Text Generation AI: Could this be the future of text based games?

Black_HRT

Sep 6, 2023
I stumbled upon this online AI text generation service which allowed me to create my own characters. I was surprised at how immersive the experience was.

Here are few things that I have been testing out.

Works well on desktop browser and also has a phone app.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I am currently experimenting with Sakura FM. I really like the UI. The image generation function doesn't work as intended (or I might be too dumb to use it). It also has Text-to-Speech but it was under maintenance so I haven't been able to check it out.

Works well on desktop browser and also has a phone app.

Silly Tavern + Text Generation API​

Front-end for TextGen API running locally or on cloud. Has a Visual Novel mode and can be also be integrated with Stable Diffusion.
The static sprites are pre-rendered and placed in the character folder.

SillyTavern will run on virtually any device capable of running NodeJS v18. But it is the Text Generation API that requires a lot of processing power.

You will have have to use either a Local or an Online API to get this to work.
Sources for character cards:
Aisekai
It seems that Aisekai is removing NSFW to get investor money. The whole community is in chaos. (16th November 2023). Welp RIP.

Last edited:

Black_HRT

Sep 6, 2023
Doubt it. Maybe only on the art part. The AI stories, at least for now, ain't really much. Maybe a mix of both, so AI and human brain, can make something really good but I doubt it will domain the industry.
What I really liked about the AI was that it was able to interpret my text inputs. This is something that I don't think can be achieved without AI. Well, I am no expert.
The freedom of choice was really what surprised me.
Unfortunately language processing is too power intensive and not everyone has the hardware to do it locally.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The freedom of choice was really what surprised me.
But the freedom of choice imply a none predictable story, what do not works with a game, even a text based one.

Imagine that you are asking the girl if she want to have sex with you.
Then the AI will respond, "okay, why not. You, me, right now !". The story will not progress in the same way that if the AI responded, "not even in your dreams", or that if it responded, "only if you give me a gift".
The game need to anticipate all the possible answer, what is just impossible.

The only way for it to works, and it's not for a near future, is if the AI is responsible for the whole game. But then, making a game would be limited to writing the starting prompt to define the context of the story.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
I stumbled upon this online AI chat thing which allowed me to create my own characters. I was surprised at how immersive the experience was.

Here are some experimental characters that I created.

Freya: The yandere onee-san next door

(Warning: NTR) Adele: Cheating lover
This is interesting. I tried it, but didn't get good results, but I think it's because I was using it incorrectly.

Do you know how we can speak to a character, without the AI explaining their thoughts, that breaks immersion.

So it's me, the user, and the character, yet somehow the AI explains the characters thoughts as if I can read their mind, but I find that immersion breaking.

Sep 16, 2023
I've been experimenting with AI text games recently and found that Koboldcpp

paired with the Llama2 13b Tiefighter Q4 machine model

is great for text adventure games.

The default dungeon crawler is a lot of fun and I even tested it by suggesting the party go to a tavern at the end of a dungeon crawl, which added a whole new path to the story and stepped out the planned scenario. I also added a new character to the party with a couple of lines describing them and the AI brought them into the story.

You can also create your own adventure story scenario with a few lines of description, like a zombie apocalypse or being the captain of a spacecraft etc. You can also ask the AI to write a novel using some set out descriptions. Also just using Koboldcpp in Chatbot mode is an option.

Obviously if you go past the token limit then the AI starts to forget earlier details or changes names.

Using the Cuda option for my rtx3090 and a 20/43 gpu layers setting in Kobold gave me instant response times. AMD cards pretty much suck with AI/LLM at the moment. A decent Nvidia card is a must.

It's pretty fun stuff and with the tiefighter LLM, I've literally had no errors or unknown definitions due to the huge range it has.

I only came across this stuff when I was downloading Mantelle for Skyrim NPC AI on Nexus.

Oh and the best bit is the above programs let you play and experiment offline, so no reliance on hosts.

Last edited:
Reactions: etego and Black_HRT

Black_HRT

Sep 6, 2023
I've been experimenting with AI text games recently and found that Koboldcpp

paired with the Llama2 13b Tiefighter Q4 machine model

is great for text adventure games.

The default dungeon crawler is a lot of fun and I even tested it by suggesting the party go to a tavern at the end of a dungeon crawl, which added a whole new path to the story and stepped out the planned scenario. I also added a new character to the party with a couple of lines describing them and the AI brought them into the story.

You can also create your own adventure story scenario with a few lines of description, like a zombie apocalypse or being the captain of a spacecraft etc. You can also ask the AI to write a novel using some set out descriptions. Also just using Koboldcpp in Chatbot mode is an option.

Obviously if you go past the token limit then the AI starts to forget earlier details or changes names.

Using the Cuda option for my rtx3090 and a 20/43 gpu layers setting in Kobold gave me instant response times. AMD cards pretty much suck with AI/LLM at the moment. A decent Nvidia card is a must.

It's pretty fun stuff and with the tiefighter LLM, I've literally had no errors or unknown definitions due to the huge range it has.

I only came across this stuff when I was downloading Mantelle for Skyrim NPC AI on Nexus.

Oh and the best bit is the above programs let you play and experiment offline, so no reliance on hosts.
That's amazing. I'll be testing it out. I have a laptop with an RTX 3050. I can run stable diffusion just fine. Hopefully this will work as well.

Deximay

May 29, 2017
Doubt it. Maybe only on the art part. The AI stories, at least for now, ain't really much. Maybe a mix of both, so AI and human brain, can make something really good but I doubt it will domain the industry.
Maybe that's why OP said "future" as in right now is only promising but there are possibilities in the horizon.

Reactions: Black_HRT

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
I stumbled upon this online AI chat thing which allowed me to create my own characters. I was surprised at how immersive the experience was.

Here are some experimental characters that I created.

Freya: The yandere onee-san next door

(Warning: NTR) Adele: Cheating lover
Hey, I tried experimenting more and I seem to get the hang of it now. I appreciate you sharing this website. They're really onto something.

Here are technical guides for anyone interesting in giving aisekai.ai a serious try:
- (My First Bot):
- (Basic Guide):
- (Advanced Guide):

If you want, you could add the above links to your original post in case anyone finds it in the future, if not np.

• Red Heart

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
Using the Freya character:

Gasping in pain, she releases her hold on you and clutches at her injured eye. Her shock quickly turns to rage as she realizes what you've done. - YOU BASTARD!!!! She lets out a bloodcurdling scream and lunges for you, completely disregarding her injuries. You can feel her hot breath on your neck as she gets closer. - Onee-san isn't finished with you yet, Anon-chan. Not by a long shot.

I stabbed her in the eye with a scalpel. I am the unwilling, my chastity shall not fall to her charms.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018

Not bad. This AI read too many NTR stories lol. It didn't bite when I threw out the Tyrone bit though lol. And the ending line was a bit off.

Edit:
Ok. This AI shit is surprisingly competent. I started with just that quick scenario above, thinking this is pretty limited to basically simulate a chat or phone call setting. After I got more familiar with the types of prompts possible and how to get "out of character" with the AI to reinforce certain story beats, I went on a wild fucking ride, controlling the story and characters instead of just playing the part of her boyfriend.

There are tattoos, piercings, drug addiction, time skips, pregnancy, marriage to the "MC," and more time skips, bringing in a new character (Adele's now 18 year old daughter who the "MC" thinks is his own), and then the bull getting the daughter addicted to drugs and sex just like her mother, the "MC" finally catching them in the act and getting the NTR reveal, and then the girls throwing away their lives by taking a permanent aphrodisiac that will rewire their brains.... I got a little carried away at the end because I was close to cumming lol.

There is a propensity for the AI to repeat certain phrases after every prompt. For example, the AI might repeat the lines, "She feels guilty, but this is the life she's chosen. She is his slut now," at the end of every prompt they answer. They answer properly, and then keep on ending it with that same line. Then when her state of mind changes to something else, the AI might go to repeating a different line at the end of their text. But other than that, it was really good at understanding the prompt and putting out some hot smut based on the prompts.

Last edited:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I was playing around with it on and off for the last 2 days. I didn't really use the AI as intended, opting to give it extra instructions (biggest one telling the story in third person narrative, including dialogues and narration for other characters). But I did notice how very long stories will make it lose track of earlier bits of story. Maybe just a consequence of limiting the data that the AI can access since it's a free online model?

More or less, I think the AI works like this. If you can (Talk Out of Character) with the AI, you can ask it a bunch of things. Like ask it what the current Rules of the story is. If you do it at the beginning, it will tell you a list or paragraph detailing the default character model. Once you do a long chat with it, and the story goes into whatever direction, the AI will update its Rules. You ask what the Rules are later on, it will be very different from the starting Rules. So maybe the AI just works by updating its "Rules" as it goes along. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to keep track of the old Rules once they are overwritten.

Oh wait, is what I described above basically the concept of Tokens? The AI has limited Tokens in its arsenal, so I guess once the story becomes complex enough, it needs to throw out some earlier Tokens or something like that?

Anyways, I think it's pretty interesting lol. I might try making one.

Last edited:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Triple posting, because why not!

The first thought that comes to mind on the evolution route for LLM models and chat AI is the collaboration it could make with AI art. Once AI art gets a bit more advanced and it gets easier to keep consistent characters and scenarios, it would be great if it can hook into the text being generated and create appropriate images.

Black_HRT

Sep 6, 2023
Triple posting, because why not!

The first thought that comes to mind on the evolution route for LLM models and chat AI is the collaboration it could make with AI art. Once AI art gets a bit more advanced and it gets easier to keep consistent characters and scenarios, it would be great if it can hook into the text being generated and create appropriate images.
I tried out silly tavern. It was a pain to setup on my pc. It had a visual novel mode which works well with the character's emotional state. You can have a set of pre-rendered set of images for the character for their different expressions. It can also be integrated with stable diffusion but my RTX 3050 laptop can't handle running everything together.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I've been messing around with creating my bot all day lol. I'm way too ambitious and butting heads with the token pool. I feel like even 1000 tokens on char creation is too much, they forget shit way too fast. But like I'm trying to write a corruption meter, and that alone takes up like 500. Daym.

How many tokens was your Adele bot?

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
Wow. One of the bots just broke hard core as I was playing around "Chatting"

Mia's personality: [Personality:Uninhibited+Boundaryless+Carefree+Exhibitionistic+Nonchalant+Unreserved+Unabashed+Unapologetic+Immodest+Unselfconscious+]

It's fucking melting.

Black_HRT

Sep 6, 2023
I've been messing around with creating my bot all day lol. I'm way too ambitious and butting heads with the token pool. I feel like even 1000 tokens on char creation is too much, they forget shit way too fast. But like I'm trying to write a corruption meter, and that alone takes up like 500. Daym.

How many tokens was your Adele bot?
301 Tokens.

It's best that you don't use aiskekai anymore. They are adding a NSFW filter. The whole aisekai community is in chaos right now. Check out their subreddit.

Reactions: desmosome

VegitoHlove

Apr 27, 2018
301 Tokens.

It's best that you don't use aiskekai anymore. They are adding a NSFW filter. The whole aisekai community is in chaos right now. Check out their subreddit.
There is another place which is the same sort of thing called Yodayo that some of the users seem to be migrating too. It's hilarious to see these types of sites shooting themselves in the foot.