The demerits of developing a "female protangonist" game?

F22232425

Dec 2, 2017
I wonder is it only me having hard time if I were to develop a female protangonist game.

Here are the two major demerits I think of:

1. It's strange to control a female character to have sex when you're male, and often times the protangonist may end up with being turned to a lessibian.
2. For the reason why female protangnoist ends up as a lessibian is that, if not, you can only focus on only one female involved in sex from that point of view while male players want to see more female characters in game.

What do you think?

• Angry
Reactions: Canto Forte

215303j

the protangonist may end up with being turned to a lessibian.
And what's wrong with that?

It is indeed how many of many female protagonist games end up, but I'm fine with it and like playing them anyway.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
lessibian is that
wHAT IS A LEssIBIAN??

You have to know how to write for the crowd you adorn.
Unless you got believable dialogue ... the stigma, the hate, the loss of any thing holy, the expungment of any classical encroachment, the madness, the closetted demEanor, the flamboyant disgusting flips in your face obnoxious superiority fits, the moood swings off the rails, the mediocre non-exitent skills of having and really caring for your partner that, by the way, HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS, COPY CAT, CLONES, SMACK RIGHT THE SAME EXACT BAD STUFF TO DEAL WITH!

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Writing a lot of internal monologue and coming up with character motivations for the opposite sex can be difficult. I hate male characters written by women who don't understand their motivations and don't bother researching any or getting help with it.
Using tropes helps, instead of trying to write a realistic/serious/deep character you try to make a functional/passable one.
Alternatively you can just write a 40y old males thoughts unaltered into the dialogue of a young girl and make everyone cringe.

All female protags should be bi-sexual in practice.
I don't see what possible issues there is with you the player controlling a character who isn't same gender as you or something, it's not meant to be you?

Reactions: LaPein

F22232425

Dec 2, 2017
wHAT IS A LEssIBIAN??

You have to know how to write for the crowd you adorn.
Unless you got believable dialogue ... the stigma, the hate, the loss of any thing holy, the expungment of any classical encroachment, the madness, the closetted demEanor, the flamboyant disgusting flips in your face obnoxious superiority fits, the moood swings off the rails, the mediocre non-exitent skills of having and really caring for your partner that, by the way, HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS, COPY CAT, CLONES, SMACK RIGHT THE SAME EXACT BAD STUFF TO DEAL WITH!
I am not English native speaker, so you sound like Shakespeare to me!

• Love
Reactions: Canto Forte

DonkeyFace

Dec 24, 2017
It's only an issue for players that have a difficult time realizing that you don't have to project yourself onto the MC. I actually rarely do that. So I love turning a female protagonist into a cum sucking whore.

Reactions: LaPein and Iramis

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
It's only an issue for players that have a difficult time realizing that you don't have to project yourself onto the MC.
By the same logic, I can only assume you're having a difficult time realizing that some people just aren't into that... :rolleyes:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
GAmers have to immerse into the story, have to let go and hapy go lucky share all the MC experiences
with open heart and full trottle. Otherwise there is no unwinding and all gaming is for naught!

Reactions: recreation

Iramis

Dec 3, 2018
1. It's strange to control a female character to have sex when you're male, and often times the protangonist may end up with being turned to a lessibian.
2. For the reason why female protangnoist ends up as a lessibian is that, if not, you can only focus on only one female involved in sex from that point of view while male players want to see more female characters in game.
What do you think?
It's strange for some people to control a female character to have sex when they are male, but not all, not even a minority, quite a significant number have no problem, you just have to look at the number of games and their popularity. Unless you believe all those players are female.

While most female protagonist games seem to have at least a few lesbian scenes, most of the content generally is hetero, pure lesbian games seem a minority, so it's disingenuous to say players end up going lesbian route when most of the content is not focused on that, why do you think they would even make that if no one plays it. Most female protagonist games (majority of japanese rpg ones seem to be from what is presented here) focus on corruption, rape, humiliation, degradation, mind break etc, do you think that's made for a female audience.

In the OP you asked what are demerits of developing a female protagonist, to that end what you propose is not really a demerit, it's just personal preference. People who don't like NTR don't play games with NTR, same with Futa, vore, scat, etc. You have to know your audience going in, FPS games are probably the most popular type of video games (ignoring mobile games), that doesn't mean that strategy games have demerit because there's no first person perspective.

If you are actually thinking of developing a game, only go for themes and fetishes that interest you, most developers seem to do just that, don't force yourself to go for things that don't interest you. If you really want to challenge yourself and go for it, and having sex with other men revolts you then go for Vanilla lesbian games, no problem with that.

As for an actual demerit, I don't think there are any inherent ones but some games may require more effort in the writing department to make a female protagonist work. Also, I think female protagonists require more work in general compared to their male counterparts as the Female MC generally carries the game, while you can get away with a blank slate self insert protagonist with minimal personality in Male MC games if the rest of the game is decent. (just my opinion, haven't made a game or anything).

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
male vs female protagonist

I find that the common difference is the theme of play and control.

Male protagonists game often involve being in control of the world, aka controlling the outcome of multiple character relationships. You have different characters to tailor different fantasies.

Female protagonist's games often involve being focused on a particular character or fantasy, aka you control the story that happens to the main character. to have different fantasies you often need to replay the game.

my only guess is these patterns come as a result of our current mindset of sexes given the current social norms

There are many games that try to cross over, such as honing in a male character to follow a particular fantacy, or trying to get a female hero to be in multiple relationships, and I think games struggle because they are trying to cross over because it is breaking the underlining social norm rule of, males in controls vs female ... subs? idk, just a thought.