Dec 28, 2019
Having no beating heart and not breathing in oxygen doesn't make sense.
The cells of biological lifeforms need oxygen to produce energy.
Corpses don't need to breathe. Vampires are traditionally referred to as undead for a reason. They are dead, but magically suspended on the edge of death and so they still appear alive aside from being a bit pallid. They get the energy they need directly from the blood they drink. A really old vampire will collapse into dust if they're killed as the magical suspension ends.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
First of all thanks for the update, always very much appreciated! I would have liked a little more action, but all in all foundations are laid for the future and that kind of think has to happen.

On the topic mentioned here:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Despite my comment I very much enjoy this game and look forward to the next update. Thanks for all your hard work.
The nature of a choice is that the different options leads to different outcomes. In this case being dead or alive, two very clear outcomes. That one of the options is very undesirable doesn't make the choice false.
By the way, is more about more missing options. And I could perhaps see there being an option to try to make up a lie, if relevant skill is high enough.

Your suggestion however, would only be a bit of different flavor text and otherwise have no actual consequences. Which seems pretty pointless to me.

Reactions: Ragnar

Olsens.M

Apr 23, 2021
If this game didn't have the sandbox feature it would be way better. The story of the game is great, the characters are great, but once it put those sandbox stuff with quests, etc. I didn't like it. I feel like it is gonna kill the progress of the story that has been well written so far.

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
If this game didn't have the sandbox feature it would be way better. The story of the game is great, the characters are great, but once it put those sandbox stuff with quests, etc. I didn't like it. I feel like it is gonna kill the progress of the story that has been well written so far.
It's not like the sandbox is associated with gameplay elements like grinding etc.. You just choose in which order you want the story to happen.

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
heh...well let's see.

After a bit of research I find that Twilight was neither the first nor the last vampire-themed story to indicate vampires did not require respiration.

Yes, I understand the TCA cycle and how important oxygen's role is in physiological processes. However, this is a vampire story. Fangs extend magically, supernatural abilities, mind control, etc. So a reality distortion field is in place.

Yes, air is required to vibrate vocal chords, so movement of the diaphragm is in order.

Can vampires drown? In any of their stories I've read that possibility is not considered a threat, whether implicit or explicitly stated. They can sleep in sealed coffins or other similar constructs in some stories for thousands of years.

But it caught my attention when I read while our bone-headed, smack-talking MC was being accosted, the author used the term suffocate. That term struck me as being incongruous with lore. Not a biggie, however.
I asked this back during the first release. Vampires in this universe do need to breathe.

That is a contrast to the usual vampire stories (including WoD) where vampires do not require oxygenation. They obviously can breathe in order to speak and maintain masquerade, but it is not vital to life.

This game isn't using straight up WoD lore. It is heavily inspired by it, but the dev also mentioned True Blood. There are some significant deviations and original(?) lore in place already.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

Olsens.M

Apr 23, 2021
First of all thanks for the update, always very much appreciated! I would have liked a little more action, but all in all foundations are laid for the future and that kind of think has to happen.

On the topic mentioned here:

Despite my comment I very much enjoy this game and look forward to the next update. Thanks for all your hard work.
I also didn't like the death parth. I usually don't like any game with this feature. Like if you make a choice you die. SO you died, you don't need to play the game anymore or support the game anymore (it is pratically the message I get from devs who does it) either that or you only have the choice of doing what the dev wants that is the other choice. Because I am pretty sure he wants people to keep playing the game. Or his idea was, the people who chose the death outcome should have quit the game and uninstalling/deleted it afterwards and stop playing right there? I think it is kind of silly.

The other thing I'd like to mention are the traits you choose at start. Sports/Dungeon and dragons/Street Smart. They kind of give you certain traits, certain strenghts, in theory, but it is never used in the game. Like, My MC having hight power, agility, etc, etc, didn't change the outcome of anything. He was powerful, agile, high survivability, and it never changes the outcome of what is about to happen. Some choices I made based on the traits I had, expecting to see if those traits would give me the expected outcome but they never did. And they are the same outcome as if I had chosen the other traits. Jason will still be able to stab and kill me, Emilia will still be able to do whatever, there is no chance of survive, unless I submit to her. It is not like any of my mc traits matters.

Olsens.M

Apr 23, 2021
It's not like the sandbox is associated with gameplay elements like grinding etc.. You just choose in which order you want the story to happen.
There was a quest to go to violet club to get my documents, but when I tried to travel to that place it wouldn't let me go because it is in development, and no other choice would let me finish that quest part. So if it didnt have the sandbox/quest feature in the first place I'd just follow the normal VN order of the story. I would already know what I was able to do or not. As soon as some games starts with sandbox feature I lose interest even if it is not a grinding game.

But yet, the developer is very good at writing, he has not only a rich vocabulary as he seems to be someone who reads a lot and have a good knowledge on different subjects to write this story.

Nakathor

Jul 15, 2017
Hola there,

I need help on something... I tried to find the answer here but found nothing (or I'm just blind ?).

My active quest is "Paper please", telling me to go to the Violet Lips Club and talk to Naziim.
So I go either on the map in the bedroom, or outside at the bus stop, and when I try to visit the club, it says that I have to talk to Zoey before. But she's not in her apartment. What am I supposed to do ? Is this the end for now or am I missing something ?

Thank you in advance.

(but so far, I love this game ! The story telling is on a high level there and it's a pleasure to read everything, good job !)

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
Honestly the people complaining about the death are getting old. It was interesting for a minute because I had never heard of people quitting a game because they died in it instead of doing what you do in every other game and reloading to before the death. Edit: Fail States are a normal part of games. It is what makes them games…

It’s like complaining that Commander Shepard isn’t able to convince the councils that Saren is bad at the start of Mass Effect, and saying, “But I put my points in Charm?” Yeah, no duh, you couldn’t convince them, you’re level 2 and he’s level 30 and a trusted Spectre. Here the MC is level 2 and she is level 100.

This is normal in every other type of game. And other media too. Goku dies fighting Radits, in Dragon Age you get forced to join the Grey Wardens often because you got fucked over no mater what your skills and traits were, Big Boss loses a fight and gets his eye cut out, Harry Potter has to be killed by Voldemort, in Knights of the Old Republic Balstila get captured, Gandalf dies fighting the Balrog, FF7 is considered one of the greatest games out there and a main character is killed without the player being able to do anything no matter their level, Dark Souls existing as a game at all!

You’ve literally been a vampire for what? A week? And you think your poultry 15 highest skill, whatever it is, and trait that you admit to Zoey you don’t know how to use should make a difference against a centuries old vampire princess? Edit: Among humans you’re practically a God now, among vampire… the guards at the estate could have bodied you. You’re like a level four Alliance Paladin that wondered into the Hordes capital city… You could wreak those murlocks back home, but here among the big dogs, you’re nothing.

Required outcomes are a normal part of story telling and the things people are suggesting the dev could have done otherwise? Things they admit wouldn’t actually change anything except make a shit ton more work for an Indy dev. Or just not have any choice at all, and you know people would be pissy about that, saying, “Why didn’t I get a choice to fight back even if I would have failed?” You know how I know that would happen, because I’ve seen it in other game threads where a choice wasn’t given at all and people complained.

Get over it. You wanted to fight and died, now go train and get better and come back and win next time. The same way it works in every other type of game out there…

Edit: I think that is what confuses me the most. That this game is being treated differently than other would be. I don’t understand why. We are basically still in the prolog and you think we should beat a potential end game boss? We haven’t even met the third main faction yet, we haven’t unlocked any traits yet. We haven’t even gotten our fake id yet… this is world building prolog stuff, so yeah, your skills didn’t matter. As they usually don’t in a prolog.

Last edited:

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
Hola there,

I need help on something... I tried to find the answer here but found nothing (or I'm just blind ?).

My active quest is "Paper please", telling me to go to the Violet Lips Club and talk to Naziim.
So I go either on the map in the bedroom, or outside at the bus stop, and when I try to visit the club, it says that I have to talk to Zoey before. But she's not in her apartment. What am I supposed to do ? Is this the end for now or am I missing something ?

Thank you in advance.

(but so far, I love this game ! The story telling is on a high level there and it's a pleasure to read everything, good job !)
That quest is not implemented yet. The two things added this update were a cafe scene and visiting the estate.

Nakathor

Jul 15, 2017
That quest is not implemented yet. The two things added this update were a cafe scene and visiting the estate.
Oh ok ! It was the first time I played this game today so I was not sure what was new and where was the "end" for the time being... so, thank you !

Reactions: JoeTheMC84

RoadWulf

Engaged Member
Nov 18, 2018
The Violet Lips quest was the least favorite in the survey so it remained to be done last.
And that is exactly why you never give your supporters any power over your creation ever. Fuck em. They are paying for what you put out and should be happy with it as long as you put it out at a consistent pace and create full updates that move the plot foward.

If you put too much power in their hands they'll start directing the course of the game and then it's not yours anymore. Make YOUR game and stop caring what your supporters think.

And I would have gladly waited for the third one to be done for the update to come out. I think it should be a policy madmate gets into that if there are simple quests on the quest log that the update completes them all and then the next update would move the plot past them. Or the update could give quests that will continue of the next time. But updates should complete everything there is to do currently, not stop part way.

Reactions: Carefree247

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
I have to say, it's an interesting game but as other people have noted here, still very little in regards to ero content at least right now. Being a little of a VTM fan I want to see how the skill checks will shape up and also that skill tree present in the game, despite that I know it's easy to aim for the stars and get overwhelmed. This game will need quite a few little quests to justify these systems.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
The nature of a choice is that the different options leads to different outcomes. In this case being dead or alive, two very clear outcomes. That one of the options is very undesirable doesn't make the choice false.
By the way, is more about more missing options. And I could perhaps see there being an option to try to make up a lie, if relevant skill is high enough.

Your suggestion however, would only be a bit of different flavor text and otherwise have no actual consequences. Which seems pretty pointless to me.
I guess you missed my point.
I'll try again.
The writer controls the story. The writer controls the options available to the player. The writer and the player have an implicit contract. In this case the choice to fight is a death trap. That is why it's a false choice, and if you read my comment I indicated that it was a false choice in a sense, not that it met the strict criteria.

Undesirable refers to outcomes that are to one degree or another less than optimal. This choice isn't "undesirable" it's game ending. Your categorization of this outcome as undesirable is duplicitous at best.

Offering the choice to "fight" offers the possibility of success. That offer is a lie. Pure and simple. Writers who lie to their players suffer the consequences. As i said lazy writing and no surprise that some had a problem with it.

Reactions: bosp

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Edit: If you aren't seeing the enhanced stats, reload the game and your save again.
My mod only changes 3 lines in 1 file and just increases the stat rewards for the very first set of choices.
In the first set of choices, the reward is the same no matter which of the 3 you pick.

Updated for v0.9302

Just since I saw a few asking for cheats;

This will boost the 10 stats on the left side of the character panel along with Power and Control.
If you want to change your money or energy that can be done via; saveeditonline.com or with URM.

This should be compatible with the WT mod that is already available.
It will need to be updated with each new version though I think.

Obviously drop the "game" folder from the .rar file in your main "The Bite Revenant" folder.

Here are the stats that are supposed to change with this mod.

Last edited:

JenusKudo

Aug 4, 2017
Honestly the people complaining about the death are getting old. It was interesting for a minute because I had never heard of people quitting a game because they died in it instead of doing what you do in every other game and reloading to before the death. Edit: Fail States are a normal part of games. It is what makes them games…

It’s like complaining that Commander Shepard isn’t able to convince the councils that Saren is bad at the start of Mass Effect, and saying, “But I put my points in Charm?” Yeah, no duh, you couldn’t convince them, you’re level 2 and he’s level 30 and a trusted Spectre. Here the MC is level 2 and she is level 100.

This is normal in every other type of game. And other media too. Goku dies fighting Radits, in Dragon Age you get forced to join the Grey Wardens often because you got fucked over no mater what your skills and traits were, Big Boss loses a fight and gets his eye cut out, Harry Potter has to be killed by Voldemort, in Knights of the Old Republic Balstila get captured, Gandalf dies fighting the Balrog, FF7 is considered one of the greatest games out there and a main character is killed without the player being able to do anything no matter their level, Dark Souls existing as a game at all!

You’ve literally been a vampire for what? A week? And you think your poultry 15 highest skill, whatever it is, and trait that you admit to Zoey you don’t know how to use should make a difference against a centuries old vampire princess? Edit: Among humans you’re practically a God now, among vampire… the guards at the estate could have bodied you. You’re like a level four Alliance Paladin that wondered into the Hordes capital city… You could wreak those murlocks back home, but here among the big dogs, you’re nothing.

Required outcomes are a normal part of story telling and the things people are suggesting the dev could have done otherwise? Things they admit wouldn’t actually change anything except make a shit ton more work for an Indy dev. Or just not have any choice at all, and you know people would be pissy about that, saying, “Why didn’t I get a choice to fight back even if I would have failed?” You know how I know that would happen, because I’ve seen it in other game threads where a choice wasn’t given at all and people complained.

Get over it. You wanted to fight and died, now go train and get better and come back and win next time. The same way it works in every other type of game out there…

Edit: I think that is what confuses me the most. That this game is being treated differently than other would be. I don’t understand why. We are basically still in the prolog and you think we should beat a potential end game boss? We haven’t even met the third main faction yet, we haven’t unlocked any traits yet. We haven’t even gotten our fake id yet… this is world building prolog stuff, so yeah, your skills didn’t matter. As they usually don’t in a prolog.
Although, after we turned, we didn't get stat boost.... All our stats were (10+5) when we were human... After turning, we didn't gain any stats... Which means a fledgling vampire is as strong as a human... It should not be the case... We should have gotten few stats (10+ maybe in strength, agility etc physical stats)

Reactions: Drafox and Ragnar

Blackeye.

Aug 15, 2020
Unofficial Android Port of:

The Bite: Revenant [v0.52] + LightmanP Walkthrough Mod

My android port has an alternative save location, the save will remain intact when you uninstall the game so don't worry about starting over. And my port has a textbox opacity slider and text size slider and added change name to the main menu.

if you like my ports, consider buying me a cofee as to motivate me and get me going to do more ports, and help me pay for mega storage, thanks

saifai

Apr 30, 2019
Hi, I just installed the game and applied the walkthrough mod. I got an exception at the beginning of the game right as you take home the blonde woman from the bar. Did anyone else get this exception?

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'>:
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 25, in script call
  File "Scripts/Scenes/mc_intro.rpyc", line 67, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 715, in execute
    renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1417, in say
    who(what, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 1219, in __call__
    self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, dtt=dtt, **display_args)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 871, in do_display
    **display_args)
  File "renpy/character.py", line 621, in display_say
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3213, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3729, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2466, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 492, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 263, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 783, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 170, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "renpy/display/transform.py", line 706, in render
    return transform_render(self, width, height, st, at)
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 140, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "renpy/display/image.py", line 501, in render
    return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/image.py", line 307, in wrap_render
    rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/video.py", line 395, in render
    surf = renpy.display.render.render(self.image, width, height, st, at)
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 607, in render
    return cache.get(self, render=True)
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 271, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 688, in load
    raise e
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/story/mc_intro/0101endframe.jpg'.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.5.1648
The Bite Revenant
Thu May  5 01:06:14 2022

Reactions: Motoko Kusanagi
4.50 star(s) 68 Votes