VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Sunshine Love [Ch. 3 v1.01i Extras] [MrDots Games]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Scarlett's nightmare

Well, what is there to say? Objectively it is a decent game, I think. If you have played the other games, you know exactly what to expect. It's basically the same game with the same dynamics in a new setting.

And this is where it really starts to rub me the wrong way. The characterization and tone of MrDots Games are recognizable and very... unchanging. All the characters are basically interchangeable between all games. There's basically no difference outside the model.

Added to that, they all share the same somewhat preachy, patronizing tone in the writing, which is really not helping. The sister is starting to become insufferable due to that. It's becoming clear that there's really only one voice shared among them and it is the writer's own.

Also, as mentioned in other reviews, this game is wordy. But for its own sake. The development of the scenes is glacial. There's heaps and heaps of meaningless small talk, which I guess is meant to develop the characters (which in turn fails since they are all so similar anyway).

It's still not a bad game, but having played the others, the concept and writing behind it is starting to show the cracks in the facade.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

turgsh01

I feel like this game will be under development for at least another year (longer if there's delays) given that there's currently 2 out of 12 weeks of in-game content to be expected according to the story (max 1 out of 5 stars in hotel rating so far). Also, currently none of the relationship points matter right now, but a lot of decisions do actually impact future scenes.

I had more than 20+ hours of gameplay and only now the game is starting to offer some real intimacy between other characters. Would have been nice if there was an official head's up about this game having an insanely long grind before seeing any real intimate sexual content. I read the reviews about the story being boring or slow or even bad, though I think that was exaggerated because I've seen a lot of far worse stories and would just consider this one to be mediocre only because it drags out for far too long with several repeated scenes and reflections (otherwise it'd be really good despite the anomalies mentioned in other reviews), but I read nothing about the game lacking in intimate sexual content. Peeping Tom feature and sexy dreams shouldn't really count for much other than a nice bonus.

I feel like the entire intro of the game could easily be removed without impacting the story at all because every important scene in the intro gets repeated later in the game anyway, so there's no point at all in keeping it. Or at least have it as optional. Several other scenes could also have been removed or shortened as well to eliminate some of the slow story progression.

I do like the occasional references to the other games this developer has made though. I thought that was neat, as though it's the same game world merging together to some degree. Didn't particularly like seeing the blatantly recycled and even mentioned Dee / Kristina character as it's a bit immersion breaking. Would have been better to just not mention and not show the other Dee character in the game, or at least have some minor differences in appearance. Was happy to see Georgina, Xianne and Sophia's cameo appearances though as they're the actual characters from the other game.

Renders and animations are really nice as to be expected from this dev (MrDots Games). Although, the zoom-in on MC's butt isn't exactly appreciated. Sounds are at least present and appreciated for a lot of scenes. Music is nice if you're not playing the game, but not even remotely appropriate when playing the game. There should never be music lyrics in a visual novel type of game as it only serves to distract you from being able to read and follow what's going on. And techno / dance style of music for a slow drama VN game... really? There is also occasional background music completely unrelated to the inappropriate music playlist, and this occasional music is the right kind of music for the scenes and you will hear them as long as the sound is enabled (music can be completely disabled and it won't affect it)

Both 40 something year old women look the exact same age as the 20 something year old women, and the 18 year olds look like lolis. I don't know why the dev did it this way as it feels like there's only 2 age groups available. Given how many romance options are assuming to be available at some point in the future, I don't know why the dev would take away the milf age group. Obviously, no one wants a granny looking woman, but there's nothing wrong with a middle age looking woman as an option.

Large breasted women dominate the game, but there's at least a few options for small chested... lolis. I guess average isn't an option in this game.

In terms of bugs, there was one spot that consistently crashed if I tried to race through it but worked fine if I clicked through it manually. Other than that, seems stable. Grammar / spelling is pretty good, but not perfect (I imagine someone is proof reading most of it).

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the game so far as of v0.0.4i. Will likely continue playing as the updates roll out since I've already gotten through the massive grind, the rest should hopefully be fun content.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

mostlylurk

Okey, so finding this game was from the maker of Melody gave my high hopes. The renders are fo course beautiful but I'm going through the prologue writing this and the only thing I can think of is a)does the writer/maker has any idea how people act in the real world? b) If this is supposed to tell a coherent story instead of a fuckfest (as pointed by the amount of text) why nothing makes any sense

a) inviting someone to live with you after meeting them for 5 minutes based on crossing eyes on a stripclub is absolutely nuts and the biggest redflag in the story of relationships. What the fuck (somehow the relationship survives 5 years tho)
    b)Ashley acting like a stepmother after one day being there, wtf
    c) girl (9) tries to kiss the boy (11) and he doesn't want, and everyone laughs, and she's worryingly clingy haha i guess? And 5 years later, when the girl is 14 and the boy 16, so, you know, old enough that they're supposed to have a basic idea of being a functional human being, the girl is still trying to kiss the boy against his will "hi hi hi" and the boy ends up kissing her "telling you how I really feel" in a mix of highschool romance, primary school awareness of social clues and children behavior. Just all around weird
    d) And 9 years later, of no contact, like a fucking psycho, the girl drags the MC under false pretense to try and help her bussiness. She knows the MC just lost his job, she knows he needs to pay hsi part of the mortgage and she still lies to him about good pay and little work to make him take a trip to try and save her falling bussiness. And suddenly when the MC gets obviously mad about it now she is "oh, i actually have some contacts i could call" and they have to tell her that serving microwaved frozen food is bad for an hotel and then plan to get a guy with no kitchen experience be the cook
    e) Did i also mentioned that this falling hotel thats the premise of the setting only caters to women?

But the problem with all this is the that this game is increadible text-heavy with a lot of filler information and small-talk dialogue that highlights this problems. Text-heavy is good if you manage to make the readers deeply inmersed in the story/world, small talk is great to flesh out believable characters

But when the story and the world makes no sense, filler information only gives you more time to see this fallings, and when characters make no sense the less you care about the character as you've broken suspension of disbelief

Also, choices are weird. If you compliment someone and then act "yeah, it's the truth" is neutral, but if you compliment and try to backtrack (try, because you don't get two words out) its a +1. Also you get points for doing or not doing things the character doesn't know about?

Renders are really nice tho?
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Kayzee12

AW SHIT ! here we go again.. Another Mr.Dots game

Having played DMD & Melody , I had high hopes diving into this game. I am happy to say that this game is absolutely amazing. The game is a perfect recipe of various elements put together graciously by Mr.Dots. While the story isn't that amazing, it is easily hidden by the other aspects of the game which more than make up for its very few downfalls. That being said , time to give individual ratings

Renders : ( score 5/5 ) Absolutely amazing renders.. The warm tropical sunshine theme really suits the game and gives a holidayesque feeling.

Animations: ( score 4/5) as expected.

Story : ( score 3/5 ) not that amazing , but not boring either. Just a casual story good enough to keep you engrossed. While some others feel the story is too slow, I say the pace is perfect.. Rushing into sex will be an injustice to such amazing characters..

Characters : ( Score 5/5 ) This is where the game won it for me. Absolutely gorgeous looking characters. The diversity in characters is superb. A hot stepmom, a cougar Aunt, A not so saint stepsis, a shy introverted cousin, and all the other side characters which need no introduction.

Overall game score : 4.5 stars
  5. 5.00 star(s)

.N9

When i see Mr Dots making another VN, i knew i have to try it. Love the dev other projects, so i have a high expectation for this one.

Pros :
    • It's Mr Dots VN and i expect lovely and pretty girls, and i am not disappointed. Especially Victoria :love:
    • The story is decent so far, some players may find the story is slow but i don't mind it. I could understand the situation and everything so no complain from me
    • The background is great, beautiful scenery and really goes well with the story
    • The scenes are smooth and as great as what i expected from Mr Dots
    As v0.0.4i Goes, my experience was great and i had a blast playing it.

Not a single complain from me, keep it up!

HAVE TO TRY AND GIVE THIS ONE A RIDE!
  6. 3.00 star(s)

hayrullahdelisi

On the paper everything seems to fit a perfect VN.Renders are looking lit,characters’ appereances and personalities are different from each other,story is kinda unique and the game engine works fine.However at the end the game is boring.And i am saying that as a guy who gives a value to the story itself more than the sex content.

I think the main issue is the dialoge.Dev is trying to fill dialoges with unnecessary amount of details to longen the playtime.Reading legal papers of the hotel would be pain even in the real life let alone in a game.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Al0bundy

Excellent Game !
    Georgous models, good Choice, massive update.
    One of the best game in this type of game, simple efficiency, really pleasure.
    Never see a bug into this game
    Simply quality
    MrDots Thank You Guy
  8. J
    5.00 star(s)

Jackerz

Renders, animations, and the girls are so much better than two of this dev previous games. The story and characters are realistic, no huge boobs or dick, no ntr, I loved it so much.

This is a slow burn story, and a bit too detailed dialog, but it's not surprising because it is the same style of writing in all of this dev games. So it's not for an impatient person, but it's so well worth it in the end for a high quality game.
  9. 4.00 star(s)

sally122

As of 0.0.4

The only reason I'm giving this game 4 stars, is because I don't believe in giving a full 5 stars before seeing the finished product. Because it could still get better, we just have to wait and see how development goes.

But once again, Mr. Dots has put out a game that I am thoroughly enjoying. In fact it's probably the one I've enjoyed most, in comparison with DMD and Melody.

The story is a bit convoluted off the bat with why the MC goes to Sunshine Bay, some more apparent problems with the girlfriend, Nicole, would help a lot. But that it rectified with the eventual choice of if you want to break up with her, or have an open relationship.

I also feel like there's some realism in the tensions between characters, and reasoning for why they act certain ways. No one is portrayed as perfect, which makes everything feel more real. There's room for characters and relationships to grow, because the characters are on much more equal footing, and therefore the power to acknowledge and work on issues or falsehoods feels much more impactful.

To me, there's a good sense of what characters you'll be able to pursue casually, or to try and have a deeper romance with early on, which helps with decision making. While the point system has yet to really come into play, I don't feel as bad sacrificing points with some characters, if it seems to be a more casual thing.

It is very story heavy early on, which is not out of the ordinary for Mr. Dots, as his other games took a while to get to the action, so if you want that action, I would recommend waiting for a couple more updates. There are a couple scenes, but they're mainly all dream/fantasy. Which isn't inherently bad, just not the main attraction obviously.

Ultimately, so far it's another solid game from Mr. Dots. Things can obviously change, but I think it's a safe bet that by the time this is finished, it will be another enjoyable and satisfying game. Just gotta give it time.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

Addrinvan

The renders are stunning and the character designs are for the most part incredible.

The main problem I have with this game is pacing. It is so incredibly slow and most of the character interactions are tedious at best. I had to stop myself constantly from just holding down the skip key. There are times when interesting things happen, but I would say that a majority of the time there is just nothing to keep you reading or to keep the suspense.

3 stars for the incredible renders, but that is being generous. If it weren't for the quality of the renders this would probably be a 1 star game at best in my opinion.

It's kind of like a slice of life anime... some people love those. Some people, like me, hate them.
  11. 4.00 star(s)

Diconica

I'm giving this a 4 because I can't give 3.5 stars.

The Art work is 3DCG done better than most and fits quite well to the story.

The plot and story itself are fine. There isn't huge contradictions of character types vs actions or stuff to that effect.

That isn't to say there aren't issues though. Most the issues revolve around dialog. It's pretty clear the person writing this isn't a native English speaker. I won't count off for that in itself.

There are a lot of words used that normally wouldn't be used because the person is trying to be to wordy so it looses the feel of natural language. Take for example. "Eventuated" no one speaking English uses that term in a general conversation. We use terms like it didn't happen, didn't occur, ...
    Then there are other phrases that are miss used or words substituted that shouldn't be. So you'll see spots where common phrases and idioms have been changed and that is off putting to a native English speaker. I can't say why this was done was it because of the lack of recognition of those phrases or was it just the author trying to do something else.

The author does a number of things correctly such as not over using stupid methods to try and push a plot along. I can't remember anything to the effect of, "But I have no choice." There might be but it isn't that plain and it probably has to do with the MC agreeing to go along with what his GF says he left back in the other town. There also isn't to many of the stupid buttons to go on just for the sake of putting a button there.
    You also don't have any false choices that I can remember. Yes, I did explore each option that was through the content just to see what was there.

My personal view
    The plot and story are entertaining to say the least. I can't wait to see more of it.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

alexandertetzlav

This Game has the absolute best, interesing and well placed Prologue i've ever seen on a Game linked on this Site!!! (And i played a damn lot! ;)
    There are absolutely no Choices, and only a bit of sexual Content later on in the Prologue, but it is really worth reading, to get the Background for the Characters! Also it has a lot of Renders for the Prologue so it is absolutely not getting boring! You can totally play this Game by skipping the Prologue, but you will really miss a well designed and interesting part of the Story!
    This alone is such high Quality, that the Game is absolutely worth playing it! After the Prolouge, the Story with the Decisions is getting even better!

Pro:
    1. Good English, only some casual spelling issues, but nothing that makes it hard to understand or read.
    2. Really interesting Prologue!
    3. Good Renders. Not the absolute top, but still really good.
    4. If you like Story based Games, this is one really good for you! ;) This is absolutely no "click and fuck" game.
    5. There are no "Hey, im Ashley, let's Fuck" moments. You have to build up Relationships, talk to Charakters, etc. depending on your decisions.

Con:
    1. The Text is sometimes really hard to read, especially on bright Backgrounds, even with the "3D-Shadow" on the Text. There definately needs to be some kind of dark Background on the Text.
    2. There are a view things lacking in the Story, but nothing too bad
    Bugs:
    Nothing i found yet.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

BigDdave1999

Brilliant, simply brilliant. Mr Dots is a master at his craft. The models and renders are fantastic and plenty of choices that make sense. AND not one shopping trip, yoga, fashion shoot in sight. I love how the world connects with other titles Mr Dots has done, however one slight problem with that is my main character is always called Dave. So there might be a lot of Dave's in this universe that has a harem.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Minotaur1971

Very good game. Girls are beautiful and dialogue is mostly good. It's obvious that the author has never actually served in the military but it's not too bad after the corrected the first draft. I look forward to the next installment of this and your other game.
  15. 4.00 star(s)

andyboj

When this game came out MrDots promised a plethora of girls, where your choices made would affect where you ended up with them in the long run.

Unfortunately it seems like you're just able to have a relationship with every single one, without much consequence. We'll have to see where it all ends up in the future.

One thing that really irked me is the fact that it seems impossible to continue a relationship with Connie. It really seems that your choices don't really matter
  16. 3.00 star(s)

Deleted member 207916

Based on v.5

Good points

Character models are all nice and good. Story somewhat generic, not boring but meh. If you played games from this dev, like Melody, than you know of what i'm talking about. The game does have indeed huge amount of content and i do recommend this game to everyone to try it out.

Bad points

I realy hoped that next update will fix point system, which is kinda broken. I mean what ever you choose certain events will play out. This led me to conclude that point system doesn't mattter at all. This means even if you have negative points with certain characters there will be the same conversation and events. Next to it is choices. This is second element of the game totally broken. Like the time where you can ask Vicky out. You have choice to ask her or not. Again choice doesn't actually matter cause if you choose not to she will ask you (MC) out. After that dev failed to enable decision sydtem. Like should you get romantically involved with character(s) or not.

This game, imo, does have potential but certain elements of the game are broken. I do like it, character models and story line but also i do like to choose with which characters i want to get romantically involved. I do hope that dev will fix it. Note that in previous version i gave score 4/5 and now in v0.5 i'm droping to 3/5.
  17. 2.00 star(s)

lovehate

Pros:
    - sometimes nice looking renders
    aaand... that's it.

Cons:
    - boring story, boring characters
    - a lot of filler dialogs which make you just burn more time for nothing
    - questionable design desigions like grind-based approach to unlock all the content

Looks like MrDots lost his spark for good and needs a good writer, can't remember any bunch of games from a single author where writing become more dull from game to game.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

BeastMaster59

My Rating of this Game is:

Pros:
    + Fantastic Renders
    + Easy Playing
    +Active Play
    +Nice Closeups
    +Lots of ladies
    +Beautiful Women
    +Long Game Play

Cons:
    -Nothing

Info:
    I played it a couple of minutes before I realized something familiar with this Game,and it then hit me at the beach where the flyer hit the guys face that it was from Mr Dots.
    What a Pleasant surprise....The story is great and there are no boring segments, and typical Mr Dots, the ladies are beautiful and the writing is Top.
    Will be looking to see how far the couples Open-Relation goes and hoping for more great minutes of Playing.
  19. 3.00 star(s)

Steviehg84

Minor Spoilers

Decent game with a likable protagonist, can't say the same for the love interest he grew up with & is reunited with, she lies to him right off the bat & your still expected to want to date her? Hopefully there is an option somewhere down the line to crush her for the crap she pulls to get you to her as she comes across as desceptive & selfish in a few ways, there are some nice characters to be found which is a relief, just hope the end game isn't to have you end up with the manipulative character.
  20. 2.00 star(s)

dragonbro91

so what have we got bad fathers,pussified sons that cant be strict or assertive without being assholes,women making bad choices left and right witch always turn out to be a mans fault and the pièce de résistance diversity whamen Powa witch needed a taser.

my final verdict this project was made by a feminist pussy hat wearing sjw.