Ren'Py - The Avatar Trainer [v0.12a] [Rnot2000]

1. 3.00 star(s)

darkolo

Art is great. I also like the cheat menu. Combat is boring for me so I turned it off.

But as others said the big problem is slow text speed and no way for skipping it. This is big problem because dev like to use pauses in dialogues , example :

Hi
    hello

now imagine that evertime dot is typed there is a sound effect as well. And every dot is typed separately. And you cant speed it up or skip. Yea this made me fell asleep with penis in my hand. Not good.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

OnlyAMan

Has a lot of potential, but wasted it all on a series of boring, repetitive combat. That's a real shame, because the dev clearly has a lot of talent; and this could have been one of those games everyone's played and uses as a standard. Really, still could be. It is early in the development.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

doidera

There are a lot of avatars trainer out there... I don't see much that this one could offer that is different enough to be worth a subscription to the dev's Patreon, for example (if he has one or if he intends to open one).
    Now, one thing none of those do is one with a female lead, for example.
    Why not put Korra in Aang's place or let the player choose between them? Yes, a female avatar, without futa, "bending" Katara, Toph, Azula and others... that would be different and worth following the game.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

ehendu

Not particularly optimistic about this game. RenPy is a pretty clunky system for what they seem to be trying to do. Lots of useless clicking. Fights are 90% optional, which is quite frankly a very good thing given how tedious and boring they are.

English/Grammar is clearly not the dev's first language, but this is an alpha/demo release so not really a big deal. Definitely needs an editor on the team though. As of now, makes the already incredibly bland story even more of a slog.

Art is okay. Nothing particularly outstanding. Nothing particularly terrible.

On the more nitpicky side of things, as of v0.01 Alpha, you can "name" your character for dialogue purposes, but menu and combat he's Elon for some reason? Also, setting things in the Avatar universe but using normal animals like Rat, Bat, Slimes, etc feels wrong and exceedingly lazy to me. This is the universe were a plain old bear was the novelty and polar bear dogs, sky bison, and other silly fantastical creatures were the norm.

Given the track record of games this one being started and abandoned, I don't see this going anywhere. Time would be better spent replaying Four Elements Trainer if you're looking for Avatar stuff.

Overall, 2 stars, with 1 of those largely being because it's a demo and first draft so I'll give benefit of the doubt that they intend to improve on this considerably.

For the dev, if they see these, I'd strongly recommend picking up an editor for the story/English and reconsidering the game engine and game style for what you look to be trying to do. Or at least change things up to cut back on the excessive number of clicks to do anything.