HTML - Completed - The Anax: Call of the Cursed One [Anaximanes]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Gilbertfred

Gilbertfred
    Firstly I would like to preface this by saying that the first part of this review is about the "Anaxverse" in general, with the second portion being dedicated to whichever VN this review is found on.

Part One:

The Anaxverse is a competently (though not seamlessly) interconnected group of VNs with varying amounts of mechanical complexity and flavour that share the same setting, characters, and lore. This universe has a sort of weird fantasy vibe that mixes and mashes high fantasy elements with witches, wizards, demons, etc with sci-fi elements aliens, metahumans. etc. One moment you could be reading about lake monsters or dark gods and the next superheroes might be fighting a mad German scientist who likes to lobotomize people for kicks. The setting is novel, to say the least.

When it comes to the sexual content of the Anaxverse the fetishes are usually centered around corruption through dark forces (the nature of those dark forces are however varied as is their method of corrupting people), however, that's not to say that the setting is completely incapable of producing more light and vanilla content (just that it is in the extreme minority). The other facet of the sexual content is the medium in which it is communicated, some VNs in this series will use photoshopped images (usually the older entries in the series) while others will use CG images, I prefer the former. However, the nature of the scenes and the fact the images at least used photoshop make the older entries still worthwhile if you're on the fence about them.

Part Two:

I have mixed feelings on The Anax: Call of the cursed one, on one hand, it probably has some of the best world-building out of all the novels of the Anaxverse that I've read (which is most of them). But, on the other hand, I feel that this game has some of the weakest erotic writing out of all the other novels and to compound on that issue I personally prefer boy-girl content but this game is more focused on lesbian content which is something to keep in mind if you have similar preferences to me.

As far as the particulars are concerned, in this novel, you are placed into the shoes of Evelyn Addams whos is given the book of shadows by the mysterious librarian, which contains a spell to summon the mysterious Anax.