write the script first within Atom. Unless you are writing a kinetic novel, any branches are going to make context matter - not least because devs tend to alter their dialogue when they realize what pictures they are going to be using at that point in the script (and visa versa). By all means, storyboard it first if that helps. But write the game as a game first and foremost.

If you're worried about advanced spelling or grammar checking... the RenPy launcher has an option for [Extract Dialogue].

If you extract your project into a single text file while switching on the option to strip out any text tags from the dialogue, it's then possible to copy/paste the contents of that text file into other programs/websites to allow extra proof reading.

I'm still using Atom, and I do have the spellchecker switch on.
But modern versions of M$ Word or Google Docs have much better advanced spell checking (not just single words, but words within context too).
Going further, it's possible to run the dialogue from your game through tools like Grammarly. (Though if you stick to the free version, you'll need to break your dialogue.txt file into smaller chunks to meet their word/character limit).
Then it's just a process of making the changes recommended by Word/Docs/Grammerly into the original scripts using Atom.

It's a multi-stage process and therefore a bit of a PITA, but if you leave it as the last step before releasing a chapter/version of your game - it shouldn't be too odorous as a final "spelling and grammar checking".

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I too would tend to write the script first within Atom. Unless you are writing a kinetic novel, any branches are going to make context matter - not least because devs tend to alter their dialogue when they realize what pictures they are going to be using at that point in the script (and visa versa). By all means, storyboard it first if that helps. But write the game as a game first and foremost.

If you're worried about advanced spelling or grammar checking... the RenPy launcher has an option for [Extract Dialogue].

If you extract your project into a single text file while switching on the option to strip out any text tags from the dialogue, it's then possible to copy/paste the contents of that text file into other programs/websites to allow extra proof reading.

But modern versions of M$ Word or Google Docs have much better advanced spell checking (not just single words, but words within context too).
Going further, it's possible to run the dialogue from your game through tools like Grammarly. (Though if you stick to the free version, you'll need to break your dialogue.txt file into smaller chunks to meet their word/character limit).
Then it's just a process of making the changes recommended by Word/Docs/Grammerly into the original scripts using Atom.

It's a multi-stage process and therefore a bit of a PITA, but if you leave it as the last step before releasing a chapter/version of your game - it shouldn't be too odorous as a final "spelling and grammar checking".
Yes, it is a pity with the grammar.
I installed Grammarly and it now even checks the quotations in the reply. Funny.

I am using Visual Studio Code.
But this is a great tip and it works fine.
I can just copy and paste and it shows suggestions.

I think most errors happen when you are in haste.

For some reason, I think the better approach is to write a script of dialog before you insert in the code. This should also help to set the stage for what is going to happen and make renders to match the dialog.
I am doing it the other way around so far and this isn't really working for me.

With all these tools it should help to have a really bad dialog from a grammar perspective at least.

Thanks

p.s. i just want to mention that is what i think. I am not sure if i am write or anything. It just seems to make more sense. That's all.

Last edited:

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for commenting on this. Seems there is no special trick to writing the dialogue just got to do it in the code editor.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I use google docs.

Doing it in google docs makes it easier to organize. By using highlights on certain things (like choices), color coding, comments on the side bar, and using the different headlines to break into sections. If you decide you want to rewrite a scene, doing it in an organized word processing document is a lot easier than editing it in code to me.

There are also paid programs like scrivener that are good too.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Regarding Grammarly.
Do you know if the premium is worth it. It offers full sentence suggestions and corrections. This could come in handy for a person like me who isn't a native English speaker but i am not sure how good it is to warrant $12 Dollars a month. Just curious.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Regarding Grammarly.
Do you know if the premium is worth it. It offers full sentence suggestions and corrections. This could come in handy for a person like me who isn't a native English speaker but i am not sure how good it is to warrant $12 Dollars a month. Just curious.
I don't know.

I've only ever used the free version.

I would say it's not perfect for AVNs. The style of writing for AVNs is very informal. Even with the free version set for informal writing, I found myself ignoring some of it's suggestions.

Based on your posts so far, your level of English is fine for an AVN, grammerly or not.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Never used Grammarly, but I have limited experience with Google Docs spellchecker (as in, it tries to correct me and I get annoyed and turn it off). It's fine and it's free, so if you (yester64) absolutely need one then use that.

But I'll read a manga with shitty translation if the art is good enough, so keep that in mind too.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Since this is also about workflow, i wonder what software could be utilized to visualize the progress of a story. Like a story board.
It suppose it is like a powerpoint perhaps but are the tools like that as app or web applications?
Something besides a piece of paper where you write down everything you want to do in a game. Including the conclusion.

p.s. there is always the cardboard of course. Seems easier.

Last edited:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Since this is also about workflow, i wonder what software could be utilized to visualize the progress of a story. Like a story board.
It suppose it is like a powerpoint perhaps but are the tools like that as app or web applications?
Something besides a piece of paper where you write down everything you want to do in a game. Including the conclusion.

p.s. there is always the cardboard of course. Seems easier.
There's a free storyboard program called "storyboarder" (duh). I used it a little (not for VNs) and I think it's quite versatile, even if it works better if you're an artist at heart.

In addition to Grammarly, I use Hemingway Editor, which fits well the kind of writing style I want to keep.
Unfortunately, both Grammarly and HE destroy indentation, so I can't feed them code and get code in return.
I too am satisfied with Free Grammarly. The paid options do not attract me much (just sometimes a mild curiosity about some of its "advanced" suggestions), if I'll ever buy it, it'll be out of sheer gratitude for a tool that I simply can't do without.

To answer the OP, I write pseudo-code (it looks more or less like Nicke's one) in Google Docs (this is because I need to access it from different places and share it with other team-members), then fix it in Editra. Yeah, Atom is much better, but I'm too used to Editra.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
There's a free storyboard program called "storyboarder" (duh). I used it a little (not for VNs) and I think it's quite versatile, even if it works better if you're an artist at heart.

In addition to Grammarly, I use Hemingway Editor, which fits well the kind of writing style I want to keep.
Unfortunately, both Grammarly and HE destroy indentation, so I can't feed them code and get code in return.
I too am satisfied with Free Grammarly. The paid options do not attract me much (just sometimes a mild curiosity about some of its "advanced" suggestions), if I'll ever buy it, it'll be out of sheer gratitude for a tool that I simply can't do without.

To answer the OP, I write pseudo-code (it looks more or less like Nicke's one) in Google Docs (this is because I need to access it from different places and share it with other team-members), then fix it in Editra. Yeah, Atom is much better, but I'm too used to Editra.
Oh yes, this thing.
I did see that but thought, mm.. that isn't for me, i don't draw.
Have to take a look again.
Thanks.