The difference between NTR and Cheating

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Hey!

The question may seem silly on the surface. I have never encountered the term NTR before. From what I have read it is some sort of cheating. I would like to find out exactly what this is all about. Thank you in advance for all your answers.

Iyarashi

Apr 4, 2021
Nowadays, I feel like people label too many situations as NTR, just because they feel like it. NTR is mostly about being cheated on. For instance, you're the game's MC and you have your love interest. She's cheating on you and it is described in a way to make you jealous and kinda aware of it. That would be NTR, I guess. One could say cheating is done in secret, while NTR is not, but... it ain't always the case, NTR can also be done in secret, however, usually it is not.

Here you can find this forum's definition of NTR so it can help you label games properly:

Japanese acronym for , used to define a genre of Eroge (Hentai Game), meaning " ". In short, the main protagonist's loved one(s) are taken or seduced away from him and the heroine might be willing or unwilling. This is to cause an emotion of deep jealousy on the reader.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
NTR is just Japanese cuckoldry but according to some on F95 they make up their own definitions. The rest of us just nod and smile at them.

So you have the actual definition of NTR which is pretty much cheating.....

Then you have a certain section F95's version of NTR which is any woman at all regardless of relationship status being touched by a man that isn't the MC .... they are weird.

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
In short, I like a girl, I am even in love with her, but she has sex with other men and I know it?

D

Deleted member 3145675

Hi,
to make it short and concise - NTR is purely a Japanese concept - even when translated to "cuckoldry" it does not compute with Western models (so far) - in NTR the MC can feel jealousy or betrayal even if it comes from a logically non-related source (mother - imaginary GF - neighbor ...)

most MCs who are threatened (in-game) by ntr trope are mainly egotistical man-babies with no self-esteem or sense of self-worth (common in Japan where the "individual" is only worth what it brings to the community/family/company)

the concept of manhood in Japan is kinda fucked-up for those who are not top alpha killers (90%) the burden of fear of failure at being what society expect from a man is - let's say - heavy.

to complicate things - man/woman relationships in Japan are... not easy. women can study and have jobs up until marriage - point at which they are expected to stay home and care for their family (home - husband - kid if they have one - step parents - as any good housewife should do) all of which is not really exhilarating for any woman (even less with a degree and a start of career)

now when you consider the low self-esteem (small dick) husband stuck in a boring job envious of any male better than himself (that means many)
and the fact that his wife spend her day alone - but also goes outside for shopping - and as such can sucumb to her "base urges" should any other man tempt her with his raging testosterone and money (Every body knows women cannot resist an alpha male...)

you enter then the ntr domain (tread carefully) (you can now substitute "wife" with any living female creature denomination possible)

On the top of the door leading to this Domain you read "abandon hope all ye who enter here" (Dante)

Buddawg

Aug 12, 2017
In short.. NTR means the one cheated on is in a toxic situation. Gets demeaned/degrated, is often forced to watch etc etc etc.. Pretty much all the worst possible situations regarding cheating. Jealousy being a key factor.
Cheating is just that, cheating. Its in secret and usually without any toxicity.

Closest term in english would be cuckholding. Not cheating.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Cheating = Adultery, i.e. a spouse not honoring monogamy in their relationship, unbeknownst to the other.
Cuckolding/cuckqueaning = as above, but with the knowledge and possibly participation of the spouse. AKA Netorase.
Netorare = much more broad, can be any number of scenarios, including between people who aren't spouses. The only set criterion seems to be a feeling of one person being "stolen" from another.

I've seen some posters say that some westerners make up definitions of NTR based on insecurities... that appears to be partially wrong. I've seen my share of (non-incest) mom-son NTR, sister-brother NTR and childhood friend NTR by Japanese artists and considered NTR by Japanese audiences, with the manga tagged as such in Japanese. Then again, I've also seen some numpties here call something NTR when no one else would and it's clearly not the intent of the dev. A maledom sharing his sex slave isn't NTR by any definition, no one's being "stolen" from anyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1371216

NTR is just Japanese cuckoldry but according to some on F95 they make up their own definitions. The rest of us just nod and smile at them.

So you have the actual definition of NTR which is pretty much cheating.....

Then you have a certain section F95's version of NTR which is any woman at all regardless of relationship status being touched by a man that isn't the MC .... they are weird.
People consider any girl having sex with others NTR because most of the time it serves to appease NTR fetish, which is jealousy and passiveness. Going only by dictionary definition is misleading for the NTR tag here.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
People consider any girl having sex with others NTR because most of the time it serves to appease NTR fetish, which is jealousy and passiveness. Going only by dictionary definition is misleading for the NTR tag here.
There are devs that try and tell an actual story with characters that lead their own lives with their own lovers etc...

Then there are those that appear and cry NTR.

That is not, nor will ever be NTR and I will always see those people as weird. I have to say weird, this isn't off topic and I can't say what I mean but I have a very, very, very low opinion of that group of people.

Those that cry NTR when it isn't NTR and then try and bully the dev to change the content. Just fuck those people.