mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
I'm following the walktrought, but still can't understand how to access to the final challenge #2, any tips on that?
To gain access to that, your mental resistance must be 3 or lower and you must travel between planets. This will slowly raise an invisible stat (indoctrination) which tracks how much control you have lost thanks to ALICE.

Note that depending on various factors (like, difficulty setting, ship upgrades, traits and so on) you might need to have a lower mental resistance to increase this stat. You get short scenes during travels to let you know your indoctrination is raising when you hit 10, 20, and 30 points (40 points is a game over). You must have 30 indoctrination points or more to get final challenge #2, while challenge #3 triggers between 30 and 20, 20 included.

Reactions: MatAsp

SimpForCorruption

Jan 29, 2022
Just a quick heads up, this game is built on Rags 2.4.14, the best download of Rags needed to run it is 2.4.16. The original and almost all links to rags have been dead for years.

The solution for getting the right version of Rags I ran across is the internet wayback machine:

The file I think you'll want is the July 2019 snapshot of the rags 2.4.16 version. Clicking the snapshot date you want will give you a zip file with the downloader for Rags. Unzip the file, use the Rags setup windows installer, an install wizard pops up and I had to select I accept on the terms and conditions page. I left all the install things like location rags is installed to as the default options.

Once I got that version of Rags installed, simply double clicking on the Tales_of_the_Drunken_Cowboy_-_Chapter_1_1.0g file I was able to open the game and play it. Figured getting the right version of Rags to play this since it no longer a thing was difficult so I would post this for folks in the future.

Reactions: will_990 and mdqp

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Just a quick heads up, this game is built on Rags 2.4.14, the best download of Rags needed to run it is 2.4.16. The original and almost all links to rags have been dead for years.

The solution for getting the right version of Rags I ran across is the internet wayback machine:

The file I think you'll want is the July 2019 snapshot of the rags 2.4.16 version. Clicking the snapshot date you want will give you a zip file with the downloader for Rags. Unzip the file, use the Rags setup windows installer, an install wizard pops up and I had to select I accept on the terms and conditions page. I left all the install things like location rags is installed to as the default options.

Once I got that version of Rags installed, simply double clicking on the Tales_of_the_Drunken_Cowboy_-_Chapter_1_1.0g file I was able to open the game and play it. Figured getting the right version of Rags to play this since it no longer a thing was difficult so I would post this for folks in the future.
Mind you, there is also an HTML conversion, so RAGS isn't mandatory anymore. It's a bit unusual (you need to use right-click even if it's an HTML file), but it works well, as far as I know.

Reactions: will_990

Ryaa

Jul 19, 2018
Is the updated walkthrough still in the plans? I remember you mentioned it a year or so ago, but I can understand if you've dumped it since you're pretty busy with the sequel.

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Is the updated walkthrough still in the plans? I remember you mentioned it a year or so ago, but I can understand if you've dumped it since you're pretty busy with the sequel.
I haven't dumped it, but boy it's hard to make progress on it. I have been getting sick just about every month in the last 15 months, and it's making it hard to keep up with my current game, let alone find the time to work on my next one, or clean up the walkthrough for this one.

Reactions: Ryaa
5.00 star(s) 3 Votes