AnonUser9944

Mar 11, 2019
just registered in order to say that i like the game. havent played one that comes close to summertime saga in terms of art style and i doubt there are even games out there that match it. keep up the great work. :)

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
I wrote MelkorMancin if he will accept to work for DarkCookie in Summertime Saga.
Let's hope he sympathizes with that idea.
Isn't the guy way too busy with his own patreon comics and so on?
I doubt his fans would appreciate taking even longer for him to draw stuff because he was working on a game.
Also he'd have to replicate DC's art which is another hurdle because drawing everything from scratch again would take even longer.

Furyan

Nov 16, 2017
So I've played the game but the walkthroughs that I've got don't mention about Daisy and how to fuck Crystal, other than that I've completed all of other quests and caracters, so if someone cand link a page or an walkthrough in this thread, that I've already searched offcourse, I would be very gratefull!

Somnus

Oct 12, 2017
So I've played the game but the walkthroughs that I've got don't mention about Daisy and how to fuck Crystal, other than that I've completed all of other quests and caracters, so if someone cand link a page or an walkthrough in this thread, that I've already searched offcourse, I would be very gratefull!

DatBoit

Dec 2, 2018
I saw discussion earlier about the release frequency of the game, and wanted to add my two cents. In my opinion, taking over 3-4 months to release what is the most supported and popular game out there, is unacceptable. Isn't the entire idea with getting a lot of pledges to expand production to drastically increase efficiency and quality?

I get that DC might draw everything by hand and that they want to put out a higher quality at a slower pace rather than lower quality at higher pace. But, come on, they're making almost $50K! I know nothing about game development, but there shold be at least some way that this translates into more frequent releases.

With the amount of resources this team has, there is no reason for why the game shouldn't be able to get released monthly. I mean, is there seriously no competent artist out there capable of mimicing the art work in Summertime Saga and help DC with that aspect? Why can a dedicated coder or writer not be finished within a month when other developers who work entirely by themselves manage to do so?

Probably, I'll get backlash for this comment, but it's my opinion and I stand by it. It's inexcusable to have it take up towards a third of a year to release a game that is supported as heavly as this one is.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
@DatBoit:

The problem is that there's freuqency and quality. There are people who care primarily about frequency and tend to ignore everything else. This game had 40 to 60 day releases at first and back then we had stories which made less sense and were rushed, worse art, worse animations and pretty bad quest design, etc. Sure, he could turn back to monthly releases but would that change anything? The updates would be way shorter (again), quality would drop (again), people who want fast updates would likely be happier while others wouldn't.

At least to me the number of releases doesn't matter that much, as long as the content of the update reflects the time that has passed. Sure, if he'd release a 4 months update with content that should be done in 1 month, it would be different.

If you've read some posts back you'll see that it's all about finding another artist and as long as that's not the case, the amount of content DC can draw per week/month/year won't change and that's the amount of content we'll get (split into X number of updates). No matter if people pledge 20k, 30k oder 50k. If someone still pledges money to DC hoping the game will be released faster, he should probably stop. It's clear for more than a year now that more money won't help.

Edit: So yes, it's the idea to get more money to get the game going but it's clear as well, that there are limits, depending on the project. Right now the team is more or less fitting for DC's speed and there's little need to hire more coders, writers, etc. just so they sit around most of the time watiting for DC to finish drawing. Just relax, he's working and releases will come. I've personally decided "years" ago that I'll give DC ~25 bucks a year and that's fine for me. The game is free after all, nobody is forced to pledge to play it.

CptRexx

Jun 17, 2018
I saw discussion earlier about the release frequency of the game, and wanted to add my two cents. In my opinion, taking over 3-4 months to release what is the most supported and popular game out there, is unacceptable. Isn't the entire idea with getting a lot of pledges to expand production to drastically increase efficiency and quality?

I get that DC might draw everything by hand and that they want to put out a higher quality at a slower pace rather than lower quality at higher pace. But, come on, they're making almost $50K! I know nothing about game development, but there shold be at least some way that this translates into more frequent releases.

With the amount of resources this team has, there is no reason for why the game shouldn't be able to get released monthly. I mean, is there seriously no competent artist out there capable of mimicing the art work in Summertime Saga and help DC with that aspect? Why can a dedicated coder or writer not be finished within a month when other developers who work entirely by themselves manage to do so?

Probably, I'll get backlash for this comment, but it's my opinion and I stand by it. It's inexcusable to have it take up towards a third of a year to release a game that is supported as heavly as this one is.
Nobody is being forced by some source to pay DC. Everybody is saying he (they) earns 50k (or almost) dollars but nobody is judging the people who like to support him and appreciate his work. If people want to pay him, you cannot stop that. It's just how it is.

DatBoit

Dec 2, 2018
Nobody is being forced by some source to pay DC. Everybody is saying he (they) earns 50k (or almost) dollars but nobody is judging the people who like to support him and appreciate his work. If people want to pay him, you cannot stop that. It's just how it is.
I don't want to stop anyone from supporting game developers they like. I support several myself, but for that I also expect something in return. It's not just a charitable donation as a nice gesture, it's an investment to get access to the game and help improve development.

Summertime Saga is a great game, so I understand why people want to support it. But that doesn't mean I don't think the money can be capitalized better than it is now.

DatBoit

Dec 2, 2018
@DatBoit:

The problem is that there's freuqency and quality. There are people who care primarily about frequency and tend to ignore everything else. This game had 40 to 60 day releases at first and back then we had stories which made less sense and were rushed, worse art, worse animations and pretty bad quest design, etc. Sure, he could turn back to monthly releases but would that change anything? The updates would be way shorter (again), quality would drop (again), people who want fast updates would likely be happier while others wouldn't.

At least to me the number of releases doesn't matter that much, as long as the content of the update reflects the time that has passed. Sure, if he'd release a 4 months update with content that should be done in 1 month, it would be different.

If you've read some posts back you'll see that it's all about finding another artist and as long as that's not the case, the amount of content DC can draw per week/month/year won't change and that's the amount of content we'll get (split into X number of updates). No matter if people pledge 20k, 30k oder 50k. If someone still pledges money to DC hoping the game will be released faster, he should probably stop. It's clear for more than a year now that more money won't help.

Edit: So yes, it's the idea to get more money to get the game going but it's clear as well, that there are limits, depending on the project. Right now the team is more or less fitting for DC's speed and there's little need to hire more coders, writers, etc. just so they sit around most of the time watiting for DC to finish drawing. Just relax, he's working and releases will come. I've personally decided "years" ago that I'll give DC ~25 bucks a year and that's fine for me. The game is free after all, nobody is forced to pledge to play it.
I don't think frequency and quality are mutually exclusive, especially not when you have a substantial amount of resources. I just think it's disheartening to wait 3-4 months for an update, even if the content is representative of that much time's work.

I get that there are limitations when you draw by hand. It should therefore be made considerable priority to hire another artist. With the amount of money the team has at their disposal, this really shouldn't be that difficult.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
@DatBoit:
Well, that's kind of the problem. Just because people give more (without being asked, there are no further goals on patreon) doesn't mean that the other party (DC) has to give or do more as well, no matter how. More money doesn't equal more output at some level. Your favourite band/singer won't suddenly release 5 LPs a year just because he/she made 25 instead of 5 million from the last LP - they'll still release one, no matter the money.

I can personally understand that DC just doesn't want to take "an artists" but is looking for someone he really wants to work with and who fit's 100%. And if he doesn't find that someone, he'll continue working alone. That's the current deal and those who don't like it will have to see how they deal with it. If you really want to call it investment (and I think that's the wrong term, in the end it's just fans giving money) that is the base on which you are investing.

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys. Im playing on a mac and want to install the 'save except Diane's story, where do i place the save file? I've been using quite a while trying to figure it out. Help is appreciated!

petur

Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys. Im playing on a mac and want to install the 'save except Diane's story, where do i place the save file? I've been using quite a while trying to figure it out. Help is appreciated!
Look for a RenPy folder. As far as i know at least on windows games made on the RenPy engine create this folder and store their save files there. MAC OS has a search function right? There also should be a saves folder in the game folder SummertimeSaga-0-17-5-MAC\game\saves . Also start the game and CREATE A SAVE(so the folder is created by the game in the first place if this is your first RenPy game).

And if possible in the future phase out of MAC and Apple products in general... Get a PC, get an android phone.

DatBoit

Dec 2, 2018
@DatBoit:
Well, that's kind of the problem. Just because people give more (without being asked, there are no further goals on patreon) doesn't mean that the other party (DC) has to give or do more as well, no matter how. More money doesn't equal more output at some level. Your favourite band/singer won't suddenly release 5 LPs a year just because he/she made 25 instead of 5 million from the last LP - they'll still release one, no matter the money.

I can personally understand that DC just doesn't want to take "an artists" but is looking for someone he really wants to work with and who fit's 100%. And if he doesn't find that someone, he'll continue working alone. That's the current deal and those who don't like it will have to see how they deal with it. If you really want to call it investment (and I think that's the wrong term, in the end it's just fans giving money) that is the base on which you are investing.
Your band/singer analogy has a point, but I think we differ in our mindsets towards why you support someone on Patreon. I expect something in return for my pledge, whereas you seem to argue that it is only a goodwill donation to give something back for their effort. If you have that perspective, then yes, more money won't equal more content. My perspective will, though.

I argue that a Patreon pledge is much more of a direct transaction with two clear obligations towards each other. Your band analogy is a little lacking in the sense that buying someone's LP can mean many things; collecting, preferring to listen to it in a certain way, dedicated fandom etcetera. It is easier for such content creator to argue that people don't buy it specifically to encourge them producing more. While other purchase motives exist on Patreon as well, it is much more of a "I give you money so you can produce this game", i.e. demanding something in return for their money. You don't have to agree, but you have to understand that someone with my viewpoint will reason the way they do.

DC should of course not hire someone who he can't work with, but if it gets to a point where person after person after person is rejected or no one is deemed suitable, maybe he should take a look in the mirror first.

Reactions: BoykaBoykov

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Your band/singer analogy has a point, but I think we differ in our mindsets towards why you support someone on Patreon. I expect something in return for my pledge, whereas you seem to argue that it is only a goodwill donation to give something back for their effort. If you have that perspective, then yes, more money won't equal more content. My perspective will, though.

I argue that a Patreon pledge is much more of a direct transaction with two clear obligations towards each other. Your band analogy is a little lacking in the sense that buying someone's LP can mean many things; collecting, preferring to listen to it in a certain way, dedicated fandom etcetera. It is easier for such content creator to argue that people don't buy it specifically to encourge them producing more. While other purchase motives exist on Patreon as well, it is much more of a "I give you money so you can produce this game", i.e. demanding something in return for their money. You don't have to agree, but you have to understand that someone with my viewpoint will reason the way they do.
I'd simply argue that on a case-by-case basis. If a dev promises early acces for a comparatively high sum of money and basically "sells" the game on patreon, as most devs do, my expectation is different compared to a dev, who releases the game for free and and where pledging is optional, as in this case. In the first case I've basically purchased something and want the reward which I was promised, while in the second case it's not much more than a tip, including some rewards which aren't related to the game, in this case.

And yes, I fully understand that other viewpoint and a certain frustration, but I'd still suggest to relax if that increase in speed doesn't happen. In that case the best reaction is likely to pull the pledge or to pledge as much as one thinks the game is worth and enjoy it for free until one thinks it's worth giving something again.

Quinsy87

Jul 19, 2017
Just downloaded 17.5 and I'm looking for the full incest patch (link on main only brings to 16.1) and a scrollback mod ( link on main doesn't bring me to the post as it claims)

Anyone help a pal out? :D

Reactions: Sheknowsaboutyou
4.20 star(s) 337 Votes