Text and render ratio

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Hey!

I have a question about a reasonable ratio of text per render. I don't want a different render to go in every word, but I also don't want to overwhelm the player with blocks of text with one static render. Do you have any golden means for this problem? What is your opinion and how do you do it?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
My golden rule is 5 to 6 lines per render max and only if really necessary like in a scene with more people.

The more text you add under a single render, the faster player get bored and start to skip. If you can't shorten your text then try to break it down with different renders by either switching between characters, different angle, adding dynamic renders (blinking effect) or animated dialogues.

I remember there was a super long dialogue scene between two characters in The Intoxicating Flavor which bored the hell out of me, because it was the same two or three renders and the dialogues went on and on. At one point I started to skip and no longer cared about the dialogues in that scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdree

tdree

Nov 16, 2017
My golden rule is 5 to 6 lines per render max and only if really necessary like in a scene with more people.

The more text you add under a single render, the faster player get bored and start to skip. If you can't shorten your text then try to break down with different renders by either switching between characters, different angle, adding dynamic renders (blinking effect) or animated dialogues.

I remember there was a super long dialogue scene between two character in The Intoxicating Flavor which bored me to hell, because it was the same two or three renders and the dialogues went on and on. At one point I started to skip and no longer cared about the dialogues in that scene.
I think I know what dialog you are talking about. That was the reason I dropped the game -_-

Reactions: cold_arctus