anonuser1999

Apr 24, 2021
Looks like this game isn't dead and the full rework is just around the corner:

Hey all!

As stated in my last post, this is a Q&A post. Instead of just rambling and trying to explain what I've been doing, why it's taking so long, and the future of the game, and likely ending up missing things people want to know, I'm instead just gonna give a short explanation, then let you all ask what you want to know. I'll be as transparent and full as I can be.

--- So first, what am I doing?

I am in the end stages of a full rework for Sylphine. This includes the story, characters, environment, and UI design. For many reasons I deemed this necessary, the main one being that in the original game I expanded too far into too many directions, and ended up sort of backing myself into a corner as far as future updates go. The two dimensions was too much, and there were too many side characters. Also, the combat was just stupid, why did I add that? I don't know.

--- Why is it taking so long?
The answer to that is going to be really unfulfilling. I suffer from severe imposter syndrome, anxiety (yay), and am basically just super uh, what's the word... super insecure about my work. I must have rewrote this story 10x to make it 'perfect', I kept redesigning characters to make them 'perfect', and kept redoing renders to make them 'perfect'. I also have a habit of taking feedback seriously, and trying to please everyone. E.g, if a person is like, I don't like X change, I in my head immediately would be like, oh my god I need to change X. Even if X is what I feel is right.

Not a satisfying or thrilling of an answer, but it is what it is. I've talked to quite a few people over it, and think for the most part I've conquered my anxiety about my work. It helps that a ton of friendly and amazing devs more or less took me under their wing for a bit and taught me a bunch to help me better my work. I've also talked to my wife and gotten over the issue of trying to please everyone, so I'm, at this point, making the game that I want and that I think is good, and I hope that will make my passion show and make the game better for players.

--- What exactly are your future plans for the game?
Again, it isn't really a satisfying answer, but I plan to update it on a fairly regular schedule once this rework is done, and finish the story. Simple enough. I'm containing the scope of the game so I don't suffer again from feature creep. A simple visual novel, no BS like combat. I do have minigames for earning money but they are very simple, nothing interactive that actually requires you to put heavy thought into it.

--- What exactly is the new story?
The new story, in short, involves a conflict between two kingdoms, the Kingdoms of Heaven, and Hell. No, this is *not* religious. I don't plan to implement religion or have references to religion as we know it, this is solely Heaven and Hell in a non-religious context. There won't be a 'God' or 'Devil', or anything related to modern Abrahamic religions.

This is just a short overview of what I think are gonna be the most pertinent questions.
But if you have *any* questions that you want to know about anything related to the game, no matter how trivial, ask in the comments! I'll answer as soon as I can, and amend your question and the answer to this post.

Thank you!

---- Public question 1 - What is the size of the « new cast » in your planning right now? I’m thinking about everyone, romance option or not. Also, in your rewrite, do you plan to make us play the story in a specific order or it will be at the player discretion?
Overall? The plan is to keep it under 25 total. That includes all encountered characters. Romance options I'm keeping under 10. For reference, the old version was approaching 26 romanceable characters alone. It will be at player discretion. You can choose who to advance and when.

---- Public question 2 - Is there any idea when the update will be available roughly?
I am erring on the side of caution by not giving an estimate as I historically have never met a personally made deadline in the history of this game. But a playtest is soon to come, and I'll be sharing more stuff about the new features and the new story to try to tide you all over.

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
ahhh you are right didnt realise there were 2 games from him
Not two games, two iterations of the same game.
Sylphine (which is the current project) is the rework of Sylphia Island (which in itself has gotten reworked once before), meaning this is going to be the 4th full remake that this will be undergoing.

rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
Looks like this game isn't dead and the full rework is just around the corner:

Hey all!

As stated in my last post, this is a Q&A post. Instead of just rambling and trying to explain what I've been doing, why it's taking so long, and the future of the game, and likely ending up missing things people want to know, I'm instead just gonna give a short explanation, then let you all ask what you want to know. I'll be as transparent and full as I can be.

--- So first, what am I doing?

I am in the end stages of a full rework for Sylphine. This includes the story, characters, environment, and UI design. For many reasons I deemed this necessary, the main one being that in the original game I expanded too far into too many directions, and ended up sort of backing myself into a corner as far as future updates go. The two dimensions was too much, and there were too many side characters. Also, the combat was just stupid, why did I add that? I don't know.

--- Why is it taking so long?
The answer to that is going to be really unfulfilling. I suffer from severe imposter syndrome, anxiety (yay), and am basically just super uh, what's the word... super insecure about my work. I must have rewrote this story 10x to make it 'perfect', I kept redesigning characters to make them 'perfect', and kept redoing renders to make them 'perfect'. I also have a habit of taking feedback seriously, and trying to please everyone. E.g, if a person is like, I don't like X change, I in my head immediately would be like, oh my god I need to change X. Even if X is what I feel is right.

Not a satisfying or thrilling of an answer, but it is what it is. I've talked to quite a few people over it, and think for the most part I've conquered my anxiety about my work. It helps that a ton of friendly and amazing devs more or less took me under their wing for a bit and taught me a bunch to help me better my work. I've also talked to my wife and gotten over the issue of trying to please everyone, so I'm, at this point, making the game that I want and that I think is good, and I hope that will make my passion show and make the game better for players.

--- What exactly are your future plans for the game?
Again, it isn't really a satisfying answer, but I plan to update it on a fairly regular schedule once this rework is done, and finish the story. Simple enough. I'm containing the scope of the game so I don't suffer again from feature creep. A simple visual novel, no BS like combat. I do have minigames for earning money but they are very simple, nothing interactive that actually requires you to put heavy thought into it.

--- What exactly is the new story?
The new story, in short, involves a conflict between two kingdoms, the Kingdoms of Heaven, and Hell. No, this is *not* religious. I don't plan to implement religion or have references to religion as we know it, this is solely Heaven and Hell in a non-religious context. There won't be a 'God' or 'Devil', or anything related to modern Abrahamic religions.

This is just a short overview of what I think are gonna be the most pertinent questions.
But if you have *any* questions that you want to know about anything related to the game, no matter how trivial, ask in the comments! I'll answer as soon as I can, and amend your question and the answer to this post.

Thank you!

---- Public question 1 - What is the size of the « new cast » in your planning right now? I’m thinking about everyone, romance option or not. Also, in your rewrite, do you plan to make us play the story in a specific order or it will be at the player discretion?
Overall? The plan is to keep it under 25 total. That includes all encountered characters. Romance options I'm keeping under 10. For reference, the old version was approaching 26 romanceable characters alone. It will be at player discretion. You can choose who to advance and when.

---- Public question 2 - Is there any idea when the update will be available roughly?
I am erring on the side of caution by not giving an estimate as I historically have never met a personally made deadline in the history of this game. But a playtest is soon to come, and I'll be sharing more stuff about the new features and the new story to try to tide you all over.
so thats what the 20th complete rework with characters now looking so scary that even sleep paralysis demons would leave them alone ?

4.70 star(s) 23 Votes