System Advice For Game

Tutorial

Jan 28, 2018
I would like to preface this by saying that I am not a coder / programmer. The most of my previous 'programming' experience is Twine, and I don't think that really counts. That being said, I have learned the basics of Java.

I've been storyboarding and sketching out a new game recently, and I've gotten to the point where I've gotten a decent bit of writing and design ideas down. I've begun to consider what system to use - and would like some advice on what to use. Regarding the game itself;
  • It would feature minimal images, having portraits or item artwork at most, maybe the occasional CG
  • It would be largely text-based to describe settings and individuals, and scenes would be written as scenes, rather than, say, the dialogue-focused writing of a VN
  • It would feature a simplistic turn-based combat system. Things that would be nice but not necessary for the system is the ability to engage multiple enemies.
  • It would feature an inventory system, and maybe an RPG-style progression system.
  • It would feature multiple locations.
--Basically, it's something I can mostly manageably create in Twine. That being said, I have noticed that people consider Twine to be a little unprofessional - and there is certainly something appealing to be said about a proper UI. Something close to what I want are the types of systems used in CoC or TiTS - though I'm told that they use Java.

To that end, how feasible would it be for a beginner programmer to set something like TiTS's system up? Failing that, are there any systems you would recommend for this sort of game? Is Twine the best choice after all, considering my preexisting understanding of the system? Would simply finding a more proficient programmer be a better answer?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If you want to use Twine, use twine.
You do not have to follow the path of another game, I made a prototype of a text based game in Unity and it worked just fine.

Things like Text Based and even Visual Novels are so simple that anything will do, it only comes up to what you are comfortable with.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Tutorial

Jan 28, 2018
If you want to use Twine, use twine.
You do not have to follow the path of another game, I made a prototype of a text based game in Unity and it worked just fine.

Things like Text Based and even Visual Novels are so simple that anything will do, it only comes up to what you are comfortable with.
I have noticed the simplicity, which is why I'm considering Java or something similar at all!

My concern is less following the path of another game, and more aesthetic presentation. Twine has certain limitations that makes the UI less friendly and pliable than other methods - at least, I've never really found any Twine-based programs with something like that.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
So make those boxes ... hit them high ... hit them low ... All the boxes ... text boxes in a 4D unity environment should give portal a run for it's money;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lust Demon

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
If you know twine unity has a plugin called yarn spinner that is based on twine, pretty easy to use, altough I would recommend a plugin called fungus wich is much easier and with lots of tutorials.

As for rpg mechanics unity just released an rpg creation kit. wich should help write most of the stuff there, specially combined with the 2d gamekit.

all those tools are free and designed to create games without writing a single line of code, altough combining them should require code. but not much.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I would like to preface this by saying that I am not a coder / programmer. The most of my previous 'programming' experience is Twine, and I don't think that really counts. That being said, I have learned the basics of Java.
(...)
--Basically, it's something I can mostly manageably create in Twine. That being said, I have noticed that people consider Twine to be a little unprofessional - and there is certainly something appealing to be said about a proper UI. Something close to what I want are the types of systems used in CoC or TiTS - though I'm told that they use Java.

To that end, how feasible would it be for a beginner programmer to set something like TiTS's system up?
I'll be honest, I haven't played them, but doing an image search on the TiTS interface, it doesn't look like anything too difficult for Twine. It's mainly a lot of CSS work and some art.

Keep in mind that Twine's interface can look however you want. The main thing is that most people only make superficial changes, like the colors and such. If you put a bit of work into it, most people familiar with Twine games wouldn't recognize it as being a Twine game.

Failing that, are there any systems you would recommend for this sort of game? Is Twine the best choice after all, considering my preexisting understanding of the system?
You're planning on doing something mainly using text and a little graphics, and you're already familiar with Twine, which is well suited to games like that, so it seems like a decent choice to me.

Would simply finding a more proficient programmer be a better answer?
Well, that really depends both on how good you are and how complicated your game is. There isn't really enough information to answer that.

It would feature an inventory system, and maybe an RPG-style progression system.
Well, if you're interested, see my signature for my Universal Inventory System (UInv) for Twine/SugarCube. That should simplify creating an inventory system for you.

Hope that helps and good luck with your game! :)