Ren'Py Switch to linux.

RobNorthman

Jun 20, 2017
I'm thinking about switching from windows to linux, but before I do I'd like to know if it's possible to port old save files and do the various mods still work, what about UnRen and the like, can I still extract image files etc?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Compress the folder %APPDATA%\RenPy. It's faster and safer, this way you are not going to miss multi-persistent files and stuff.
Then log in to Linux, move the archive into your home, unzip it and rename the directory as .renpy (yes, all lowercase and with an initial dot). If it disappears, don't panic: it's because your file manager hides files and directories starting with a dot. Just change its settings.

A similar trick should work for Unity games too, except that you are going to play them via some Wine-based software. Find the Windows folder(s) with your saves, compress it, move the archive into Linux and extract its content inside the corresponding Wine directory. On Linux, most of my saves are stored in:
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/[MY_USERNAME]/AppData/LocalLow
but if you use the Steam client, the path is different.

As for RPG Maker games, their save folders are usually inside the game itself. Those must be moved separately.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
In addition to the good advice already given, If you have the drive space for it it's worth setting up for dual booting. Storage is cheap and you can save a lot of valuable time when one OS or the other is being weird about something you need to do.

Reactions: scrumbles

PinkDaizy

May 6, 2023
what about UnRen and the like, can I still extract image files etc?
I use unrpa on Linux. I didn't even need to manually download it. I just installed the "unrpa" package through the package manager. Although I guess not all Linux distros will offer it. It's this one:

Reactions: RobNorthman