Feb 7, 2018
That update on 0.19

''It will be the biggest update so far in Summertime Saga's development, with varied story options, lots of content/new locations and multiple girl pregnancies.''

Why do they have to make every update bigger and bigger... After 3 years each update will take 1 whole year I think. I like Eve, but come on. Also if you have to wait for a long time for a single update focused on 1 character. Make the poll open for like a week, seems fair when they are working on it for like 6 months. What it probably will be.
Same reason farmers are up at the crack of dawn, to get to milking.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

Dogeek

Summertime Saga
Game Developer
Apr 20, 2018
I mean you have so much time before the new art is made. If that is too small of time for changing the code-base, that is just an excuse imo. We keep saying that Erik and Mrs. Johnson will be expanded anyways, yes they will be but what is not allowing you to just transfer the developed route to new code-base.
Pretty sure it is not something new to be done since other routes have been incorporated. Anyways.. one can only wait...
First of, I'm the only coder now that Panda has left the team.

Secondly, I kinda enjoy taking a week off every 4 months. You probably don't know this, but although the workload is quite minimal for me (like I don't work 24/7), I still am available to DC and the others 18 hours a day. Whenever there's something for me to do, it's done in the hour usually.

Thirdly, the erik and mrsj content has an FSM already, but it's not used anywhere yet, for several reasons. a) Why work on something that is going to get reworked eventually, b) if it's done, people won't even care, won't notice at all, and if they do, erik and mrsj won't get voted for, which kinda sucks, and c) it takes a fucking while to implement all that shit, plus, none of the posing docs are left. The only remains is the flowchart which is not even up to date, so I'd have to do it from the content in game.

And lastly, I have more pressing reworks to do, especially regarding the asset organization. It's all a big mess right now, and leads to bugs and errors. Reworking that is much more important for our workflow than save compat which, although asked for, is only secondary to that issue.

And did I mention that I'm all alone on this ? I can't really work 18 hours a day and not burn out in a week.

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
The amount of money he makes is irrelevant. Even if he was making $1,000,000 per month, as long as he is the only person making the art for the game, the development speed will not increase.
Well, as it stands, the art portion of the game is not the bottleneck, but animation and coding are - how else can it be that DC is already working on art for the next update while animation lag behind? So increasing funds in order to hire more staff would technically speed up the process. That is until Art would turn into a bottleneck, because then it's back to the whole artists for hire debate etc. etc...

But in general - just throwing more money at a development team will not increase speed in any realistic proportion: Team members need to be first hired and then (even worse) coordinated in order to achieve anything worthwhile. And if a team bloats too heavily or can't work together, then the speed of each individual will be slowed down drastically to the point that a small team could easily outpace them.

petur

Jul 29, 2017
The problem is not the money he's earning (that's good for him), it's just that the money he makes should allow him to speed up the game development (by hiring more people for example).
The game is being made faster. It simply has gotten more complex and bigger. The problem is with your perception. I remember the time when we had only DC and 1 programmer doing it. There were no fluid animation, there were only a few scenes, there were no votes on content(not that i care about the votes since we still can't vote Judith in since we get outvoted by Eve and Mia fanatics thank god that the Roxxy vote managed to pass). There are so many trolls here with accounts old only a few days.

petur

Jul 29, 2017
DEV TRACKER UPDATE!

Not many more things done, but you can see on the right bar what actually was updated in ~3 days? (All likes are appreciated and motivates me to post more dev trackers)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
See those show 2 and show 3 tasks remaining? Those are tasks waiting for their animations to be done so they can be implemented into the game. Right now the animation has to be done so they can finish coding it into the game and adding text where appropriate. If you look carefully on this list we'll be getting a lot of animations this update and with 18.5 and that is what is slowing it down.

P.S. i always get excited looking at this list. Jenny will be glorious with the redone art and this takes my mind off Judith and her lack of updates. CURSE YOU MIA AND EVE FANATICS!!! MY WAIFU JUDITH DESERVES AN UPDATE!!!Also Banana if you are reading this, don't hate on Judith.

Mr.Qaywesdxc

Aug 5, 2016
See those show 2 and show 3 tasks remaining? Those are tasks waiting for their animations to be done so they can be implemented into the game. Right now the animation has to be done so they can finish coding it into the game and adding text where appropriate. If you look carefully on this list we'll be getting a lot of animations this update and with 18.5 and that is what is slowing it down.

P.S. i always get excited looking at this list. Jenny will be glorious with the redone art and this takes my mind off Judith and her lack of updates. CURSE YOU MIA AND EVE FANATICS!!! MY WAIFU JUDITH DESERVES AN UPDATE!!!Also Banana if you are reading this, don't hate on Judith.
Since I got quoted I will kindly join this discussion. Firstly, someone has to draw the scene to be animated. ;) You can't animate with no pictures.

5 months of making art can't really be compared to couple of days, when the pictures get animated. IMHO not the real bottleneck, which is art (and DC has already hinted many times that he doesn't want anyone else to do the art for him) and almost always was. This talk is pointless, because it won't change anything.

One advice guys from the second oldest member on this forum. Don't take things so seriously .. ;)

Aug 11, 2017
This update better be worth it because this is getting fucking ridiculous. It's been at 95% for over a week now. The update has over 5 months, closing in on 6. If this has as much playable content as the last one, this game is dead.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov
4.20 star(s) 337 Votes