Mr.Qaywesdxc

Aug 5, 2016
This update better be worth it because this is getting fucking ridiculous. It's been at 95% for over a week now. The update has over 5 months, closing in on 6. If this has as much playable content as the last one, this game is dead.
IMHO it will have less because they were talking about some 0.18.5 if I have heard correctly to add some scenes or so ..

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
Well, as it stands, the art portion of the game is not the bottleneck, but animation and coding are - how else can it be that DC is already working on art for the next update while animation lag behind? So increasing funds in order to hire more staff would technically speed up the process. That is until Art would turn into a bottleneck, because then it's back to the whole artists for hire debate etc. etc...

But in general - just throwing more money at a development team will not increase speed in any realistic proportion: Team members need to be first hired and then (even worse) coordinated in order to achieve anything worthwhile. And if a team bloats too heavily or can't work together, then the speed of each individual will be slowed down drastically to the point that a small team could easily outpace them.
No, the art is still the bottleneck, they can't animate and do all the coding and bug testing til the art is done. Just because he finished and started working on the next set doesn't mean the art wasn't the intital hold up.

This update better be worth it because this is getting fucking ridiculous. It's been at 95% for over a week now. The update has over 5 months, closing in on 6. If this has as much playable content as the last one, this game is dead.
Whole lot of hyperbole in that last statement. Even if he took another month to release an update as big as the last one, the game won't be dead. Let's be realistic, he'll have his legion of followers no matter what he does even if some peel away to support other stuff. His discord and nearly daily streams does a good job of keeping most of the paterons in check and preventing all but the loudest of detractors from talking.

Reactions: Sync and kimjongew

kimjongew

Nov 25, 2017
Since I got quoted I will kindly join this discussion. Firstly, someone has to draw the scene to be animated. ;) You can't animate with no pictures.

5 months of making art can't really be compared to couple of days, when the pictures get animated. IMHO not the real bottleneck, which is art (and DC has already hinted many times that he doesn't want anyone else to do the art for him) and almost always was. This talk is pointless, because it won't change anything.

One advice guys from the second oldest member on this forum. Don't take things so seriously .. ;)
Pretty much this. DC has mentioned multiple times that this is partly a love project for him too. Can't remember the exact words, but the gist was that if he went from making the art to managing people who made the art, then he'd essentially burn out and lose interest.

He had also said before that beyond that 30k pledge it wouldn't do anything because he wants to keep a smaller team.

I hadn't realized Dogeek was soloing the coding now, so maybe a replacement for Panda would be a good hire. Ultimately though, if he were to spend any of the extra money, then it should be to improve extraneous content that doesn't interfere or require attention from the current team (pledge rewards or extra game mechanics)

Reactions: Sync

Teiky

Jun 24, 2017
Just to clarify for some, DC said on stream last night that the people who do animation are freelancers, meaning they don't work directly under DC. This explains why animation is a chokehold because they themselves possibly have their own project to get on with.

Anyone else that complains about the 50 grand also doesn't take in the fact that it is split among his team so that's roughly 7.5 grand a month, if split evenly, and if you still complain that it's still a lot of money, clearly you forgot about bills and other budgets and that's on top of the fact that DC also have a family to take care of so many other bills and budget is sometimes double or triple even.

SO if it was you guys, how would you budget this? like, break down the math for me too while you're at it. Make sure you also find someone that is good at animation and is willing to work with the budget you, hypothetically, will give them. PLEASE DO THIS if you're not so busy whining and complaining without actually contributing to the project.

Reactions: Sync

Automata

Apr 10, 2017
Just to clarify for some, DC said on stream last night that the people who do animation are freelancers, meaning they don't work directly under DC. This explains why animation is a chokehold because they themselves possibly have their own project to get on with.
That means we have two points of potential bottle necking instead of one.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

petur

Jul 29, 2017
Since I got quoted I will kindly join this discussion. Firstly, someone has to draw the scene to be animated. ;) You can't animate with no pictures.
I think that you are confused. We have the last two animations of 18.0 being worked on with more animations coming after them. The update is not out yet but it will have at least 7 animations if i understand the task bar correctly, so 5 animations have been done already. Look at what you are posting.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
I too would love a bunch of wankers paying my mortgage...
Well, that's how it is for every popular actor/musician/writer/artist/etc. - they deliver something and people decide if they want to pay for it or not. One mustn't forget that he's reaching hundreds of thousands of players by now and as long as a small percentage of them contribute, it'll be fine.

seraphimd2

Jun 18, 2017
See those show 2 and show 3 tasks remaining? Those are tasks waiting for their animations to be done so they can be implemented into the game. Right now the animation has to be done so they can finish coding it into the game and adding text where appropriate. If you look carefully on this list we'll be getting a lot of animations this update and with 18.5 and that is what is slowing it down.

P.S. i always get excited looking at this list. Jenny will be glorious with the redone art and this takes my mind off Judith and her lack of updates. CURSE YOU MIA AND EVE FANATICS!!! MY WAIFU JUDITH DESERVES AN UPDATE!!!Also Banana if you are reading this, don't hate on Judith.
Lets spread the word,Judith needs to be loved too

fenixblack

Oct 22, 2017
Just imagine this (same goes with other "big" devs lately): You're making a shitload of money with your game on patreon and you worked relatively hard for this. Now you find out that if you work slightly less you STILL make a shitload of money every month and even gain patrons, as long as there is some output. After a few months you found a sweet spot where you work even less, but the cash is still flowing like crazy. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

EarthShaker

Jun 9, 2018
Hey guys, can someone help me please with this error? I am stuck here and I don't know what to do...

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/helen_s_bedroom.rpy", line 23, in <module>
  File "game/scripts/core/systems/game.rpy", line 304, in main
  File "game/scripts/core/systems/locations.rpy", line 148, in call_screen
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/screens.rpy", line 1, in execute
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/screens.rpy", line 1, in execute
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/screens.rpy", line 16, in execute
  File "game/scripts/core/systems/locations.rpy", line 325, in is_here
  File "game/scripts/core/systems/state_machine.rpy", line 771, in where
KeyError: u'mia'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/bedroom/dialogue.rpyc", line 1840, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/bedroom/bedroom.rpyc", line 87, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/hallway.rpyc", line 72, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/helen_s_bedroom.rpyc", line 23, in script
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/helen_s_bedroom.rpy", line 23, in <module>
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2710, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2649, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3033, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 511, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 511, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 424, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3033, in <lambda>
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 434, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 619, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/screens.rpy", line 16, in execute
  File "<screen language>", line 16, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
SummertimeSaga 0.17.5
Fri Apr 19 01:02:40 2019

petur

Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys, can someone help me please with this error? I am stuck here and I don't know what to do...

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/bedroom/dialogue.rpyc", line 1840, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/bedroom/bedroom.rpyc", line 87, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/home/entrance/hallway/hallway.rpyc", line 72, in script call
  File "scripts/locations/mia_s_house/mia_s_entrance/mia_s_upstairs/helen_s_bedroom/helen_s_bedroom.rpyc", line 23, in script
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2710, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2649, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3033, in interact_core
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 424, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3033, in <lambda>
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 434, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "X:\Descarcari\SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 619, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "<screen language>", line 16, in <module>

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
SummertimeSaga 0.17.5
Fri Apr 19 01:02:40 2019
Have you tried doing a clean reinstall and starting a fresh no cheats game? You can also use the save file that is on the summertime saga site if you want to play only the latest content without having to replay the rest of the game.

obibobi

May 10, 2017
He should hold the update off until December. That'll teach those that complain and those that are understanding will be in full support of this idea.

petur

Jul 29, 2017
He should hold the update off until December. That'll teach those that complain and those that are understanding will be in full support of this idea.
I was in stream tonight and he said that they are waiting for the last animation, SOON(tm) is imminent. Next week is fap week in my books :D

seraphimd2

Jun 18, 2017
I was in stream tonight and he said that they are waiting for the last animation, SOON(tm) is imminent. Next week is fap week in my books :D
well,better unload before the people that jumped too soon on the hype train start another shitstorm...its nice to see you are optimistic,but its sad at the same time...as for me,well,my hildryn will be ready tomorrow,so i will probably spend the this weekend and the next one marathoning warframe,so yeah,see you guys at the release when i will see the shit getting real about people complaining...

Reactions: TheDevian
4.20 star(s) 337 Votes