[R>Artist 2D] Paid The Dark Knight (Recruiting character artist for paid work/partnership)

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
main_menu.png

Greetings!

My team is working on The Dark Knight, an action/adventure/romance nsfw visual novel with a sfw version, and we are looking for a 2d artist for the character art.

In this game, you play as Elias, a dark knight who has been left roaming the Mistlands after his dark overlord was defeated at the end of the last war. Elias hunts down monsters to live by. On this day, was expecting hunting down an eldrich monstruosity, but his morning started very differently when he was awoken by an intruder trying to enter the cabin he'd elected to sleep in.
Upon subduing the intruder, he learns that she is lost in this forest and is trying to escape people looking for her. Interrupted by a few of the said people, who are none other than elite mercenaries the slavers employ when they want to take down important targets, he decides that he is interested in the girl, whose name he learns is Elena.

It is a dumb idea to oppose the slavers, but Elias can't stop himself. Maybe because of how pretty Elena is. Maybe because of the one she reminds him of. Or maybe because of the whispers in his mind, from a Goddess he has forsaken a long time ago...

So, your job consists of picking up the character art where our previous artist left it off. The demo of the project is almost done, and will release soon. What we need is someone who can join in and finish the character art for the remaining of the chapter. This can be either part-time or full time, as you will be paid by commission (I am amenable to making other arrangements if you prefer so.)
We mostly contact via discord, and we have our own development/community server, which you can find .

Here is the quality level we're expecting for this project:

elena1.png

Thank you very much for reading!
If you're interested in looking up our project, you can find a decent amount of information on
, or in our discord server.

Last edited:

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Heya! I'm a 2d artist here's my discord eggobeggo#7775
Thank you very much for showing interest to this project. Looked at your portfolio and I am looking for something different. I will keep you in mind for future projects ;)

zzoopi

Jun 17, 2017
I am interested in this project. Please have a look at my portfolio and let me know if you would like to talk.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I am interested in this project. Please have a look at my portfolio and let me know if you would like to talk.
Hello zzoopi. I looked at your portfolio and the first thing I want to say is that I think you have a lot of potential. I loved your drawings. They are not quite on the level of what I am looking for. If you keep practicing, I am certain your skills will become in high demands, and I will definitely follow your progress.
Thank you very much for offering your services, I appreciated it a lot :giggle:

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
This level of art is hard to find on F95, I think you should look on a website where a lot of artists are around, like DeviantArt or reddit.com/r/hungryartists (or something like that).

This kind of art takes a lot of time (drawing/colouring/shading/lighting)

Reactions: Ambir

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
This level of art is hard to find on F95, I think you should look on a website where a lot of artists are around, like DeviantArt or reddit.com/r/hungryartists (or something like that).

This kind of art takes a lot of time (drawing/colouring/shading/lighting)
My way of thinking is that if I get my name out there, it allows people to contact me. F95 isn't the only place I have made posts on, although it is by far the place where I have gotten the most interest. So far, I have had two people who I believe have the quality level I want. I am just keeping the post open until I make a final decision as to who I am picking.

I think you underestimate the amount of talented people who visit these forums. Case in point, the post just after yours shows a remarkable level of skills.

You have my thanks for the advice tho. These are places where I hadn't thought of looking, and as my need for art expends (which it tends to do), I will definitely look to these places (or if I don't find anyone on here, which I highly doubt, as there have been some seriously amazing people contacting me) :giggle:

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
My way of thinking is that if I get my name out there, it allows people to contact me. F95 isn't the only place I have made posts on, although it is by far the place where I have gotten the most interest. So far, I have had two people who I believe have the quality level I want. I am just keeping the post open until I make a final decision as to who I am picking.

I think you underestimate the amount of talented people who visit these forums. Case in point, the post just after yours shows a remarkable level of skills.

You have my thanks for the advice tho. These are places where I hadn't thought of looking, and as my need for art expends (which it tends to do), I will definitely look to these places (or if I don't find anyone on here, which I highly doubt, as there have been some seriously amazing people contacting me) :giggle:
I really didn't mean to give you the impression I am underestimating the people on this forum :D I know a lot of people visit this forum, and of course some of those people will be exceptional artists, but what I wanted to say is that DeviantArt or reddit.com/r/hungryartists is where this group of people hang out, so I think you have more different artists to pick from if you compare it to this forum :D

And I agree, some of the arts I have seen in this thread does look great! I am very happy a lot of amazing people are contacting you man :D, I am sure you will be able to create a kickass game :D

zzoopi

Jun 17, 2017
Hello zzoopi. I looked at your portfolio and the first thing I want to say is that I think you have a lot of potential. I loved your drawings. They are not quite on the level of what I am looking for. If you keep practicing, I am certain your skills will become in high demands, and I will definitely follow your progress.
Thank you very much for offering your services, I appreciated it a lot :giggle:
animeface16.jpg
I'm curious. What makes you feel that my work isn't of a high enough level? What is it about the image (I'm attaching to this post) that is weaker than the image you attached as your 'indication of quality'?
Thank you for looking at my work.. and the kind words.. but I'm more interested in what constructive criticism you may offer.

Thanks.

Reactions: Crystal Clover

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
So, generally I think your pictures are very near the quality I am looking for. When I showed it to my artists, the answer was that there were some issues with the proportions and with how the clothes were shaped.
Let me give you an exemple that was pointed out to me and with which I agree.

reed-kindt-anime3.jpg

(Please excuse my handwriting, not that used to write using a tablet)
So. In this picture, I see a couple of issues with her pose. The shoulder line is not aligned with the boobs line and it creates a weird effect (her shoulder doesn't look right to me). The arm I circled looks longer than her other one and has a weird bend to it. Finally, there is an issue with her ass. It's kind of a bump on her figure, which makes her look deformed, rahter than with an ass.

My artists also pointed out that there were weird crumpling to the clothes that were not exactly consistent with how the clothes would crumple if worn on a human.

Honestly, before those were pointed out to me, I thought she looked good. I just think it's apparent enough and that a close look will reveal it. As such, I believe it requires more work. Really, most of the work needed is on anatomy and how to mimic humans more closely.

Overall, I think you are very talented and that those are just bits of knowledge and practice needed to acquire. I truly believe you are excellent and will become even more so if you persevere and keep learning.

Hope this helped, and I am looking forward to see what you come up with next!

zzoopi

Jun 17, 2017
That's oddly funny.. you picked the one that I actually used a 3d reference for. ref3.jpg

I generally use real photo reference.. but this one I decided to try a software reference.. just to see if it is useful.
I agree that clothing is something I need to work on.. and have been. But not likely in the way you imagine.

You didn't comment on the other picture I attached (drawn from imagination, no reference) .. but no need... I'll leave you alone now.

Good luck.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I have found the people I needed. Thank you everyone! When I need more people, I will be sure to make a new post.