The Cream of the Crop

What aspect of a game sets it apart the most for you?

• Art/Graphics

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Characters/Story

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • None/Other

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

HimerosWhims

Mar 22, 2018
Let me start this threat by clarifying I mean no disrespect to those who enjoy or create the games mentioned below, this is all personal opinion and preference.

This post is a bit vague but bear with me, while searching this site I've noticed a trend. ALOT of the games uploaded to the site (many of which are very popular and well liked) are ren'py 3D VN. While I have found a small group of 3D games that have brought me enjoyment, they usually have something that sets them apart. Most of the games I find to be special have interesting gameplay or (in my opinion) incredible quality behind it. 2D games don't tend to have this issue as often because of the art style varying from game to game, however can still suffer the same issue if other aspects are lacking.

Now onto the point of this post: What aspect of a game sets it apart the most for you?

Feel free to comment games you feel like break away from the mold (Even if they are ren'py 3D VN's lol) or if you believe games even need to stand out to be special.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
1. You forgot "Fetish" which is a crucial factor when determining the enjoyment from an adult game, maybe even more important than the aspects you mentioned. It could be a powerful hook in for some players and a complete deal breaker for others.

2. The boring, "mature" yet obvious answer is "combination of several aspects". A game could have amazing art but the grindy gameplay will make you tear your hair out in frustration or great characters marred by lazy art. While I understand the temptation to ask for "the most important aspect", I believe the real answer for an adult VN is "The fetish I like done well, the rest of the aspects are executed in a passable manner".

Reactions: 246 and Douve

Douve

Jun 1, 2017
Like you I tend to prefer 2D games (sometimes I don't like the art direction due to the large variety of style in 2D). But I have no issue with 3D (execpt from thing like the weird cell-shaded thing or idk what, basically I prefer Daz's style over the others.) Still I want the art to be at least good quality, I don't like things that seems to date from cheap 2010.

To answer your question the most important thing to me are the characters and the narration. Not the story I don't realy care about story, I mean it's a good plus but as long as the narration is well done, as it use the right words in sex scenes or have a good sense of humor, as it create interesting characters I'm fine with it. But it have to be mixed with good visuals.
I don't really care about the gameplay it just have to give me some choices from time to time even if it doesn't really change a lot of things (better if it does), I find no interest at all in kinetic novels.

You forgot "Fetish" which is a crucial factor when determining the enjoyment from an adult game
That's what I meant by good narration, if the narration is well done it can turn something that is not my biggest fetish to something as exiting as my best fetish.

HimerosWhims

Mar 22, 2018
1. You forgot "Fetish" which is a crucial factor when determining the enjoyment from an adult game, maybe even more important than the aspects you mentioned. It could be a powerful hook in for some players and a complete deal breaker for others.

2. The boring, "mature" yet obvious answer is "combination of several aspects". A game could have amazing art but the grindy gameplay will make you tear your hair out in frustration or great characters marred by lazy art. While I understand the temptation to ask for "the most important aspect", I believe the real answer for an adult VN is "The fetish I like done well, the rest of the aspects are executed in a passable manner".
Interesting, to be completely honest, I didn't even consider that for some reason. I suppose that would fit into "other" but you make a great point. Also yes obviously a combination of these factors is important, this post was more so out of curiosity out of the 3 options which was most important

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
Good writing, graphics and animations are all wonderful. And probably necessary to make any game "great".

But the most important basic foundation needs to be the gameplay. Give me, as the player, some control over where I go and what I do in which order. Who to interact with, locations, ect, and then let me feel as if the choices that I'm making are having an impact on unlocking new content, and how the relationships with the characters progress. That keeps me invested and keeps the entire process more satisfying.

If its an absolutely beautiful and well written hallway VN without that interaction, then I'm going to have a hard time really enjoying it, and I find myself getting lost as to who the characters are and what happened with each one.