j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
There's probably more, but that's MY experience talking. I've fapped to a lot more than this and overall, any game that gets completed (HELLLLOOOOOOO Lab Rats) garners more favorability because you've done what few others really have in regards to this new market.
Though that really depends wether the dev actually completed the game in a good way. While Lab rats is really positive case of a grown game that was meant to be finished, I'm for example still disappointed that "Blooming love" basically ended when you had the feeling that the main story was just supposed to start. So it's really important to not end games just to have some kind of ending but to end them when it makes sense. That's why I don't really understand that so many people want DC to finish SS, while there's just so much left which has to be in the game for it to be somewhat complete.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Hi,

I just updated the to version 0.18.6-2.4 with some smaller fixes/features.

Note: if you installed the MeaningfulStats.rpy mod I posted some time ago, delete it (and the MeaningfulStats.rpyc file as well) from the game\scripts folder. This mod is now included. You will get problems if that file is still present.

Enjoy!

Edit: fixed small bug -- Version 0.18.6-2.4b

Last edited:

Fullcrum

Apr 10, 2018
I'm fairly certain we'll see a smooth transition. At some point SS will be close to what DC considers finished, we'll probably see an announcement and a date. Then the patreonpage will change to the new game, SS will be taken off patreon and hopefully get that last "incest update" which DC promised and then work will continue on that new project.

Until now SS is successfull because it's unique, it's good quality, it's pretty much timeless and because DC delivers on a constant level. I don't see why DC's next game shouldn't do "well", too.
It mainly depends on whether customers / patrons will be satisfied with what the finished product looks like.

Players like different things and satisfying many of them can be too difficult a challenge. Why?
Because the SS already has a large base at the moment. Many NPCs and many women to get. Hence, many stories to tell.
In order to tell the whole story well and that the whole thing is consistent and does not contain logical holes, you still have to introduce many new NPCs which again increases the story.
Many players with such a large base think that they will find what they like best. There is a good chance that many will fail.
At the moment, one can only say that the SS has a very big potential to be a very good game ... but at this pace of development it will either not use this potential or it will be developed over the years.

And such a long development threatens to bored players and the departure of patrons or burnout of someone from the team creating the game.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
@Fullcrum:

Sure, the game is huge but it's not like there's no end in sight. More or less finishing Diane's and Jenny's story felt like a substancial step to get the "family business" done and once the main story got the update that feeling will set in quite a bit more. I mean, it's not like DC is adding any major characters. Those who are added have those minor roles and maybe a sex scene or two at best.

Else I'd say that financial numbers are relative to a degree. Unless he's extremely lucky the numbers will drop at some point but I'm fairly certain that right now there's a substancial financial headroom, so it's not like falling below let's say 30k or 25k should influence the game that much.

In the end it's true that many smaller games are beneficial to a degree but few manage find a good compromise between quality, depth and length. Right now SS feels like a "real game" which really has the potential to suck players in due the way it's made and presented. Sure, the updates take quite a bit longer but in return they are so much better compared to what we got during the first year of development. Right now most people seem to value and reward that change in quality.

But sure, nobody knows how things will continue, which is why I hope that DC's continues to work at his speed and does what he feels is needed to keep the ship moving (like taking holidays from time to time, etc.).

Deleted member 205331

Sep 15, 2017
Not OP, but I code Summertime Saga. You have no idea how much work it would be on sploosh's, catbug's, and my part to implement all the little interactions that could and should happen between the different characters. We do add little changes to dialogues here and there, but we can't do everything for each update, they take long enough as it is, and we want to release fairly regularly.

All those minor additions will be done as part of the beta for Summertime Saga, it's just polish, and as long as all the stories are not wrapped up and final, we could make polish additions that would end up being scrapped in a later update, we don't fancy working for nothing, you see.
Like I said, it is in the quote as well, I am not disputing that there is a lot of work, I 100% certain you guys are backed up with work loads. I do respect that and thanks for clarifying and updating us here on some insights of the teams's work process.

Fullcrum

Apr 10, 2018
j4yj4m:

Whether someone sees the end or does not depend on expectations about content.

For example, I am interested in history and what are my options in the game as a player. And I do not see any chance that at the present pace of DC's development, it will even come close to what I expect from the SS.
Besides, I always looked at the so-called big picture. And here the SS is not defending, at least not for this moment.

Too many things need an explanation to make the whole story have some sense. Some players are completely uninterested in this, but for me the story is essential.
It will decide if for me the game will be very good or even outstanding for a product of a small amateur studio or just not bad.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
@Fullcrum:

Well, one should have realistic expectations. After all it's a high paced, light hearted, high spirited (and at times a little absurd) game, so we won't go balls deep into really long dialogs, drama, murder and worse. I guess it's realistic to expect a story about similar as Roxxy's for each schoolgirl, a more or less conclusive main story and a nice prom, maybe a harem feature and a lot of fun around all those things. I mean, it's perfectly possible that it won't meet what you'd expect from a game but then again most games likely won't (except maybe some real VNs).

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Has anybody considered the possibility that the main story qualifies for a phantastic cliffhanger to SS 2?

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Has anybody considered the possibility that the main story qualifies for a phantastic cliffhanger to SS 2?
Probably not. As far as I'm aware DC said that his next game will have nothing to do with SS and nobody knows if "SS2" will ever happen.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Well from the patreon page:
DarkCookie [...] plans on doing a lotwith this game by continuing to add quality content and expand the universe (potential story expansions) over time so he's in this for the long run!
I don't know what he said recently, but this is what he said from the beginning.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Well from the patreon page:

I don't know what he said recently, but this is what he said from the beginning.
Hm, I always understood it as expanding the story within the game, which is basically what happens every update. After all the text hasn't changed for years by now and we got quite a few new characters, monster girls, etc.

On stream he sad quite a few times that he's got more games in mind and that the next one won't be "Wintertime Saga" or something similar. Of course we'll know, once it happens. Though I'd personally guess that most people would be happy to get a new concept etc. once the game is actually done. It'll likely have been half a decade or more by then.

Last edited:

TungstenDuck

May 6, 2018
Ok, flame me but this thread is 1750+ pages. Is incest a big/central theme in this game or sort of a side/afterthought? I love me some quality incest games.

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
Ok, flame me but this thread is 1750+ pages. Is incest a big/central theme in this game or sort of a side/afterthought? I love me some quality incest games.
It's implied but not overt unless you use the incest patch, and even then it's only three of the dozen or so characters. So in either case I'd say no, not a central theme, but certainly present.

Reactions: TungstenDuck

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Well, you've technically got a mother, sister and aunt, including a threesome between mother and aunt. But as mentioned, there's no focus on incest and since the incest isn't official at the moment, there are no story elements/taboos which revolve around all the stuff that's actually connected it. So by that standard, the incest is pretty bad.

Reactions: TungstenDuck

TungstenDuck

May 6, 2018
Well, you've technically got a mother, sister and aunt, including a threesome between mother and aunt. But as mentioned, there's no focus on incest and since the incest isn't official at the moment, there are no story elements/taboos which revolve around all the stuff that's actually connected it. So by that standard, the incest is pretty bad.
Ah. Thanks. I may still check it out given its reputation. Vanilla stuff doesn't really get me anywhere usually though.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Ah. Thanks. I may still check it out given its reputation. Vanilla stuff doesn't really get me anywhere usually though.
Yeah, I mean, it's obviously a good game, but indeed quite vanilla on almost every level. It touches quite a few fetishes, but doesn't really take them that far.

4.20 star(s) 337 Votes