• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Suggestions please...

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
I hope Im posting this in the right place so please bare with me. If I wanted to create ones of these games. High end with animation and the best high quality software elements etc what would you all suggest...Im retired now and have plenty of time on my hands. Look foreward to the input. Thanks in advance...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
High end with animation and the best high quality software elements etc what would you all suggest...
If it's really the specification you want, then I suggest to learn how to use Blender, and how to code in C# in order to later learn own to use Unity game engine.

Or you can be more modest, and learn to how to use Daz Studio and Ren'py. The couple can still do really good, but it will not be "high end" quality.

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
Aiming for high end only...just picked up blender...(Nice price I must say). C#...no experience at all. That being said, Ive always had a pretty sharp learning curve. ..Anxious to get started. Ive published a few things so Im good on storyline stuff...Thanks so very much for the input :)

Last edited:

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
This may not be very popular advice but trust me, it's good advice: Start small, build up.

Say for instance you decide you want to try out Unity. Try to figure out how to put an image and some text on the screen. After that, figure out how to make a 3D object and make it move, and so forth. You get the idea.

Eventually, you should have gotten a much better understanding about how Unity works than when you started and you can start making more educated steps towards your goal. That's when you take what you've learned and use it to make something more real.

As for high-end tools... they're all high end tools in the hands of experts. Tools can only make job easier or faster but it's not like Blender is going to model or animate for you.

Last edited:

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
This may not be very popular advice but trust me, it's good advice: Start small, build up.

Say for instance you decide you want to try out Unity. Try to figure out how to put an image and some text on the screen. After that, figure out how to make a 3D object and make it move, and so forth. You get the idea.

Eventually, you should have gotten a much better understanding about how Unity works than when you started and you can start making more educated steps towards your goal. That's when you take what you've learned and use it to make something more real.

As for high-end tools... they're all high end tools in the hands of experts. Tools can only make job easier or faster but it's not like Blender is going to model or animate for you.
Appreciate it...sounds like sage wisdom to me, and it makes good sense. As i said, I'm retired so no huge rush. I intended on trying other tools anyway. Once again thanks very much...

Reactions: Tompte and Cul

Jofur

May 22, 2018
My best advice is to not jump into a large game until you have a decent amount of experience. Make a lot of smaller games, try out how things that work, what doesn't, how to actually finish a project.
I'm speaking from experience. I've more or less completely rewritten the entire architecture and thousands of scripts to one of my games three times because I started it when I was too inexperienced and it became a huge mess.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Welcome to the "This looks like fun and I want to make a game" club :) I've been a member for years and still not released anything yet! (Although that's my own fault, not trying to discourage anyone else!)

You'll find that the readers and commenters here in the programming and dev sub-forum are very supportive.

I strongly support Jofur's advice above: the sheer volume of work required to make any game at all, let alone a complex/visually beautiful/polished game is really significant. So it's better to build up your skills with smaller projects first. And the most important skills are knowing how to control your scope-creep, your need for perfection, and the willpower to *just finish* and release your work.

If you want any help understanding the tools, just make a thread and ask away.

Good luck!

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
Thanks guys...everyone here has been very supportive. Ive had IT experience for over 30 years. I understand all too well that some of it can be "daunting" and I'm prepared for it. As I said earlier I'm retired now so I have plenty of time on my hands and ready for a new challenge. I just picked up Unity and Blender, been playing around with them a bit already. I'm also getting some coaching on C# as anne O'nymous suggested earlier. At the very least, this will be good knowledge to have.
Believe me, I have every intention of starting small and trust me if I need help you guys will be aware of it. Tell ya one thing though, whatever I create I have no intention of selling it. Gonna give it all away...just my style I guess. Ive got lots of coffee and cookies so I'm ready...Again, thank you so much for the input, its appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cul

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
I also just got zbrush, as I intend to create my own characters from the ground up. After some initial walk-throughs and trying out the program Im confident I can do this...only question I keep asking myself is what the hell took me so long! LOL